Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • JWalkden
    • By JWalkden 7th Jul 17, 2:44 PM
    • 9Posts
    • 1Thanks
    JWalkden
    Affect of being pregnant or dependents
    • 7th Jul 17, 2:44 PM
    Affect of being pregnant or dependents 7th Jul 17 at 2:44 PM
    Hi all,

Just looking for a bit of advice as I'm.

Me and my husband are looking to get our first mortgage together - our mortgage advisor did their checks and found someone who would accept us.

However we cant proceed until I receive some inheritance (in progress) however where I'm stuck is - stick to today and I'm now 6 months pregnant, I will be taking the full year mat leave which means no pay in the last 3 months (not an issue as some inheritance will be set aside for this) - but I believe mortgage lenders will want to now calculate my income at zero - is that correct?

Is there any different if we wait until I have given birth an declare a dependent? (obviously if done in the first year of birth I will still be on mat leave) or would we have to wait until the end of my mat leave next year?

Thank you,
Page 1
    • amnblog
    • By amnblog 7th Jul 17, 2:50 PM
    • 9,751 Posts
    • 3,768 Thanks
    amnblog
    • 7th Jul 17, 2:50 PM
    • 7th Jul 17, 2:50 PM
    No, its not correct.

Most Lenders will work on your income on return to work.

They will allow for childcare costs and most often will ask for evidence that you have funds to bridge any drop in income during the maternity period.
    I am a Mortgage Broker

You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Broker, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
    • JWalkden
    • By JWalkden 7th Jul 17, 3:40 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    JWalkden
    • 7th Jul 17, 3:40 PM
    • 7th Jul 17, 3:40 PM
    Thats great! I just found loads of articles saying they take whatever the lowest income is over your Mat leave hence the panic. Do you know if before or after birth would make any difference?

Thank you again
    • amnblog
    • By amnblog 7th Jul 17, 5:09 PM
    • 9,751 Posts
    • 3,768 Thanks
    amnblog
    • 7th Jul 17, 5:09 PM
    • 7th Jul 17, 5:09 PM
    Before or after birth makes no difference. It all just need to be handled properly.
    I am a Mortgage Broker

You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Broker, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,681Posts Today

7,096Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @thismorning: 'Sometimes the best gift is releasing somebody else from the obligation of having to give to you' says @MartinSLewis. Do y?

• Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Follow Martin