Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • paulfoel
    • By paulfoel 7th Jul 17, 10:31 AM
    • 5,305Posts
    • 2,514Thanks
    paulfoel
    Getting "shorted" when someone owes you money!
    • 7th Jul 17, 10:31 AM
    Getting "shorted" when someone owes you money! 7th Jul 17 at 10:31 AM
    Recently paid for something with friend. At the time we agreed I'd pay on credit card and then we'd sort out bank transfer when credit card bill came. Talking about few hundred quid here. Total was something like £716.

So out of the blue friend turns up with £350 cash in an envelope. Says sorry I'll have to owe you the £8.

PITA getting cash because I've got to physically pay it into the bank now and surely if you owed someone you'd round it up and they'd owe you (especially if its £8!) i.e £ Heres £360.

Of course, if they'd done a bank transfer you can't do this. Which makes me think!

I know its only £8 but I found this a bit rude. I knew at the time I'd never get that £8 and they've never mentioned it again. Bit annoyed.
    Cymru am Byth !!!
Page 1
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 7th Jul 17, 10:53 AM
    • 3,032 Posts
    • 3,082 Thanks
    DoaM
    • 7th Jul 17, 10:53 AM
    • 7th Jul 17, 10:53 AM
    Surely everyone knows you never lend money to a friend? But if you do, you do it on the basis that anything can happen and not to expect the exact (or even any) amount back?
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
    • AylesburyDuck
    • By AylesburyDuck 7th Jul 17, 11:32 AM
    • 656 Posts
    • 1,488 Thanks
    AylesburyDuck
    • 7th Jul 17, 11:32 AM
    • 7th Jul 17, 11:32 AM
    Recently paid for something with friend. At the time we agreed I'd pay on credit card and then we'd sort out bank transfer when credit card bill came. Talking about few hundred quid here. Total was something like £716.

So out of the blue friend turns up with £350 cash in an envelope. Says sorry I'll have to owe you the £8.

PITA getting cash because I've got to physically pay it into the bank now and surely if you owed someone you'd round it up and they'd owe you (especially if its £8!) i.e £ Heres £360.

Of course, if they'd done a bank transfer you can't do this. Which makes me think!

I know its only £8 but I found this a bit rude. I knew at the time I'd never get that £8 and they've never mentioned it again. Bit annoyed.
    Originally posted by paulfoel
    Would getting cash bother me, hell no, use it to pay for petrol, shopping, whatever, and then the money is still in the bank when you need it.
    As for £8 quid, if it bothers you that much get said friend to stand you a few coffees and jobs a goodun.
    Friend paid you back quite promptly (you said recently paid for) so frankly you've have a good outcome, find it very strange you should moan about it.
    Fully paid up member of the ignore button club.
    If it walks like a Duck, quacks like a Duck, it's a Duck.
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 7th Jul 17, 11:37 AM
    • 3,032 Posts
    • 3,082 Thanks
    DoaM
    • 7th Jul 17, 11:37 AM
    • 7th Jul 17, 11:37 AM
    find it very strange you should moan about it.
    Originally posted by AylesburyDuck
    If you check some of OP's other threads, your opinion may change.
    Diary of a madman
    Entries of confusion
    • JReacher1
    • By JReacher1 7th Jul 17, 11:48 AM
    • 2,547 Posts
    • 3,509 Thanks
    JReacher1
    • 7th Jul 17, 11:48 AM
    • 7th Jul 17, 11:48 AM
    I agree about the cash. It is very annoying when you pay with a debit card but someone then gives you a large wad of cash! Often means a trip to the bank which is a pain
    • coffeehound
    • By coffeehound 7th Jul 17, 12:08 PM
    • 1,157 Posts
    • 1,934 Thanks
    coffeehound
    • 7th Jul 17, 12:08 PM
    • 7th Jul 17, 12:08 PM
    I tend to keep a float of cash at home in case of emergencies like perhaps the debit card stopping working. Doesn't everyone keep some folding on-hand at home?

