Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • zippychick
    • By zippychick 7th Jul 17, 12:57 PM
    • 9,348Posts
    • 17,789Thanks
    zippychick
    Chocolate fudge cake - mmmm
    • 7th Jul 17, 12:57 PM
    Chocolate fudge cake - mmmm 7th Jul 17 at 12:57 PM
    Hi all

i really had to share this recipe I made last week for my brothers birthday. I made a double batch, and resulted in a sandwich cake, and a large "chunk" cake (because that's the only other tin i could find)

I have to say, it is absolutely delicious. The method for me was unusual (cocoa powder paste to start), but i just then bunged everything in and mixed with an electric whisk. It just felt so easy.

The apricot Jam is worth a purchase. I wasn't so sure, but when i tasted it, i can see how it brings the cake to a new level. The perfect accoutrement.

The chocolate fudge sauce keeps well in the fridge. To use simply stir with a spoon to "warm up" until spreadable. Handy because i would now make the sauce in advance.

I shared the chunk cake with neighbours family and friends, and 'im still getting compliments. Top it off with a dollop of whipped cream and mmmmm I could only eat a small piece (pigeon appetite) but my husband (non chocolate cake fan) ate loads of it and didnt find it sicky.

Anyway, just wanted to share because it was so tasty and really impressive for special occasions. Definitely not the cheapest cake in the book, but worth it for the results for an indulgent occasion. I don't know that i would be able to buy a better tasting cake ! I used cadburys chocolate because I'm an uncivilised swine

Zip
    Last edited by zippychick; 07-07-2017 at 12:59 PM.
    I'm a Board Guide of Old Style MoneySaving, The Northern Ireland board,How Much Have you Saved? and Martin's Blogs.
    This means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. However, do remember that Board Guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    New to the Forum? Why not watch the Guide?
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men
    Norn Iron club member #380

Page 1
    • Islandmaid
    • By Islandmaid 7th Jul 17, 1:09 PM
    • 2,363 Posts
    • 33,671 Thanks
    Islandmaid
    • 7th Jul 17, 1:09 PM
    • 7th Jul 17, 1:09 PM
    Zip sounds lush . Especially as it's World Chocolate Day today

Have saved to my 'To make' list - I have to be brave if I make it as doing Low Carb at the mo
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!

NO-VEMBER GC £200/£164.83 that’s includes everything for breakfast, lunch, dinner for myself, DH, DS and sometime’s DD and 4 greedy cats
    • zippychick
    • By zippychick 7th Jul 17, 2:23 PM
    • 9,348 Posts
    • 17,789 Thanks
    zippychick
    • 7th Jul 17, 2:23 PM
    • 7th Jul 17, 2:23 PM
    ISIT???? i did not know this!!! Definitely try it out ♥ xx

What i did was plan out who the extra cake was going to so i kept a reasonable chunk for me and husband, then divvied it all out so it was basically gone lol x
    I'm a Board Guide of Old Style MoneySaving, The Northern Ireland board,How Much Have you Saved? and Martin's Blogs.
    This means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. However, do remember that Board Guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

• JackieO
    • By JackieO 7th Jul 17, 2:29 PM
    • 15,497 Posts
    • 126,334 Thanks
    JackieO
    • 7th Jul 17, 2:29 PM
    • 7th Jul 17, 2:29 PM
    Will it freeze do you think as if I make cake I always try to freeze some or I would be the size of a house

JackieO xx
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus.
    • FairyPrincessk
    • By FairyPrincessk 7th Jul 17, 2:59 PM
    • 2,200 Posts
    • 22,644 Thanks
    FairyPrincessk
    • 7th Jul 17, 2:59 PM
    • 7th Jul 17, 2:59 PM
    Too bad I'm making a pie today because I fancy this! It looks delicious!
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 7th Jul 17, 3:50 PM
    • 60,688 Posts
    • 354,776 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    • 7th Jul 17, 3:50 PM
    • 7th Jul 17, 3:50 PM
    That's more cake than I would eat in an entire year, so I'd never make it.
    • zippychick
    • By zippychick 7th Jul 17, 6:34 PM
    • 9,348 Posts
    • 17,789 Thanks
    zippychick
    • 7th Jul 17, 6:34 PM
    • 7th Jul 17, 6:34 PM
    Will it freeze do you think as if I make cake I always try to freeze some or I would be the size of a house

JackieO xx
    Originally posted by JackieO
    The ganache is half cream half chocolate so that wouldnt freeze. The cake certainly would so i would freeze the cake uniced/dressed. I'm odd that I prefer not to dress cakes until they are ready to go.

I also would leave the Jam out and add with the sauce. I put the jam on the warm sponge (instead of warming it in a pot - why would you do that??) but you could just warm the jam as per recipe as the cake will be cold.

So i would freeze half, and dress half. Just make half the sauce xx

• zippychick
    • By zippychick 7th Jul 17, 6:36 PM
    • 9,348 Posts
    • 17,789 Thanks
    zippychick
    • 7th Jul 17, 6:36 PM
    • 7th Jul 17, 6:36 PM
    That's more cake than I would eat in an entire year, so I'd never make it.
    Originally posted by PasturesNew
    one was for my brothers birthday and he specifically requested chocolate fudge cake. The rest was split into friend (4 peoples worth), my neighbour (2 portions), my neighbours mum (1 portion) and enough for a tiny slice for me, and two generous ones for the husband. I don't indulge in cake unless it's good so it was a lovely treat.
    Last edited by zippychick; 07-07-2017 at 6:39 PM.

• zippychick
    • By zippychick 7th Jul 17, 6:38 PM
    • 9,348 Posts
    • 17,789 Thanks
    zippychick
    • 7th Jul 17, 6:38 PM
    • 7th Jul 17, 6:38 PM
    Fairyprincessk or anyone, would love a report back when you do make it!!! I've tried out a few for people as gifts over the years and this one's a keeper x

• Chris25
    • By Chris25 7th Jul 17, 6:49 PM
    • 12,708 Posts
    • 12,438 Thanks
    Chris25
    thanks zippy, it's really nice to read people's comments - good or bad - and tips when they've followed a published recipe.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

190Posts Today

1,516Users online

Martin's Twitter