Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • anonsloth
    • By anonsloth 7th Jul 17, 12:43 PM
    • 4Posts
    • 0Thanks
    anonsloth
    Athena Parking Charge Notice 2017 (NOT LIDL)
    • 7th Jul 17, 12:43 PM
    Athena Parking Charge Notice 2017 (NOT LIDL) 7th Jul 17 at 12:43 PM
    A parking charge notice was recently received by Athena parking. From what I understand this firm mainly deals with LIDL car parks but the car park in question was a retail park of several smaller businesses (majestic wine, pets corner etc) offering free parking for an hour. the proposed charge states that the vehicle overstayed by 12 minutes. I understand that in most LIDL cases customers contact customer service and often get the charge cancelled but that is not an option for me.

Athena are now and IPC firm so I used the newbies ipc template to appeal by email however none of the questions were addressed such as "Who is the party that contracted with your company and are they the landowner?" and a generic rejection letter was sent stating that they will take enforcement action if not paid.

The letter finishes saying that one can appeal using the independent appeals service (IAS) however it seems this is almost always a bad idea? So assistance is needed in planning the next course of action. The sign said 10 minutes of leeway but I can't remember how it was phrased. In which case the proposed overstay is only 2 minutes and in a free car park that surely is resulting in no loss to the landowner, certainly not 90 pounds! The driver was shopping in pets corner however upon contact they state that they are not responsible for management of the carpark. Its not clear who owns the land.

Athena have seemingly never prosecuted anyone however the notion of debt collection / court letters is scary. Is this a case of ignore at this point or is there something that can be done?
Page 1
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 7th Jul 17, 1:11 PM
    • 3,034 Posts
    • 3,082 Thanks
    DoaM
    • 7th Jul 17, 1:11 PM
    • 7th Jul 17, 1:11 PM
    You seem to have answered your own questions.

An IAS appeal is generally pointless, and debt collector letters can be ignored.

So nothing more to do than wait and see if you get a LBC or court claim ... except of course to complain to the landowner to get the PCN cancelled.
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
    • Fruitcake
    • By Fruitcake 7th Jul 17, 1:13 PM
    • 40,200 Posts
    • 80,291 Thanks
    Fruitcake
    • 7th Jul 17, 1:13 PM
    • 7th Jul 17, 1:13 PM
    Take your own pictures of signs if you can, just in case they try court.

There is nothing else you can do now except ignore any bog paper you get from debt crawlers. The only thing you musn't ignore is a LBC/LBCC/LBCCC/MCOL.

Don't bother with an IAS appeal.

Complain to the landowner if you can find out who it is, and all the retailers on site. If you bought something you were a genuine customer, and if you didn't how is anyone to know you aren't a potential customer, or weren't window shopping? Tell them you won't be shopping there again if this isn't cancelled.
    Leave negative feedback on social media and warn all your friends and family about this scam site.

Complain to your MP, Mrs May, and Andrew Jones MP that the scammers are not following the IPC CoP concerning grace periods.
    I married my cousin. I had to...
    I don't have a sister.

All my screwdrivers are cordless.
    "You're Safety Is My Primary Concern Dear" - Laks
    • Umkomaas
    • By Umkomaas 7th Jul 17, 1:35 PM
    • 14,041 Posts
    • 22,060 Thanks
    Umkomaas
    • 7th Jul 17, 1:35 PM
    • 7th Jul 17, 1:35 PM
    Athena have seemingly never prosecuted anyone however the notion of debt collection / court letters is scary. Is this a case of ignore at this point or is there something that can be done?
    Often there's no 'next step', so don't seek one out, it's fruitless. The only way to kill this off is by paying them their blood money (we wouldn't even contemplate that) or a landowner cancellation.

Why do you feel a landowner cancellation is out of reach?

Trust us, there should be nothing 'scary' about debt collector letters, unless large red font has you trembling at the knees. They can't send the boys round, they can't issue court proceedings. Their letters are no different to scam emails offering you a chunk of £50million in exchange for your bank details, or telephone calls from 'Peter at Vindows Support'. Just laugh at them!

Neither should 'court proceedings' be scary. It's not the criminal court, just the small claims court - which is more like a tribunal than The Old Bailey. And do you honestly think that yours will be Athena's very first ever court claim when, from what will be pushing half a million tickets issued by the end of this year, they have never once launched a small claims court case.

http://www.bmpa.eu/companydata/Athena_ANPR.html
    We cannot provide you with a silver bullet to get you out of this. You have to be in for the long run, and need to involve yourself in research and work for you to get rid of this. It is not simple. We will help, but can't do it for you.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.
    • Guys Dad
    • By Guys Dad 7th Jul 17, 4:25 PM
    • 10,061 Posts
    • 9,147 Thanks
    Guys Dad
    • 7th Jul 17, 4:25 PM
    • 7th Jul 17, 4:25 PM
    ANPR?

If so, I would appeal to IPC quoting them from their own Code of Practice. It seems to me that even if the notice gives you 10 minutes overstay, you are entitled to a further pre-parking time to read the t&c.

15. Grace Periods
    15.1 Drivers should be allowed a sufficient amount of time to park and read any signs so they may make an informed decision as to whether or not to remain on the site.
    Drivers should be allowed a sufficient amount of time to leave a site after a pre-paid or permitted period of parking has expired

• anonsloth
    • By anonsloth 7th Jul 17, 8:15 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    anonsloth
    • 7th Jul 17, 8:15 PM
    • 7th Jul 17, 8:15 PM
    You seem to have answered your own questions.

An IAS appeal is generally pointless, and debt collector letters can be ignored.

So nothing more to do than wait and see if you get a LBC or court claim ... except of course to complain to the landowner to get the PCN cancelled.
    Originally posted by DoaM
    Thanks, any advice on finding out who the land owner is?
    • anonsloth
    • By anonsloth 7th Jul 17, 8:16 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    anonsloth
    • 7th Jul 17, 8:16 PM
    • 7th Jul 17, 8:16 PM
    Thanks very much, any advice on finding out who the landowner is?
    • anonsloth
    • By anonsloth 7th Jul 17, 8:18 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    anonsloth
    • 7th Jul 17, 8:18 PM
    • 7th Jul 17, 8:18 PM
    ANPR?

If so, I would appeal to IPC quoting them from their own Code of Practice. It seems to me that even if the notice gives you 10 minutes overstay, you are entitled to a further pre-parking time to read the t&c.

15. Grace Periods
    15.1 Drivers should be allowed a sufficient amount of time to park and read any signs so they may make an informed decision as to whether or not to remain on the site.
    Drivers should be allowed a sufficient amount of time to leave a site after a pre-paid or permitted period of parking has expired

Originally posted by Guys Dad
    This is very useful information, thanks very much!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

99Posts Today

1,650Users online

Martin's Twitter