Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Hollyharvey
    • By Hollyharvey 7th Jul 17, 4:41 AM
    • 782Posts
    • 6,308Thanks
    Hollyharvey
    O/S Daily Friday 7th July
    • 7th Jul 17, 4:41 AM
    O/S Daily Friday 7th July 7th Jul 17 at 4:41 AM
    This is an “over the garden fence” type thread where we chat about everything Old Style and maybe a little bit more. It’s a great, inspiring and motivating thread we start each day to discuss what Old Style things we’re going to do today or what we’ve achieved already. Everyone’s welcome, please do come in, put your feet up (although check the fence hasn’t just been painted first!) and join us for an Old Style natter. The more the merrier!

As this is the Old Style Board, it would be appreciated if posts could include some Old Style content. Please be aware that many people may have small screens, or SLOW internet connections, so please don’t post large pictures, or clip art – links are preferred. When you make a post, if you feel like giving it a title, that will help others that don’t have the time to read everything skim through the thread quickly but if not it's not a problem. Please do not start a new daily thread before you go to bed at night because this often leaves things confusing with two daily threads live at the same time. The idea is that a member would start each new daily thread after they get up in the morning.
Page 1
    • Hollyharvey
    • By Hollyharvey 7th Jul 17, 4:47 AM
    • 782 Posts
    • 6,308 Thanks
    Hollyharvey
    • 7th Jul 17, 4:47 AM
    • 7th Jul 17, 4:47 AM
    Morning everyone,

Another muggy night, so I didn’t sleep very well again. I’ve been up and about since 4.00am. Same as yesterday, I woke up about 3.30am and couldn’t get back to sleep so I’ve got up, got the doors and windows open and been reading. There is a plus side to this thought, it is nice to sit with a cup of tea and watch the dawn. I am grateful that I don’t have to go to work on such little sleep so can have a nap later; in that respect I am lucky.

There are a lot of us not sleeping well at the moment. It’s nice to have the warm summer weather but it does make sleeping difficult. I think an afternoon nap will be called for today again.

It was lovely weather here yesterday. On the local forecast there had been a number of storms in the area but it all missed us here. We had a light shower about 9.00pm and that was all, and the forecast for today looks good.

I went to the park and did a bit of people watching yesterday. It is interesting how people seem to behave so different in the hot weather. It is nice to see happy smiling faces though. In the park they have a massive screen up during the summer and show films in the open air, and at the moment Wimbledon is being shown every afternoon. It seems to keep a lot of people out of the shops in the town and was fairly quiet when I popped into town.

Today if it isn’t too hot I want to get a bit of baking done again, as I have agreed to do a few bits for a charity fete this weekend. I will then probably go for a wander around the park again this afternoon.

Today I am going to pop out shortly to get the few fresh bits and pieces that I need for the weekend. I’m hoping to get out and back before it gets too hot.

This afternoon I may go and have a walk around the park, keeping to the shady areas, and maybe sit and people watch for a little while.

I hope that you all have a good day whatever you are doing.
    • nmlc
    • By nmlc 7th Jul 17, 6:26 AM
    • 2,778 Posts
    • 37,400 Thanks
    nmlc
    • 7th Jul 17, 6:26 AM
    • 7th Jul 17, 6:26 AM
    Morning everyone

HollyHarvey - thanks for starting us off, you'll need a nap later after such an early start x

Hugs to those that want/need one x

Happy birthday to those with a birthday x

Beautiful clear sky and sunshine to start the day, very warm already.

DH up and gone to work early, DS1 now getting ready for work and DS2 still in his pit, will wake him shortly as he wants a lift into town with me this morning.

Dinner last night was pork chops, mash, carrots, HG broad beans, broc, peas, LO yorkshires and gravy. Tonight I'm not sure but will be organising later as I'll be doing food shopping today.

Yesterday I wasn't very motivated as the incident that had happened during the night dragged on to nearly all day and as I'd been awake most of the night I didn't really feel up to doing much, I managed to get into town and do what was needed there. I did also do 3 x loads of washing and got it all line dried, stripped, washed and dried our bed linen and put it back on.

On to today -
    I have a pedicure first thing, so my feet look half way decent whilst I'm on hols. Once that's done I'll be visiting L**l to do my food shopping as where I normally go will be horrific by that time on a Friday morning, hoping L**l won't be quite so bad. I must do the ironing, as it's rather a large pile now.

