Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Al44
    • By Al44 7th Jul 17, 1:09 PM
    • 24Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Al44
    Planning permission/ can I start?
    • 7th Jul 17, 1:09 PM
    Planning permission/ can I start? 7th Jul 17 at 1:09 PM
    So I was granted planning permission to build an extension, however due to complications I have had to resubmit an amendment form which will take around another month to come back.

So just to be clear I do have planning permission granted.

my question is: Can I start laying the foundations before I get the building control application approved? or could I be setting myself up for a penalty if I don't get the building control all cleared first?

I am asking because I really wanted to get the build done within 2 months and hoped to start the actual build at the begining of september as its much harder building in the winter, due to the cold and and shorter days.

can anyone help with some info?
Page 1
    • jbainbridge
    • By jbainbridge 7th Jul 17, 1:19 PM
    • 1,703 Posts
    • 1,095 Thanks
    jbainbridge
    • 7th Jul 17, 1:19 PM
    • 7th Jul 17, 1:19 PM
    I don't know. Perhaps ring the planning dept. and discuss it with them?
    • davidmcn
    • By davidmcn 7th Jul 17, 2:11 PM
    • 5,603 Posts
    • 5,381 Thanks
    davidmcn
    • 7th Jul 17, 2:11 PM
    • 7th Jul 17, 2:11 PM
    You can, but at your own risk. What if they insist on a change to something in your design?

I don't know. Perhaps ring the planning dept. and discuss it with them?
    Originally posted by jbainbridge
    Nothing to do with planning - this is a building control matter.
    • anselld
    • By anselld 7th Jul 17, 2:30 PM
    • 5,253 Posts
    • 4,790 Thanks
    anselld
    • 7th Jul 17, 2:30 PM
    • 7th Jul 17, 2:30 PM
    You could employ a third party Building Control inspector. You don't need to use the Council nor have them pre-approve the drawings.
    • lwhiteman88
    • By lwhiteman88 7th Jul 17, 2:41 PM
    • 75 Posts
    • 57 Thanks
    lwhiteman88
    • 7th Jul 17, 2:41 PM
    • 7th Jul 17, 2:41 PM
    So I was granted planning permission to build an extension, however due to complications I have had to resubmit an amendment form which will take around another month to come back.

So just to be clear I do have planning permission granted.

my question is: Can I start laying the foundations before I get the building control application approved? or could I be setting myself up for a penalty if I don't get the building control all cleared first?

I am asking because I really wanted to get the build done within 2 months and hoped to start the actual build at the begining of september as its much harder building in the winter, due to the cold and and shorter days.

can anyone help with some info?
    Originally posted by Al44
    I assume you have submitted a Full Plans application with structural engineers and/or architects drawings which is what you are waiting to be checked. You are allowed to start the works after 48hrs of submitting the application. You will still need to get your assigned building control inspector to come out at the relevant stages to inspect the works. This will include the groundworks. As long as you get Building Control to come and check the excavation depth before pouring the foundations.

Of course depending on how far you get be prepared that BC may issue conditional approval where items may have been missed on the drawings but are required. The Full Plans check normally takes 3-4 weeks so not as long as the planning process.
    • ProDave
    • By ProDave 7th Jul 17, 3:49 PM
    • 199 Posts
    • 260 Thanks
    ProDave
    • 7th Jul 17, 3:49 PM
    • 7th Jul 17, 3:49 PM
    Planning and building control are two separate things, so NO you cannot start the foundations until building control have said so, otherwise they are within their rights to ask for it to be dug up again so they can inspect it.

Planning, and can you start. It depends on what your planning permission says, there may be pre commencement conditions to satisfy first. What is this amendment, a change to the building that has been approved? if so you have permission for the original design, but not the ammended design. If submitting the amendment was a condition of the PP then no you can't start until that has been agreed.
    • Al44
    • By Al44 7th Jul 17, 4:09 PM
    • 24 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Al44
    • 7th Jul 17, 4:09 PM
    • 7th Jul 17, 4:09 PM
    Thanks guys
    • G_M
    • By G_M 7th Jul 17, 4:55 PM
    • 40,534 Posts
    • 46,371 Thanks
    G_M
    • 7th Jul 17, 4:55 PM
    • 7th Jul 17, 4:55 PM
    If you dig the foundations before BC are involved, how will BC know you have dug them deep enough, with the right concrete etc?

But as suggested you could employ a private surveyor who is authorised by BC to sign off Building Regs.
    • Pixie5740
    • By Pixie5740 7th Jul 17, 5:12 PM
    • 10,766 Posts
    • 14,871 Thanks
    Pixie5740
    • 7th Jul 17, 5:12 PM
    • 7th Jul 17, 5:12 PM
    Is this extension to your hooky HMO?
    Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen pounds nineteen and six, result happiness. Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds nought and six, result misery.
    • lwhiteman88
    • By lwhiteman88 7th Jul 17, 5:14 PM
    • 75 Posts
    • 57 Thanks
    lwhiteman88
    If you dig the foundations before BC are involved, how will BC know you have dug them deep enough, with the right concrete etc?

But as suggested you could employ a private surveyor who is authorised by BC to sign off Building Regs.
    Originally posted by G_M

Once the excavations have been dug the builders just need to call building control to come round. You do not need to wait for the Full Plans Approval to do this. You can do this 48Hrs after submitting the application. I would stick with the Local Authority as they are just as responsive for inspections.
    • Freecall
    • By Freecall 7th Jul 17, 6:16 PM
    • 1,047 Posts
    • 948 Thanks
    Freecall
    There seems to be a lot of misunderstandings in this thread.

Planning

If you have consent for something then that is what you can build. If there is an amendment being considered then you do not have permission for that until (or 'if') it is approved.

NB: We don't know what the amendment is of course. The foundations etc may be the same with the only changes being at the higher levels and therefore there could be several weeks of work which complies with both the granted permission and the proposed amendment.

Building Control

There is no need to wait for plans to be approved. By law you must give 48 hours notice of your intention to start work. As you have submitted a Full Plans Application (and paid the fee) you can do this over the phone. This is essentially the same as if you were carrying out the work under a Building Notice.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

529Posts Today

5,145Users online

Martin's Twitter