Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • marc_tweets
    • By marc_tweets 7th Jul 17, 10:59 AM
    • 5Posts
    • 1Thanks
    marc_tweets
    0 WOW
    Currency card for hotel
    • 7th Jul 17, 10:59 AM
    0 WOW
    Currency card for hotel 7th Jul 17 at 10:59 AM
    Hi

I've booked to stay in New York next month, I am to pay on arrival. The email I received said check in is much faster when paying by card.

I was planning on getting a currency card to put the money on before to pay. Which one am I best using. I've been looking at the ones from the supermarkets as I've picked up leaflets when I've been changing cash over?

Also will the currency cards work ok in the hotel paying a large sum of money?

Thanks for any help
Page 1
    • eDicky
    • By eDicky 7th Jul 17, 1:06 PM
    • 2,780 Posts
    • 1,208 Thanks
    eDicky
    • 7th Jul 17, 1:06 PM
    • 7th Jul 17, 1:06 PM
    Avoid any cards from supermarkets or travel agents. Use fee-free card that holds your money in pounds until you use it

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/credit-cards/prepaid-travel-cards

You may need to produce a credit card at check-in for them to hold a pre-auth.

Prepaid cards publish their fees and limits; for purchases such as a hotel bill limits are probably a few thousand, as long as you load enough of course.
    • marc_tweets
    • By marc_tweets 7th Jul 17, 2:07 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    marc_tweets
    • 7th Jul 17, 2:07 PM
    • 7th Jul 17, 2:07 PM
    Thanks for the help, the only thing I was worried about with them is that what if the exchange rate gets worse between now and then could it not end up costing more?

I've just took your advice though and signed up for one of those Monzp cards anyway. There seems to be quite a few people ahead of me on the waiting list. Does anyone on here know how long people are currently waiting for?
    • eDicky
    • By eDicky 7th Jul 17, 2:34 PM
    • 2,780 Posts
    • 1,208 Thanks
    eDicky
    • 7th Jul 17, 2:34 PM
    • 7th Jul 17, 2:34 PM
    The exchange rate is just as likely to get better between now and then, so costing you less.

Did you sign up via the link in the MSE article? Previously this enabled you to avoid the queue, but it's no longer clearly stated except for "You'll receive the card within one to two working days if you go via our link above" - this may have been overlooked for deletion.
    • WAYT
    • By WAYT 7th Jul 17, 3:13 PM
    • 660 Posts
    • 284 Thanks
    WAYT
    • 7th Jul 17, 3:13 PM
    • 7th Jul 17, 3:13 PM
    Thanks for the help, the only thing I was worried about with them is that what if the exchange rate gets worse between now and then could it not end up costing more?

I've just took your advice though and signed up for one of those Monzp cards anyway. There seems to be quite a few people ahead of me on the waiting list. Does anyone on here know how long people are currently waiting for?
    Originally posted by marc_tweets
    If you are worried about the rate changing, sign up for a Revolut account and use the App to buy US$ during a weekday when you think the rate is optimal. When you are due to go on holiday, if the US$ is stronger swap back to the Pound and transfer it back to your bank.
    • marc_tweets
    • By marc_tweets 7th Jul 17, 4:59 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    marc_tweets
    • 7th Jul 17, 4:59 PM
    • 7th Jul 17, 4:59 PM
    Thanks. I originally did it straight from the app but now I've done the link I'm all signed up
    • marc_tweets
    • By marc_tweets 7th Jul 17, 5:45 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    marc_tweets
    • 7th Jul 17, 5:45 PM
    • 7th Jul 17, 5:45 PM
    One problem I have found when reading more details about the monzo card is tht there is a maximum single card payment of £1000 but I would need more to pay for the hotel.

Would a revolut be better for the hotel and monzo for day to day spending?
    • eDicky
    • By eDicky 7th Jul 17, 6:09 PM
    • 2,780 Posts
    • 1,208 Thanks
    eDicky
    • 7th Jul 17, 6:09 PM
    • 7th Jul 17, 6:09 PM
    One problem I have found when reading more details about the monzo card is tht there is a maximum single card payment of £1000 but I would need more to pay for the hotel.

Would a revolut be better for the hotel and monzo for day to day spending?
    Originally posted by marc_tweets
    You could use Monzo in two or more separate payments, or use use Revolut (weekdays) if you don't mind paying £5 for the card, or Starling Bank is also excellent, mobile only with zero overseas fees. It's wise to carry more than one suitable overseas card anyway.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,726Posts Today

7,854Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin