Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Potato Fist
    • By Potato Fist 7th Jul 17, 3:20 PM
    • 70Posts
    • 117Thanks
    Potato Fist
    What was the biggest lie on your CV?
    • 7th Jul 17, 3:20 PM
    What was the biggest lie on your CV? 7th Jul 17 at 3:20 PM
    I was deleting old documents from my laptop earlier and found an old CV i had written years ago. Some of the lies on there made me chuckle

I had given myself 5 GCSE's A-C grade, which was a massive lie considering the highest GCSE i got was a D

The best though, was how i plugged a 4 month gap when i was unemployed when i was 20. I wrote that i had been volunteering in Asia building water supplies for people in remote villages

My CV is honest now though! So, what was the biggest lie on your CV?
Page 1
    • fairy lights
    • By fairy lights 7th Jul 17, 4:40 PM
    • 7,865 Posts
    • 25,930 Thanks
    fairy lights
    • 7th Jul 17, 4:40 PM
    • 7th Jul 17, 4:40 PM
    All the stuff about being a good team player, having excellent time keeping, being self motivated etc. (Not to mention the typing speed I claimed to have)
    Fortunately I am motivated by not wanting to end up homeless so do a pretty good job of my work.
    • Fruitcake
    • By Fruitcake 7th Jul 17, 5:05 PM
    • 39,743 Posts
    • 79,541 Thanks
    Fruitcake
    • 7th Jul 17, 5:05 PM
    • 7th Jul 17, 5:05 PM
    I've never lied on my CV for the simple reason that I have never had one. I applied to college in 1972 straight from school, and they offered a work placement with a five year apprenticeship at a well known aero engineering company.
    When my apprenticeship finished I was offered a permanent placement, and stayed there for the next 39 years.

My boss since I retired is my Lovely Cousin and she never asked for a CV, not even before we got married, so nope, no lies at all on my CV at all.
    I married my cousin. I had to...
    I don't have a sister.

All my screwdrivers are cordless.
    "You're Safety Is My Primary Concern Dear" - Laks
    • SamsReturn
    • By SamsReturn 7th Jul 17, 5:22 PM
    • 458 Posts
    • 903 Thanks
    SamsReturn
    • 7th Jul 17, 5:22 PM
    • 7th Jul 17, 5:22 PM
    I don't tell lies.
    • z1a
    • By z1a 7th Jul 17, 5:30 PM
    • 522 Posts
    • 410 Thanks
    z1a
    • 7th Jul 17, 5:30 PM
    • 7th Jul 17, 5:30 PM
    Haven't needed one up to now, and at 58 unlikely to in the future. Many contacts anyway if something drastic happens.
    • Murphybear
    • By Murphybear 7th Jul 17, 6:11 PM
    • 3,099 Posts
    • 6,382 Thanks
    Murphybear
    • 7th Jul 17, 6:11 PM
    • 7th Jul 17, 6:11 PM
    I claimed Latin O level. I had actually failed it twice. But what I remember comes in very useful for crosswords
    • heatherw_01
    • By heatherw_01 7th Jul 17, 6:34 PM
    • 4,790 Posts
    • 3,515 Thanks
    heatherw_01
    • 7th Jul 17, 6:34 PM
    • 7th Jul 17, 6:34 PM
    Haven't lied on it
    • ScarletMarble
    • By ScarletMarble 8th Jul 17, 8:42 AM
    • 6,816 Posts
    • 12,521 Thanks
    ScarletMarble
    • 8th Jul 17, 8:42 AM
    • 8th Jul 17, 8:42 AM
    I just put month and year of dates of employment. As a couple of jobs, I resigned with no job to go to. But found work the following month. Besides, many people finish one job on the last Friday of the month and start the following month on the first .
    • Vickimichelle
    • By Vickimichelle 25th Jul 17, 2:51 AM
    • 1,529 Posts
    • 5,784 Thanks
    Vickimichelle
    • 25th Jul 17, 2:51 AM
    • 25th Jul 17, 2:51 AM
    Being a team player when I'm actually an ocd control freak & need to do everything myself so I know it's done properly.
    • onomatopoeia99
    • By onomatopoeia99 25th Jul 17, 8:00 AM
    • 3,086 Posts
    • 6,842 Thanks
    onomatopoeia99
    I haven't had one in 25 years but it was a factual statement of my qualifications and hobbies. I was rather pleased with my results in my O levels, A levels and S levels as well as my degree, so told them as they were without embellishment, nor did I make up any guff about my personality, because what would be the point? I am who I am and that would become obvious quite quickly.
    INTP, nerd, libertarian and scifi geek.
    Home is where my books are.
    • PompeyPete
    • By PompeyPete 25th Jul 17, 8:03 AM
    • 4,270 Posts
    • 5,347 Thanks
    PompeyPete
    No porkies on mine, only needed it once. Even though it only states facts, I think it's quite interesting.
    • onlyroz
    • By onlyroz 25th Jul 17, 8:03 AM
    • 13,235 Posts
    • 25,221 Thanks
    onlyroz
    I once wrote that I had an interest in astronomy. However, one interviewer was absolutely passionate about astronomy and so grilled me about it for quite some time. Turns out that going once or twice to the university "Astrosoc" club for the free beer doesn't really count...
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,395Posts Today

9,126Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin