Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Seagull27
    • By Seagull27 7th Jul 17, 3:46 PM
    • 537Posts
    • 80Thanks
    Seagull27
    0 WOW
    Ryanair Baggage labels - do you now have to DIY at the airport?
    • 7th Jul 17, 3:46 PM
    0 WOW
    Ryanair Baggage labels - do you now have to DIY at the airport? 7th Jul 17 at 3:46 PM
    Hi all

I spoke to someone briefly the other day who said they have recently flown with Ryanair (I'm 95% sure that's who she said the airliner was) and they had to use a self service system to print their luggage labels. It resulted in queues, confusion, and ultimately missing their flight. But that's another story...

...I am flying with Ryanair next month and so was hoping to find out more about this. A quick google has not turned up anything so I wondered if any frequent flyers here have more details? Unfortunately we were both in a rush and therefore unable to discuss it at any length.

Many thanks

Max
Page 2
    • Seagull27
    • By Seagull27 10th Jul 17, 12:18 PM
    • 537 Posts
    • 80 Thanks
    Seagull27
    Hi agarnett

Thanks again for taking the time to provide all that info. I'm afraid to say we are indeed talking at cross purposes as I fully intend to put a bag in the hold and know I'll have to pay for that. Sorry if my OP suggested otherwise; although having read it again just now I can't see that it does... My only concern was with potential queues, delays, and ultimately missed flights, as a result of having to use a self service machine (for hold luggage). And that concern was only based on a two minute quick chat with a fellow dog walker on the side of a corn field!

And hi Lorian....

Thanks for describing the full procedure. That makes it very clear. And no doubt if the back pack cannot go on the manned conveyors, the people there will tell you to take it to the "oversized" area, which is what usually happens in the past. I think it is because of all the straps on the bags which means they might end up getting caught in the machines...

Thanks to you both and to everyone else for the time and help.
    • Lorian
    • By Lorian 10th Jul 17, 12:22 PM
    • 4,044 Posts
    • 2,194 Thanks
    Lorian
    Thanks for describing the full procedure. That makes it very clear. And no doubt if the back pack cannot go on the manned conveyors, the people there will tell you to take it to the "oversized" area, which is what usually happens in the past. I think it is because of all the straps on the bags which means they might end up getting caught in the machines...
    Originally posted by Seagull27
    You are correct. This happens to people in front of my quite often. Anything heavy, funny shaped or with strings/straps
    • agarnett
    • By agarnett 10th Jul 17, 12:22 PM
    • 1,282 Posts
    • 534 Thanks
    agarnett
    I fly a lot. Rarely is there a queue at these machines where I fly (not stanstead). If there is its usually just formed by bemused people.

Go to weighing machine machine (often there is little/no queing ettiquette for machines)
    Scan boarding pass
    Put case on scales
    confirm there are no prohibited items
    wait for lable to be printed
    (on some) peel off backing of label
    attach label to handle of case (wrap around and stick two halves together)
    Confirm label attached
    Keep receipt safe
    Take bag to bad drop PAST the scales - manned (Queuing Ettiquette applies here)
    (present boarding pass and ID) put bag on conveyor.

It takes longer to type this than to actually do it
    Originally posted by Lorian
    Hi Lorian

At your airport (not Stansted) are you saying there is a completely separate bag drop for DIY labelled bags? Obviously if it is truly a way to avoid queues at the normal bag drop desk, then it makes supreme sense to do as you say, but at Stansted, I have never noticed a separate bag drop, other than the oversized or fragile items one, and I don't think many travellers even know that one is there either! It is possible that is exactly the conveyor at Stansted which DIY'ers can use, but I wouldn't mind betting that anyone using machines at Stansted (that is if they still exist - I even have half an idea they may have removed them at one point!) might still blindly queue up with everyone else dropping off bags at the desk and expecting the staff to do the labelling!

All Ryanair airports are different (even the bag sizers according to one recent thread!)
    Last edited by agarnett; 10-07-2017 at 12:28 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,772Posts Today

6,717Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin