Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • phoebe1989seb
    • By phoebe1989seb 7th Jul 17, 2:29 PM
    • 3,125Posts
    • 6,401Thanks
    phoebe1989seb
    Two injured grey squirrels in three days.....
    • 7th Jul 17, 2:29 PM
    Two injured grey squirrels in three days..... 7th Jul 17 at 2:29 PM
    Just wondering if this is a coincidence.....

Since moving here two and a half years ago we've always had plenty of grey squirrels in our quite wooded, quarter acre garden. Despite having two rather boisterous dogs who enjoy barking at them as they - the squirrels - leap from tree to tree, we've never seen an injured one before. Although the dogs have access to the garden while we are at home, they rarely spend time outside unsupervised.

Day before yesterday I spotted a squirrel dangling from a very tall tree, apparently unable to climb properly, one back leg hanging limp. Not long after it fell from the tree and despite the best efforts of myself and DH it eluded capture.

We assumed it had either recovered or crawled away to die, but the following morning on letting the dogs out to play ball, I turned my back for five seconds only to find them having a tug of war with the poor thing. I quickly rescued it, but it died moments later.

Today we came home from a shopping trip, let the dogs out and they immediately made for a wood pile where, lo and behold was a second squirrel with the exact same injury. The dogs were removed inside and we attempted to catch the squirrel intending to take it to a wildlife rescue place, but it managed to get up (the same) tree where it hung the same as the first, back leg/legs hanging limp.

Now we dare not let the dogs outside, but more importantly I'm wondering what has been injuring the squirrels in the first place? Is it just a weird councidence or is there likely to be some predator - I'm certain it's not the dogs as they bark on the rare occasions they get hold of small creatures - out there picking them off?

Any suggestions would be most welcome, thanx!
    Paid off mortgage early - mortgage-free since age 40 (2007)

Over £40,000 mis-sold PPI reclaimed
Page 1
    • Grenage
    • By Grenage 7th Jul 17, 3:04 PM
    • 1,313 Posts
    • 1,241 Thanks
    Grenage
    • 7th Jul 17, 3:04 PM
    • 7th Jul 17, 3:04 PM
    Anyone nearby fond of air rifles?
    • phoebe1989seb
    • By phoebe1989seb 7th Jul 17, 6:09 PM
    • 3,125 Posts
    • 6,401 Thanks
    phoebe1989seb
    • 7th Jul 17, 6:09 PM
    • 7th Jul 17, 6:09 PM
    Anyone nearby fond of air rifles?
    Originally posted by Grenage
    Thanks, Grenage.....but no, not that I'm aware of. I could retrieve the dead one from the bin and check it over I guess

• Grenage
    • By Grenage 7th Jul 17, 11:37 PM
    • 1,313 Posts
    • 1,241 Thanks
    Grenage
    • 7th Jul 17, 11:37 PM
    • 7th Jul 17, 11:37 PM
    Thanks, Grenage.....but no, not that I'm aware of. I could retrieve the dead one from the bin and check it over I guess
    Originally posted by phoebe1989seb
    Maybe just hope it stops at three.
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 8th Jul 17, 2:45 PM
    • 23,574 Posts
    • 89,434 Thanks
    Davesnave
    • 8th Jul 17, 2:45 PM
    • 8th Jul 17, 2:45 PM
    Where I used to live, licensed shooters would cull the squirrel populations in the local parks at this time of year. Not politically correct, so it was done at around 4 to 5am.

It could also be road injuries, but on two at the same time?.

One of the old, illegal rabbit gin traps, which were my first thought, would not leave escaping creatures with legs intact.

Apart from those ideas, partial paralysis is a possibility, perhaps from some kind of deliberate poisoning.

Out of ideas now, but not a nice thing for you to discover or deal with.
    'A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they'll never sit in.'
    • phoebe1989seb
    • By phoebe1989seb 9th Jul 17, 11:17 AM
    • 3,125 Posts
    • 6,401 Thanks
    phoebe1989seb
    • 9th Jul 17, 11:17 AM
    • 9th Jul 17, 11:17 AM
    Thanks both No sign of the second injured squirrel and no third one......yet!

I wonder if you could be right re: poisoning, Dave. There definitely didn't appear to be any open wounds that either DH or I could see......

• Jojo the Tightfisted
    • By Jojo the Tightfisted 9th Jul 17, 5:02 PM
    • 23,248 Posts
    • 90,229 Thanks
    Jojo the Tightfisted
    • 9th Jul 17, 5:02 PM
    • 9th Jul 17, 5:02 PM
    If you feel over the bodies, you might find a pea sized lump, which would be the pellet; animal wounds tend to heal over quickly - trapping infection.

I use the example of the old cat when he was bitten/scratched by an entire tom - there was just a tiny soft bump with no apparent wound - which opened up as I examined him . He had an abscess that needed reopening three times a day for the next fortnight, irrigating with saline, then massaging around his chin and throat to release vast amounts of evil smelling goo from the tiny, tiny hole, irrigated again and then left. It would always have closed up and was practically invisible again by the next time I called him over to remove a tiny clump of slightly spiky fur from the top of his head, just five hours later.

Got Brownie points from the vet for dealing with it, as they said when prescribing him antibiotics that they usually ended up having to do it under anaesthetic because people would assume it was healed because it had sealed up again, when it was actually spreading underneath the skin - I would assume that wild animals are very similar.
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.

Yup you are officially Rock n Roll
    Originally posted by colinw
    • Tygermoth
    • By Tygermoth 22nd Jul 17, 12:18 PM
    • 1,291 Posts
    • 2,615 Thanks
    Tygermoth
    • 22nd Jul 17, 12:18 PM
    • 22nd Jul 17, 12:18 PM
    Concur with the above. Never even noticed the bump on my Kitty until I was stroking him and popped the blinking thing - it was utterly utterly vile.

As about, it was shocking how far it tracked and how much foul smelling goop was hidden away.

After clearing it for a few days we found the air rifle pellet (we thought it was a cat fight from a tom that wandered into our garden on occasion)

Not sure where he had been to get shot - he was a doddery old dude and a homebody well passed clambering over fences and we were in the middle of nowhere.
    Please note I have a cognitive disability - as such my wording can be a bit off, muddled, misspelt or in some cases i can miss out some words totally...
    • elaineruk
    • By elaineruk 24th Jul 17, 3:01 PM
    • 61 Posts
    • 135 Thanks
    elaineruk
    • 24th Jul 17, 3:01 PM
    • 24th Jul 17, 3:01 PM
    Grey squirrels are an invasive pest and should be culled.
    • peachyprice
    • By peachyprice 24th Jul 17, 11:47 PM
    • 18,718 Posts
    • 43,031 Thanks
    peachyprice
    It could be a cat, one of mine chased all the squirrels away from the trees opposite our house and claimed them for herself. Once she died they came back.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
    • firefox1956
    • By firefox1956 26th Jul 17, 7:00 PM
    • 1,346 Posts
    • 766 Thanks
    firefox1956
    Be very careful approaching an injured or cornered grey squirrel.
    They are prone to attacking to escape.............
    • phoebe1989seb
    • By phoebe1989seb 26th Jul 17, 11:16 PM
    • 3,125 Posts
    • 6,401 Thanks
    phoebe1989seb
    Thanks for your further suggestions etc guys

The second squirrel turned up dead a few days later. One of our dogs was gingerly growling at the corpse but wouldn't go near it

Yesterday I was fence painting in the nether reaches of the garden and detected the distinct aroma of something deceased. No visual sign of further casualties, but will be keeping watch.......

• Jojo the Tightfisted
    • By Jojo the Tightfisted 27th Jul 17, 5:07 PM
    • 23,248 Posts
    • 90,229 Thanks
    Jojo the Tightfisted
    I agree with Post #2 - I reckon there's some oaf with an air rifle in the area, picking them off from outside your garden fence.

If so, they're committing a criminal offence discharging a weapon at animals on/in the direction of your property. And they're a rubbish shot, so shouldn't be allowed near a spud gun, never mind a .22. There's no excuse for failing to finish off an animal or taking a shot when you can't guarantee you'll take it out with one.
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.

Yup you are officially Rock n Roll
    Originally posted by colinw
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,354Posts Today

7,231Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Interesting, most people say they would champion a policy from a party they usually oppose. Yet is anyone brave eno? https://t.co/MWYGHunAqu

• RT @MSE_Deals: The MSE deals team are in the office nice and early to bring you full analysis of all the #BlackFriday deals throughout the?

• RT @MSE_Deals: #BlackFriday UPDATE... We've spotted some of Currys' prices are cheaper online than in its stores, eg, Sonos Play 1 £149 onl?

• Follow Martin