Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • RickyB2000
    • By RickyB2000 7th Jul 17, 12:21 PM
    • 301Posts
    • 173Thanks
    RickyB2000
    Do I need party wall
    • 7th Jul 17, 12:21 PM
    Do I need party wall 7th Jul 17 at 12:21 PM
    So I am planning an extension to a detached house. The extension will come to with around 20cm of the fence that sits between mine and my neighbors property at its furthest point (the fence/boundary slopes away from the proposed wall as it comes back towards the original house). The neighbors house is within the 3m distance for excavations (still need to get engineer/BC to confirm depth) - though is a 1980s build so maybe similar depth to modern foundations? I am going to go round and see if they know how deep their foundations are, but based on similar depth I don't think I need to serve party wall notice. At least unless the engineer comes back with some crazy deep foundations (or the neighbors turn out to have some shallow foundations). Or is 20cm close enough for party wall to apply?

Additionally, should I be looking to get a condition survey of the neighbors house done even if there is no party wall needed - to protect against future disputes?
Page 1
    • Doozergirl
    • By Doozergirl 7th Jul 17, 12:28 PM
    • 23,738 Posts
    • 66,067 Thanks
    Doozergirl
    • 7th Jul 17, 12:28 PM
    • 7th Jul 17, 12:28 PM
    I'm going through similar. Sent the other half to the local council to dig out the building regs file on the neighbour's extension!

If they are the same then you don't need to serve notice.

I presume you already know your position on planning permission. Is it a side extension?
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
    • teneighty
    • By teneighty 7th Jul 17, 12:30 PM
    • 986 Posts
    • 683 Thanks
    teneighty
    • 7th Jul 17, 12:30 PM
    • 7th Jul 17, 12:30 PM
    No. simple.
    • RickyB2000
    • By RickyB2000 7th Jul 17, 1:13 PM
    • 301 Posts
    • 173 Thanks
    RickyB2000
    • 7th Jul 17, 1:13 PM
    • 7th Jul 17, 1:13 PM
    No, rear extension. Planning already approved (in fact they forced us closer to the boundary). The boundary just slopes inwards as you move away from the back wall of our house (but the extension stops before it would hit it). House are in a line, it is just the gardens that go a bit skew. I will see if they know. If not, how safe is it to make an assumption or do I need to start digging round their house (maybe in the dead of night ).

Anyway, thanks - that was what I was expecting - no
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,916Posts Today

8,643Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin