Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Hollyharvey
    • By Hollyharvey 7th Jul 17, 4:41 AM
    • 893Posts
    • 7,226Thanks
    Hollyharvey
    O/S Daily Friday 7th July
    • 7th Jul 17, 4:41 AM
    O/S Daily Friday 7th July 7th Jul 17 at 4:41 AM
    This is an “over the garden fence” type thread where we chat about everything Old Style and maybe a little bit more. It’s a great, inspiring and motivating thread we start each day to discuss what Old Style things we’re going to do today or what we’ve achieved already. Everyone’s welcome, please do come in, put your feet up (although check the fence hasn’t just been painted first!) and join us for an Old Style natter. The more the merrier!

As this is the Old Style Board, it would be appreciated if posts could include some Old Style content. Please be aware that many people may have small screens, or SLOW internet connections, so please don’t post large pictures, or clip art – links are preferred. When you make a post, if you feel like giving it a title, that will help others that don’t have the time to read everything skim through the thread quickly but if not it's not a problem. Please do not start a new daily thread before you go to bed at night because this often leaves things confusing with two daily threads live at the same time. The idea is that a member would start each new daily thread after they get up in the morning.
Page 2
    • camelot1001
    • By camelot1001 7th Jul 17, 2:40 PM
    • 3,464 Posts
    • 39,865 Thanks
    camelot1001
    Afternoon all from a very hot and sunny south of France

I've been to the little market and bought salad stuff, the tomatoes are delicious, as are the mussels from the little shop by the harbour, only 5 euros a kilo too.

I've had a bike ride round the town and had to stop here to use the internet, would be rude not to have a petit bier while I'm here.

Mussels and local wine for tea, what could be better?

Hope you're all well. Take care. Xx
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 7th Jul 17, 4:08 PM
    • 1,650 Posts
    • 12,809 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    Good morning
    Specky, I got a bit emotional reading your post, I never knew my grandparents .
    I think you are both so lucky, you to have such a lovely Nan, and your Nan to have you, time is such a precious gift.
    Originally posted by silver-oldie
    Specky I was completely drawn in there its like a story from the Waltons Your gran sounds amazing and its so lovely you spend so much time with her sadly a lot of baking talent and expertise dies with the person I know it did with my grandparents
    Originally posted by Nelski
    There's a family holiday happening in September to Spain and my gran is coming along. I asked her last night the dates and if she was going and she said she hopes to. But she's pessimistic about life. She's seen her husband and many of her friends pass away suddenly and I think she feels it's impending. This despite the fact she's still very fit and able given her age.

I suppose as I got older and other family members passed, the harsh reality that we all have a finite time on this planet made me appreciate her more - hence the reason why we have dinner dates now. Like you say Nelski, sadly many of family traditions or recipes can disappear suddenly and I'd rather that not be the case.

Glad to nearly be finished work and chill out, it's been one of those weeks.

camelot - Enjoy the mussels, are they local too?
    Judi - Sending you hugs.
    Debt Free Date: 29/09/16
    • meanmarie
    • By meanmarie 7th Jul 17, 4:52 PM
    • 4,911 Posts
    • 47,408 Thanks
    meanmarie
    Afternoon all,

Not so warm here today.....one short shower while we were out, but no rain here so garden will have to be watered.

I am sleeping well but still feeling very tired....need bloods done again next month, so will talk to doc when I go if I feel the same....suspect that most of problem is down to my weight and lack of fitness, but just in case.....

We have DS2 and GF for dinner and to stay the night, have got a lamb casserole thing in slow cooker (my first slow cooker venture!), they will be late so no panic on having things ready early.

3 machine loads of washing on the line, hope to get them in dry later......if I dont forget about them.

Enjoy the rest of your day everybody.
    Weight 08 February 86kg
    • Gers
    • By Gers 7th Jul 17, 5:32 PM
    • 5,754 Posts
    • 33,445 Thanks
    Gers
    Evening / afternoon.

It's rained for most of the day until about an hour ago.

Just as I sat down for my first cuppa of the day I heard fluttering, scratching and squawking from the flue, and down pops another blooming starling. It stood looking at me, both of us bemused. This time I simply opened the front door, opened the stove door and let it fly out. After a wee bang into the window I climbed on the sofa and guided it towards the right.

Then my own struggles with the laptop began. Eventually I tracked down a solution and did the umpteen steps required to get things going again. Sometimes the way to put things right is almost hidden, bit like going through the Crystal Maze or the Krypton Factor.

Just as I finished that a neighbour rang to ask for a lift from where he'd left his car and boat trailer back to where his boat was. Not far by sea but about two miles on land. Happy to help him as he helps me as lot, as does his wife.

I've been out onto the track and cut off lots of bits of dead wood on the wild fuschia and cleared out a huge amount of a weed called 'sticky willy' - no idea of its proper name. Oh, and my new bedroom rattan chair arrived too.

Now, it's time for a read. My hand did slip the cursor onto Amaz*n earlier and made me buy three books. . I buy them second hand these days, they cost 1p and £2.80 for postage.

As for grandparents, I never knew my father's side or my mother's father. My mother's mum (Omi) was very dear to me and I still think of her every day. She taught me to knit and embroider as well as simple cooking. I can still see her and me stripping blackcurrants with a fork at the kitchen sink. I miss her.
    • TravellingAbuela
    • By TravellingAbuela 7th Jul 17, 7:25 PM
    • 3,571 Posts
    • 20,891 Thanks
    TravellingAbuela
    Evening all. I am another lucky one who knew my grandparents well. My mum's parents that is ( my dad's dad died before I was born and his mum died when I was 4) My mum's parents lived next door to us and my grand-dad was my best friend when I was little - I followed him everywhere he went and loved to "help" him in his garden. I was 18 when he died and I was heartbroken. My grandma had endless patience with me teaching me to knit, sew, crochet, bake and cook whilst my mum was at work. I was 21 when my grandma died and I still think of them fondly every day. I still have all my grandma's recipes but they are looking a bit worse for wear these days!
    "If you dream alone it will remain just a dream. But if we all dream together it will become reality"
    • Judi
    • By Judi 7th Jul 17, 10:47 PM
    • 15,047 Posts
    • 61,167 Thanks
    Judi
    I never knew my Grandparents from Dad's side. My Grandad died a long time before I was born. My Grandmother died when I was 2. I know my Mom didn't like her much. Mom moved into my Dad's family home, here, when Mom and Dad got married.

My Grandad on my Mom's side died when I was 7. He was argumentative I remember that much. He had a mop of thick silver hair. My Grandma wasnt a cuddly sort of Grandma but she was nice. She had a large oak display cabinet in the 'best' room full of miniatures. Each time I went it had been added to....
    'Holy crap on a cracker!'
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

336Posts Today

3,310Users online

Martin's Twitter