But yes friends who take financial advantage of a situation like that probably aren't true friends.
    • Blackbeard of Perranporth
    • By Blackbeard of Perranporth 7th Jul 17, 12:19 PM
    • 4,454 Posts
    • 26,872 Thanks
    Blackbeard of Perranporth
    • 7th Jul 17, 12:19 PM
    • 7th Jul 17, 12:19 PM
    Its eight quid! I normally pass that inn my water Saturday morning after a night on the lash!
    I sold my only sock
    For a handshake and twenty menthol cigarettes
    • paulfoel
    • By paulfoel 7th Jul 17, 12:25 PM
    • 5,305 Posts
    • 2,514 Thanks
    paulfoel
    • 7th Jul 17, 12:25 PM
    • 7th Jul 17, 12:25 PM
    If you check some of OP's other threads, your opinion may change.
    Originally posted by DoaM
    Ho hum :-)
    Cymru am Byth !!!
    • paddyrg
    • By paddyrg 7th Jul 17, 2:10 PM
    • 13,013 Posts
    • 11,082 Thanks
    paddyrg
    • 7th Jul 17, 2:10 PM
    • 7th Jul 17, 2:10 PM
    An irritation, but TBH you're lucky to get back 98% of the cash. No good deed goes unpunished, and you were only stiffed for the cost of a couple of pints - that's a HUGE result lending money to a friend.
    • missile
    • By missile 7th Jul 17, 2:24 PM
    • 8,768 Posts
    • 4,232 Thanks
    missile
    ... and they've never mentioned it again. Bit annoyed.
    Originally posted by paulfoel
    Why don't you????????
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 7th Jul 17, 2:44 PM
    • 3,032 Posts
    • 3,082 Thanks
    DoaM
    Why don't you????????
    Originally posted by missile
    I remember that TV show as a kid too.
    Diary of a madman
    Entries of confusion
    • McKneff
    • By McKneff 7th Jul 17, 2:55 PM
    • 35,467 Posts
    • 45,654 Thanks
    McKneff
    My opinion is that it's not the money, its being taken for amug by a so called 'friend'

Go out with them, leave your wallet at home, get them yo pay, knock ogg your £8 when you pAy them back.
    Job done
    No one can make you feel inferior without your consent
    • warehouse
    • By warehouse 7th Jul 17, 2:59 PM
    • 2,942 Posts
    • 5,500 Thanks
    warehouse
    You live and you learn. Friends that have ever "shorted" me never get loans off me ever again.
    Pants
    • Geoff1963
    • By Geoff1963 7th Jul 17, 3:10 PM
    • 1,000 Posts
    • 620 Thanks
    Geoff1963
    Recently paid for something with an ex-friend.
    Open a Tesco bank account. Many of their large stores accept deposits up to £500 / day ; not from doors open to doors close, but well outside normal banking hours.
    Last edited by Geoff1963; 07-07-2017 at 3:12 PM. Reason: Typo
    • NBLondon
    • By NBLondon 7th Jul 17, 4:36 PM
    • 1,354 Posts
    • 6,977 Thanks
    NBLondon
    Well - it depends how well you know your friends... In this case - the friend paid £350 quickly and agreed that another £8 was still owing. How did you know ,Paul, that you were never going to see the £8? If you think he's that dodgy - why were you going halves with him on a £700+ purchase?

Recently, I bought something on eBay for a friend (who didn't have an account) and said we'll sort it out when we got the item. The day I handed over the package - he had the cash put aside - to the pound. The credit card bill hadn't yet come in (and it's a cashback one so I'm technically up a couple of quid on the deal.)
    This Be the Verse - Philip Larkin. The first line that everyone knows.
    • pollypenny
    • By pollypenny 7th Jul 17, 6:36 PM
    • 22,062 Posts
    • 56,515 Thanks
    pollypenny
    I agree, it's a bit off not to round it up. You could have given him £2 change, anyway.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
    • coffeehound
    • By coffeehound 8th Jul 17, 8:46 AM
    • 1,157 Posts
    • 1,934 Thanks
    coffeehound
    .. you were only stiffed for the cost of a couple of pints
    Originally posted by paddyrg
    £8 is very nearly four pints up here!

Its eight quid! I normally pass that inn my water Saturday morning after a night on the lash!
    Originally posted by Blackbeard of Perranporth
    Bung us eight quid then, you won't miss it
    • hollydays
    • By hollydays 8th Jul 17, 9:45 AM
    • 15,249 Posts
    • 11,020 Thanks
    hollydays
    Why not ask him for it.
    • photome
    • By photome 8th Jul 17, 9:59 AM
    • 12,599 Posts
    • 8,078 Thanks
    photome
    I agree about the cash. It is very annoying when you pay with a debit card but someone then gives you a large wad of cash! Often means a trip to the bank which is a pain
    Originally posted by JReacher1
    Has happened to me and while it may be a little frustratng, I wouldnt say very annoying.

I have just kept the cash and used as spending money...you know, like the old days and no trip to the bank
    • Geoff1963
    • By Geoff1963 8th Jul 17, 2:40 PM
    • 1,000 Posts
    • 620 Thanks
    Geoff1963
    I have just kept the cash and used as spending money...you know, like the old days and no trip to the bank
    For some people, cash is better than money in a bank ; but for others, the reverse is true. The payer should have chosen whatever method the OP would have preferred.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,159Posts Today

8,574Users online

Martin's Twitter