Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • SNRussell
    • By SNRussell 7th Jul 17, 1:54 PM
    • 8Posts
    • 2Thanks
    SNRussell
    ESA awarded without any evidence
    • 7th Jul 17, 1:54 PM
    ESA awarded without any evidence 7th Jul 17 at 1:54 PM
    I applied for ESA only about 3 weeks ago and I've already had a letter come through stating I've been awarded:
    -£57.90 for living expenses
    -£62.45 for being severely disabled
    -£15.90 for disability income guarantee

(I'm a 21 year old student on enhanced daily living of PIP, this is income not contributions based).

And I'm really confused. My initial letter came through about 2 weeks ago asking for a fit note, along with proof of my student loan and savings details, as I've been ill I only managed to get a fit note yesterday (though back dated as I've had the problems from years). Yesterday I was sent the ESA50 form and again, that has yet to be sent off. Does this mean I still have to send off both things? Furthermore, once they receive my evidence is there a chance that they might change the award amount?

Furthermore, I assumed because I'm a student the amount I am eligible for would be much less than what I have been awarded. They were fully aware what I received yet they haven't included it on my award letter so I'm not sure why this is. Is this something I need to get in touch about or can I assume that for some reason they have chosen to discount it?

I have also not been told an award end date or what group I was put into (support or work - I would assume support as I meet about 7 of the criteria). Would it be reasonable to assume that I will be awarded it until otherwise told?

If anyone can help that would be awesome.
Page 1
    • Alice Holt
    • By Alice Holt 7th Jul 17, 2:17 PM
    • 1,193 Posts
    • 1,282 Thanks
    Alice Holt
    • 7th Jul 17, 2:17 PM
    • 7th Jul 17, 2:17 PM
    I think you need to ring them up to clarify (0345 608 8545).

You are usually placed in the assessment period pending a WCA and a decision on your award.
    During this period you do need to provide a fit note to receive ESA payments, and submit the ESA50 form for the WCA .

This explains the usual process:
    https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/sick-or-disabled-people-and-carers/employment-and-support-allowance/help-with-your-esa-claim/claiming-esa-filling-in-the-esa1-form/

Has any ESA money arrived in your bank account?

Income-based ESA will be reduced by the maintenance element of student grants / loans.
    So something may have gone wrong with the DWP processes.

As an aside, if you are liable for rent you may be able to claim Housing Benefit as a disabled student in receipt of PIP.
    This is a useful organisation and helpline for disabled students and benefits:
    https://www.disabilityrightsuk.org/how-we-can-help/helplines/disabled-students-helpline
    Last edited by Alice Holt; 07-07-2017 at 2:53 PM.
    • UKTigerlily
    • By UKTigerlily 7th Jul 17, 2:25 PM
    • 4,263 Posts
    • 5,262 Thanks
    UKTigerlily
    • 7th Jul 17, 2:25 PM
    • 7th Jul 17, 2:25 PM
    Maybe you're on the assessment rates which lasts for 13 weeks, after that you will be placed into one of the two groups, if you're entitled to ESA. I imagine the ESA50 needs to be returned with the fit note & all evidence so they will be able to decide which of the 3 options applies.
    2015 weight loss: 86/100Ibs
    • KxMx
    • By KxMx 7th Jul 17, 2:42 PM
    • 7,029 Posts
    • 9,741 Thanks
    KxMx
    • 7th Jul 17, 2:42 PM
    • 7th Jul 17, 2:42 PM
    Maybe you're on the assessment rates which lasts for 13 weeks, after that you will be placed into one of the two groups, if you're entitled to ESA. I imagine the ESA50 needs to be returned with the fit note & all evidence so they will be able to decide which of the 3 options applies.
    Originally posted by UKTigerlily
    The assessment rate is supposed to last for 13 weeks.

In most cases, it lasts much longer.

Assessment rate will remain payable until a decision is made, WRAG, Support Group or Fit For work.

The latter can only be made after a Face to Face medical.
    • SNRussell
    • By SNRussell 7th Jul 17, 4:10 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    SNRussell
    • 7th Jul 17, 4:10 PM
    • 7th Jul 17, 4:10 PM
    So I got in touch with DWP, thanks for that.

Turns out that they have indeed awarded me those amounts without the need for a fit note as I'm a student on disability. They've said that I still need to complete the ESA50 but only as a formality. I actually received my first payment last week (I assumed it was an error as it was £3.39) and will continue to receive the amount as outlined earlier.

It's taken less than 3 weeks from my telephone application to getting the award which I think is probably a record.
    • Alice Holt
    • By Alice Holt 7th Jul 17, 4:15 PM
    • 1,193 Posts
    • 1,282 Thanks
    Alice Holt
    • 7th Jul 17, 4:15 PM
    • 7th Jul 17, 4:15 PM
    Excellent.

Some info on completing the ESA50:
    https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/sick-or-disabled-people-and-carers/employment-and-support-allowance/help-with-your-esa-claim/fill-in-form/
    • jessex1990
    • By jessex1990 8th Jul 17, 4:54 PM
    • 116 Posts
    • 67 Thanks
    jessex1990
    • 8th Jul 17, 4:54 PM
    • 8th Jul 17, 4:54 PM
    The assessment rate is supposed to last for 13 weeks.

In most cases, it lasts much longer.

Assessment rate will remain payable until a decision is made, WRAG, Support Group or Fit For work.

The latter can only be made after a Face to Face medical.
    Originally posted by KxMx
    I was on assessment rate for about 9 months before getting my medical and they paid the total amount accrued from what group I was supposed to be in with 1 lump sum payment.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,245Posts Today

8,306Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin