Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Daddadlington
    • By Daddadlington 7th Jul 17, 3:29 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Daddadlington
    mimimum fee
    • 7th Jul 17, 3:29 PM
    mimimum fee 7th Jul 17 at 3:29 PM
    I am interested in applying for a Tesco Purchases credit card for emergency purchases with the intention of paying off each month. I haven't had a credit card before but one question I cant find the answer to is this: If I pay off the balance each month so that the balance is zero do I still get charged the minimum fee of £25. There maybe some months where I do not use the card so there is nothing to pay off. Do I still get charged?
    Any help is appreciated,
    thanks,
    Daddadlington xxx
Page 1
    • molerat
    • By molerat 7th Jul 17, 3:35 PM
    • 17,336 Posts
    • 11,519 Thanks
    molerat
    • 7th Jul 17, 3:35 PM
    • 7th Jul 17, 3:35 PM
    No. The minimum of £25 is only if you owe more than that amount.

The best thing for you to do is set up a direct debit for the full payment and let it look after itself.
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk/donations.html
    • dresdendave
    • By dresdendave 7th Jul 17, 6:42 PM
    • 658 Posts
    • 770 Thanks
    dresdendave
    • 7th Jul 17, 6:42 PM
    • 7th Jul 17, 6:42 PM
    As per molerat's advice, set up a pay in full DD.

Rather than only using the card for emergencies only it might be worth making a small purchase each month just so you know the DD is active.

It won't cost you a penny in interest and will be a plus point for your credit history.
    • Daddadlington
    • By Daddadlington 7th Jul 17, 8:13 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Daddadlington
    • 7th Jul 17, 8:13 PM
    • 7th Jul 17, 8:13 PM
    Thank you #molerat and #dresdendave. That makes me happy and I am now educated. I have never heard of the Pay in full DD either and will definitely consider this. Thanks,
    • PeacefulWaters
    • By PeacefulWaters 7th Jul 17, 8:30 PM
    • 7,175 Posts
    • 8,839 Thanks
    PeacefulWaters
    • 7th Jul 17, 8:30 PM
    • 7th Jul 17, 8:30 PM
    I'd also suggest lining up your terminology knowledge.

A fee is an additional charge by the card company, such as adding £12 onto your bill for a late payment.

The minimum "fee" you refer to is a "minimum payment" towards any balance you have owing on the card. Not a fee.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,016Posts Today

9,619Users online

Martin's Twitter