Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • dark knight
    • By dark knight 7th Jul 17, 1:12 PM
    • 88Posts
    • 8Thanks
    dark knight
    Recommend me a car.
    • 7th Jul 17, 1:12 PM
    Recommend me a car. 7th Jul 17 at 1:12 PM
    Well it's actually for my sister.

She'd require a new (or nearly new) SUV type, auto gearbox, doesn't do the mileage for diesel. Liked the Sportage but changed her mind after sitting in it. I'm pushing her towards a Mazda cx-3 (cx-5 is better but much pricier). Apart from the usual suspects (Qashqai etc,) anyone got any recommendations. She has chronic knee pain so a reliable auto box is essential.
Page 2
    • goosander
    • By goosander 10th Jul 17, 10:57 AM
    • 94 Posts
    • 45 Thanks
    goosander
    Bit conflicted on this...

Although SUV's and other tall vehicles drive me up the wall when stuck behind them, I must admit I rather like my Yeti... Got it because it is one of the very few cars in which you can put bikes in the back vertically. Its also compact being shorter than the Fabia estate I had previously and much nicer to drive too.

I'm now pretty much resigned to not being able to overtake anything in a car now, but when on the motorbike its a different story - even misery boxes (caravans / camper vans) are no problem
    • Julialt
    • By Julialt 10th Jul 17, 11:02 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Julialt
    For a girl, SUV is not suitable, because the power is relatively large.
    • Mercdriver
    • By Mercdriver 10th Jul 17, 1:09 PM
    • 1,355 Posts
    • 896 Thanks
    Mercdriver
    Originally posted by Julialt
    An amateur troll post. Go back to your Tonka toys.
    • mambo69
    • By mambo69 10th Jul 17, 1:13 PM
    • 427 Posts
    • 116 Thanks
    mambo69
    I had a Suzuki Grand Vitara, never had any issues and whilst it would not win any races it did everything I needed it to.

I think the best thing is to look on Autotrader in the budget, narrow down to 3 or 4 max then go and have a look

Everyone has a different opinion, end of the day your sister is the driver so the only opinion that matters is hers
    • dark knight
    • By dark knight 10th Jul 17, 1:23 PM
    • 88 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    dark knight
    Thanks all.

The most frustrating thing is that she doesn't know what she wants, what just 'looks nice'.

She loves a CX-5 but it's just too pricey, and living in NI it's laregly diesels for this sort of malarkey
    • Herzlos
    • By Herzlos 10th Jul 17, 1:37 PM
    • 5,631 Posts
    • 5,099 Thanks
    Herzlos
    The most frustrating thing is that she doesn't know what she wants, what just 'looks nice'.
    Originally posted by dark knight
    Just take her to a car supermarket and let her pick something. They are all much the same underneath.

She loves a CX-5 but it's just too pricey, and living in NI it's laregly diesels for this sort of malarkey
    What's her budget? You can get used ones (5 years old) from about £8k now. [though only 1 automatic petrol in UK an autotrader at the moment @ £12.5. No idea what the deal is with NI or exporting]
    • Clive Woody
    • By Clive Woody 10th Jul 17, 2:14 PM
    • 4,377 Posts
    • 4,998 Thanks
    Clive Woody
    Originally posted by Julialt

There are some pretty underpowered SUVs on the market, maybe they would be better for a girl
    Rugby Union - The Greatest Game
    • Mercdriver
    • By Mercdriver 11th Jul 17, 1:42 AM
    • 1,355 Posts
    • 896 Thanks
    Mercdriver
    The newer Vitara is highly thought of - not as big as a CX-5 (which is what I'm driving now) not as small as a CX-3. You can get it in a petrol auto. The 1.4 is pretty good with the juice too.
    • dark knight
    • By dark knight 11th Jul 17, 1:21 PM
    • 88 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    dark knight
    Thanks the vitara is definitely an option
    • khcomp
    • By khcomp 11th Jul 17, 1:25 PM
    • 200 Posts
    • 85 Thanks
    khcomp
    Try a Hyundai Tucson with the DCT transmission: Have driven a couple and been really impressed with finish, economy and the gearbox is one of the best.
    Edit: If she's after an SUV because of mobility issues, I'd suggest that she may be better off with a vehicle with a lower floor and more upright seating - like a Suzuki Splash.
    Last edited by khcomp; 11-07-2017 at 1:33 PM.
    • Julialt
    • By Julialt 29th Jul 17, 8:09 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Julialt
    Neuropathy?
    • harz99
    • By harz99 29th Jul 17, 8:29 AM
    • 2,463 Posts
    • 2,409 Thanks
    harz99
    Edit: If she's after an SUV because of mobility issues, I'd suggest that she may be better off with a vehicle with a lower floor and more upright seating - like a Suzuki Splash.
    Originally posted by khcomp

I'd agree there. I have back problems and need to sit upright with hips and knees forming right angles to avoid strain on my lower back, my wheels are a Vauxhall Agila (same car as the Splash) which is the only small car with enough height and room inside to achieve my needs.

Both the Agila and Splash come in "girly" colours if required...and the newest ones will be 2014/2015 64/15 reg. Autotrader currently has a few very low mileage autos at £7.5k to £8k.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,793Posts Today

8,170Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin