Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • YorkshireJon
    • By YorkshireJon 7th Jul 17, 8:37 AM
    • 25Posts
    • 30Thanks
    YorkshireJon
    The Claims Guys - FREE PPI CHECK
    • 7th Jul 17, 8:37 AM
    The Claims Guys - FREE PPI CHECK 7th Jul 17 at 8:37 AM
    Hi there

We used the claims guys free PPI check and they've come back and said we had some at Barclays and then asked me to sign some more forms and and fill our details about the PPI that got taken out.

As you can see on point 2 here it says once they find out if you have PPI you can go it alone http://www.theclaimsguys.co.uk/ppi/

The latest form says if I return it filled in plus the questions filled in I am giving them authorisation to proceed

I haven't done that and I now want to take the information they have got for me from the free PPI check and do the claim myself but an I OK doing that or am I tied to TCC after the free PPI check?
Page 1
    • societys child
    • By societys child 7th Jul 17, 10:16 AM
    • 4,319 Posts
    • 4,537 Thanks
    societys child
    • 7th Jul 17, 10:16 AM
    • 7th Jul 17, 10:16 AM
    It's always free to do it yourself, no need to involve CMCs.

Whether your tied to TCC, I don't know, depends what you agreed with them.

• YorkshireJon
    • By YorkshireJon 7th Jul 17, 10:27 AM
    • 25 Posts
    • 30 Thanks
    YorkshireJon
    • 7th Jul 17, 10:27 AM
    • 7th Jul 17, 10:27 AM
    It was literally their initial forms that we signed that gave them the authority to find out if we had PPI or not so it was details like DOB / Addresses / Name of Lender etc

It wasn't like the forms we've got now from them saying they've found PPI and can we tell them a load of other information and sign this same form again giving them authorisation to apply for it on our behalf.

I would guess they can't go any further without us telling them the details they are after anyway.
    • YorkshireJon
    • By YorkshireJon 7th Jul 17, 10:44 AM
    • 25 Posts
    • 30 Thanks
    YorkshireJon
    • 7th Jul 17, 10:44 AM
    • 7th Jul 17, 10:44 AM
    Their website even says numerous times

When we tell you that we have located your PPI(s), we will send you further paperwork to complete to start the claims process. Once you return the paperwork, or confirm over the telephone that you wish us to proceed with your Claim(s), we will commence the claims process.
    If the Claim is successful, our Fee of 30% plus VAT will be payable as per the Terms of Engagement or, alternatively, you can complete the Claim(s) yourself.

We haven't completed the additional paperwork and we haven't spoke to them over the phone....
    Last edited by YorkshireJon; 07-07-2017 at 10:47 AM.
    • YorkshireJon
    • By YorkshireJon 7th Jul 17, 1:52 PM
    • 25 Posts
    • 30 Thanks
    YorkshireJon
    • 7th Jul 17, 1:52 PM
    • 7th Jul 17, 1:52 PM
    This is the letter that came yesterday

So when I read that it seem as long as I now don't send back the LOA and LG they won't take my claim any further and as the letter tells me I can make the claim myself without using them.
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 7th Jul 17, 2:03 PM
    • 31,395 Posts
    • 37,099 Thanks
    Browntoa
    • 7th Jul 17, 2:03 PM
    • 7th Jul 17, 2:03 PM
    I'm a sceptic , did you actually ever have any dealings with Barclays ?

Or is it just a bait tactic to get you to sign up ?
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's and Discount Code boards which means I'm a volunteer to help them run smoothly and I can move and merge posts there. However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    • YorkshireJon
    • By YorkshireJon 7th Jul 17, 2:15 PM
    • 25 Posts
    • 30 Thanks
    YorkshireJon
    • 7th Jul 17, 2:15 PM
    • 7th Jul 17, 2:15 PM
    I'm a sceptic , did you actually ever have any dealings with Barclays ?

Or is it just a bait tactic to get you to sign up ?
    Originally posted by Browntoa
    yup had multiple loans / CC's with them from memory

Again, we had the original 'tell us information' forms from TCC which we filled in this is the result from that form
    • takman
    • By takman 7th Jul 17, 11:04 PM
    • 2,402 Posts
    • 2,015 Thanks
    takman
    • 7th Jul 17, 11:04 PM
    • 7th Jul 17, 11:04 PM
    yup had multiple loans / CC's with them from memory

Again, we had the original 'tell us information' forms from TCC which we filled in this is the result from that form
    Originally posted by YorkshireJon
    What was the point of that?

You filled in forms telling them that you had loans and CC's from Barclays and sent it to The Claims Guys who then sent a letter to Barclays to ask them and they replied to The Claims Guys who then sent a letter to you.

Why didn't you just sent a letter to Barclays directly?
    • amersall
    • By amersall 8th Jul 17, 7:37 AM
    • 16,637 Posts
    • 18,675 Thanks
    amersall
    • 8th Jul 17, 7:37 AM
    • 8th Jul 17, 7:37 AM
    If you do not sign the letter of authority, you don't need to proceed with them.
    You have it in the letter from them to this effect, so keep it as proof.

• Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 11th Jul 17, 10:38 AM
    • 18,880 Posts
    • 9,028 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    Leaving aside the issue of unnecessarily using a Claims Company simply to check if there was PPI, it's important to note that it's not somehow wrong simply to have insurance.

In order for the PPI to be refunded, you must first show it was mis-sold to you. Contrary to popular myth, PPI was not routinely added to credit cards and loans without the permission and knowledge of the customer. If you didn't know you had PPI, this usually means you've simply forgotten about it. Expect the Bank to produce signed documentation showing that you did know about it at the time of the sale.

By all means complain direct to the Bank and so avoid paying a crippling commission to "The Claims Guys", but make sure you make a valid complaint.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

938Posts Today

7,062Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin