Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • d0nkeyk0ng
    • By d0nkeyk0ng 7th Jul 17, 10:33 AM
    • 423Posts
    • 153Thanks
    d0nkeyk0ng
    Protecting tomato plant
    • 7th Jul 17, 10:33 AM
    Protecting tomato plant 7th Jul 17 at 10:33 AM
    Our tomato plant has been growing steadily in this:
    http://www.homebase.co.uk/en/homebaseuk/2-tier-grow-rack-579772

It's been put into a plant pot without a base and then into a growbag.

But it's now reached the top. We have no greenhouse (nor space for one). We could plant in a vegetable bed but I'm worried about pests and birds etc.

What could we do to protect the plant?
Page 1
    • Grenage
    • By Grenage 7th Jul 17, 10:57 AM
    • 1,154 Posts
    • 1,078 Thanks
    Grenage
    • 7th Jul 17, 10:57 AM
    I dig a trench and fill it with compost, then plant directly into the border; No problems so far.
    • TonyMMM
    • By TonyMMM 7th Jul 17, 10:57 AM
    • 2,413 Posts
    • 2,587 Thanks
    TonyMMM
    Remove the cover and let it grow where it is ? Use a strong cane to tie it to and cut off the growing tip once you have 5 or 6 trusses of flowers and then let them ripen.

Assuming it is a cordon variety make sure you pinch out side shoots as they grow.

I wouldn't move a plant at that size - but if you have to then dig a large hole, plant it almost up to the first leaves (new feeding roots will then form from the stem)....water and feed it very well.

Birds/pests won't affect tomatoes to any great extent - blight is the problem for any grown outdoors (and little you can do about that).
    Last edited by TonyMMM; 07-07-2017 at 10:59 AM.
    • tiz
    • By tiz 7th Jul 17, 11:01 AM
    • 58 Posts
    • 70 Thanks
    tiz
    • 7th Jul 17, 11:01 AM
    • 7th Jul 17, 11:01 AM
    Generally the slugs/snails seem to ignore them and I've not had an issue with birds. It should be fine outside in the border. It might not be too keen on being moved if it's that big though.

For this year I'd either just take the cover off the mini greenhouse or pinch the top out and it will stop growing upwards and focus on setting fruit. Now the weather is at its warmest it will be fine without the cover.
    • d0nkeyk0ng
    • By d0nkeyk0ng 7th Jul 17, 11:05 AM
    • 423 Posts
    • 153 Thanks
    d0nkeyk0ng
    • 7th Jul 17, 11:05 AM
    • 7th Jul 17, 11:05 AM
    Thanks all. First tomato plant (or any veg) grown so still worried about it. It's already in a growbag so happy to just dig a trench, move the growbag + plant into trench, remove plastic wrapping and add extra compost on top.

No flowers yet.
    • Chris25
    • By Chris25 7th Jul 17, 4:42 PM
    • 12,326 Posts
    • 11,762 Thanks
    Chris25
    • 7th Jul 17, 4:42 PM
    • 7th Jul 17, 4:42 PM
    Generally the slugs/snails seem to ignore them and I've not had an issue with birds. It should be fine outside in the border. It might not be too keen on being moved if it's that big though.

r.
    Originally posted by tiz
    I went out yesterday morning to discover that 2 of my tomato plants have completely disappeared, as if they were never there. I haven't checked if there are any roots left but every single bit of leaf & stem has gone.

I can't find a slug trail, they're in the back garden inaccessible (sp?) without going through the house, so nobody has dug them up, I did have some trouble last year with, I think, squirrels but I find any evidence of bits lying around the garden - weird!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

950Posts Today

7,215Users online

Martin's Twitter