Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

    • dannyjebb
    • By dannyjebb 7th Jul 17, 6:29 AM
    • 379Posts
    • 82Thanks
    Share buying
    • #1
    • 7th Jul 17, 6:29 AM
    Share buying 7th Jul 17 at 6:29 AM
    We currently put £50 a month away for our daughter into a regular savings account. We are thinking about putting some into buying shares, I have no experience in this whatsoever. Is it possible to put a such a small amount into shares each month? We would probably prefer to keep £25 in a savings account and £25 for investing.

    Many thanks
Page 1
    • Drp8713
    • By Drp8713 7th Jul 17, 6:56 AM
    • 775 Posts
    • 642 Thanks
    • #2
    • 7th Jul 17, 6:56 AM
    • #2
    • 7th Jul 17, 6:56 AM
    You can indeed, we pay £25 a month into the Scottish Mortgage IT via a bare trust for our son:

    We also do another £25 per month into the Blackrock Consensus 85 through a HL JISA:
    • AnotherJoe
    • By AnotherJoe 7th Jul 17, 7:11 AM
    • 8,227 Posts
    • 8,954 Thanks
    • #3
    • 7th Jul 17, 7:11 AM
    • #3
    • 7th Jul 17, 7:11 AM
    Yes but you wouldn't buy shares you'd buy funds or investment trusts.
    Assuming this is an 18 year or so investment then statistically you would get much more from these investments than savings so all into investments rather than 50/50 woukd be the best thing to do,

    I know Hargreaves Lansdown have a scheme that allows £50/month savings as that's what I do for my granddaughter. I'm sure others also allow regular payments at this level. It's all done by DD so once set up nothing to do.

    Your other decision is whether to save specifically into your daughters name or do it in yours, earmarked for her. The benefit of the latter is that you aren't obliged to give it to her at 18. If she's a massive spendthrift for example you might decide to hold it back a few years. You can't do that if it's in her name it's hers to spend on whatever she wants when she is 18.

    BTW these investments should be in a tax free account, which means either an ISA or a JISA (junior ISA). The disadvantage of it being in an ISA in your name is that her inv stments gets mixed in with yours.

    This is what I do though and just have her fund that I invest in one that I don't buy myself so it's clear which part of the ISA is hers. E.g. Every month I put £50 into Fund A. I also have funds B,C,D. It may be I might sell those and buy E,F G instead or keep those amd also buy fund X. But I keep on buying A every month so it's clear what is hers, when it's time, she is due that value of all the A.

    Hopefully this is clear if not ask .
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,288Posts Today

8,609Users online

Martin's Twitter