unused stairlift refund

2»

Comments

• unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    If it was a custom made order, then these T&C's will kick in.

Made to order isn't necessarily made to the consumers specifications though and its only the latter that is exempt from the right to cancel.

It also depends on what information the OP's dad was provided with when entering the contract. If they didn't provide the required information in a durable medium, they may not be able to make a charge for diminished value.
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • angryparcel
    angryparcel Posts: 926 Forumite
    timbstoke wrote: »
    You haven't used it,
    how do we know that and how does the company know if you have used it or not after it was installed
  • Danny_7591
    Danny_7591 Posts: 5 Forumite
    I have a death certificate to prove it wasn't used as she never came out of hospital
  • wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Danny_7591 wrote: »
    I have a death certificate to prove it wasn't used as she never came out of hospital

But doesn't that only prove that one particular person didn't use it?
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,640 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I cannot imagine the installers not checking the stairlift was working by trying it out a couple of times, so it would have been used.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • angryparcel
    angryparcel Posts: 926 Forumite
    does not proof that you have now used it or anyone else has used it, also a death cert does not prove it was not used, it is only proof of a person death
  • Danny_7591
    OK fair one I get the point, how do I help him out and prove that it wasn't used, due to the rapid decline of his wife after it was installed he spent all of his time at the hospital. All I want to do is Try and get him a bit more money back to go towards the funeral than the obsured £150 they are currently offering.
  • Danny_7591
    The item was delivered and installed on Friday the 1st July 17. the company installed it and it was paid for on credit card
  • powerful_Rogue
    powerful_Rogue Posts: 7,516 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    OK fair one I get the point, how do I help him out and prove that it wasn't used, due to the rapid decline of his wife after it was installed he spent all of his time at the hospital. All I want to do is Try and get him a bit more money back to go towards the funeral than the obsured £150 they are currently offering.

Contact the company and ask how they got to the £150 figure.

Advise them what is in their terms and conditions, what we have posted above and advise going by that you should be looking at a refund of around £750.

Come back and let us know what they say.
  • Dr_Crypto
    Dr_Crypto Posts: 1,211 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Similar thing happened with my Father. Bought the lift for £4,500 and only used it once before he died. It was removed within weeks of it being installed.

They are practically worthless secondhand. We we offered about £200 for it so decided to donate it to the hospice that cared for him in his final days. They were very grateful for it and said they had people waiting for them.

It felt like the right thing to do and we put the value against IHT as well.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure