Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ceegee
    • By ceegee 7th Jul 17, 3:35 PM
    • 791Posts
    • 485Thanks
    ceegee
    Access to work organisations.
    • 7th Jul 17, 3:35 PM
    Access to work organisations. 7th Jul 17 at 3:35 PM
    Has anyone had a successful experience with these, or are the organisations just grubbing around for government/EU funding?

I am 61 and have problems with my mental health. My current job is both physically and mentally draining and only pays minimum wage.
    I have been looking for a different job for 3 years now and have been unsuccessful.

Therefore I decided to make use of the organisations which purport to be able to help find work. Results as follows:

Shaw Trust.... no programmes in this area.

The Age Employment Network........no programmes in this area.

Working Links........no programmes in this area.

PLUSS.......no programmes in this area.

National Careers Service....more aimed at young people and suggested I try .............

Remploy............despite all the assurances they gave me, only 1 interview came from 5 months with them (unsuccessful).

Are these organisations worth all the government/EU funding that they get? Do they actually ever find jobs for people? Has anyone had a fruitful experience with them?
    "Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow........"
Page 1
    • sangie595
    • By sangie595 7th Jul 17, 5:56 PM
    • 3,723 Posts
    • 6,099 Thanks
    sangie595
    • 7th Jul 17, 5:56 PM
    • 7th Jul 17, 5:56 PM
    That wasn't what I was expecting from the title. You do know that "access to work" is something completely different?

I wasn't aware that anyone was funded to act as an employment agency for people with disabilities who already had employment. And even if they are, that doesn't mean that they have jobs for a particular individual. They can only work with the jobs that are available and which your are suited to do. That may be none. We don't know that isn't the case.

What have you been looking for, and why do you thing some agency might be successful when you haven't been! There must be a reason you couldn't get another job in three years, and they are working with the same market and the same raw material!
    • IAmWales
    • By IAmWales 7th Jul 17, 6:17 PM
    • 1,227 Posts
    • 2,592 Thanks
    IAmWales
    • 7th Jul 17, 6:17 PM
    • 7th Jul 17, 6:17 PM
    Agreed, Access to Work is a scheme that funds workplace adjustments.

The agencies you refer to cover some locations but not all, the government awards contracts regionally. Also they will have a defined client base, for instance those on long term JSA, lone parents claiming IS, and those in receipt of disability benefits. You don't appear to fall into any of these groups.

What kind of support are you looking for? Even if you were unemployed they will not place you in a job, they would support you whilst you do your own search/ apply etc.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,405Posts Today

6,325Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @thismorning: 'Sometimes the best gift is releasing somebody else from the obligation of having to give to you' says @MartinSLewis. Do y?

• Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Follow Martin