Keep safe and well x

nmlc x
    WEIGHTLOSS SINCE JUNE 2009 - 5 ST 2LB
    • Hard Up Hester
    • By Hard Up Hester 7th Jul 17, 6:29 AM
    • 3,035 Posts
    • 35,863 Thanks
    Hard Up Hester
    • 7th Jul 17, 6:29 AM
    • 7th Jul 17, 6:29 AM
    Morning all
    Thanks for the thread Holly, hugs to all in need, waves to Lame wolf.
    We didn't get the promised storm here so I expect it will be hot again.
    Have a good day everyone.
    Hugs Hester
    Chin up, Titus out.
    • ancientofdays
    • By ancientofdays 7th Jul 17, 6:30 AM
    • 1,137 Posts
    • 12,605 Thanks
    ancientofdays
    • 7th Jul 17, 6:30 AM
    • 7th Jul 17, 6:30 AM
    Good morning and thank you for starting us off Hollyharvey.
    Another bright as sunny day - yesterday we were meant to have a storm but it didn't happen.
    In common with possibly most of us, I've been sleeping poorly but last night was so exhausted that I went to bed at 9 and slept until 5, with one quick loo break. I feel a lot better for a decent sleep.
    Not much to do today, other than a bit of mild window cleaning.
    I hope everyone has a good day.
    I was jumping to conclusions and one of them jumped back
    • Judi
    • By Judi 7th Jul 17, 6:46 AM
    • 14,932 Posts
    • 60,457 Thanks
    Judi
    • 7th Jul 17, 6:46 AM
    • 7th Jul 17, 6:46 AM
    Morning all,

Weird dreams all night for me. No matter how I convince myself I'm fine, my dreams tell me otherwise.

It will pass.

Onwards and forwards

Have a great day all.
    'Holy crap on a cracker!'
    • TravellingAbuela
    • By TravellingAbuela 7th Jul 17, 6:48 AM
    • 3,542 Posts
    • 20,507 Thanks
    TravellingAbuela
    • 7th Jul 17, 6:48 AM
    • 7th Jul 17, 6:48 AM
    Morning folks and thanks HOLLY for starting. Surprisingly I slept till 6.00, despite the muggy weather. I thought I had crept quietly down the stairs but youngest DGD heard me and followed me down. She is now watching some raucous American rubbish on Nick. Gone are the days of Peppa Pig and Paw Patrol! Middle DGD will be to waken up shortly.

Once the girls have been despatched to school I have the dubious pleasure of the Friday Tidy and clean round. In this heat it will be a half hearted effort. We never got the rain yesterday and by the time late tea was over, DS had gone home and the girls put to bed, I CBA going out to water the pots etc. so must do that today before they all shrivel and die!

There's a pile of ironing from the 2 washer loads I did yesterday but I am turning a blind eye to that until it cools down! Not given a thought to today's meals but it won't involve anything that means putting the oven on and turning the kitchen into a sauna!

Have a good day folks and (HUGS) to the poorlies, sad or worried who want them. Take care all xx
    "If you dream alone it will remain just a dream. But if we all dream together it will become reality"
    • redruby
    • By redruby 7th Jul 17, 7:14 AM
    • 6,393 Posts
    • 88,329 Thanks
    redruby
    • 7th Jul 17, 7:14 AM
    Morning all

Another scorcher in store today, we were all melting in the kitchen yesterday and the clients were very hot and bothered and we had a few arguments, I thought one would turn into a fight but we managed to distract them long enough for them to forget it !

Off there again today and all weekend which I am not looking forward to at all in this heat !

Takeaway and wine night tonight which is great, and I also need to wash my work t-shirts so that I have enough for the weekend.

Have good days all xx
    • Gers
    • By Gers 7th Jul 17, 7:14 AM
    • 5,694 Posts
    • 32,872 Thanks
    Gers
    Good morning folks.

Still raining, never stopped yesterday. . Just to compound the misery camelot sent me a text from France showing her cold beer and red hot westher....

My laptop gave me more problems, I think it's on its last legs. As my broadband speed here is so slow (2mbps) everything takes so long to sort out or download programmes. I'll probably have to wait until next week when I'm back in Glasgow to sort it properly out.

Anyway, my day will be fine. Yoghurt for first meal and then chicken salad for later. The second marking documentation is missing chunks of assessment material, I'm so dis-chuffed with my colleague. He's doing the student's such a disservice.

I hope everyone has a good Friday.
    • csarina2
    • By csarina2 7th Jul 17, 7:15 AM
    • 1,619 Posts
    • 14,722 Thanks
    csarina2
    Morning ((((((((((hugs)))))))))))) if you need one.

Awake early, could not drop off again. Got the council men coming this morning re the shed, fingers crossed please that the meeting goes well. We desperately need a new shed.

Very hot yesterday, we took my friend shopping at Aldi, when we got back to her flat we could not unlock the door, the centre part of the lock fell out into the flat. The manager had to get a locksmith in to sort the door. She insisted we came home, she was ok. Rang just after 4.30 she was in the flat and the chap had just gone after 2 1/2 hours sorting the lock out.

It looks like another very hot day today, will be doing as little as possible.

Fish and chips tonight, I dare say there will be raspberries too.
    • lonewhitewolf
    • By lonewhitewolf 7th Jul 17, 7:21 AM
    • 239 Posts
    • 3,252 Thanks
    lonewhitewolf
    Morning all x Thanks Holly for kicking us off x
    Well managed to get to hearing test yesterday and my hearing is fine so no need for aids just yet. He did notice that I seem to have some irration in the left ear so will mention it to doc when I see him.
    Dinner last night was burgers and wedges.
    DD1 and DGD popped in yesterday afternoon and DGD spent most of her time in the garden playing with a neighbours cat .
    DD2 spent the night at DD1 house as she is babysitting tonight and wanted to know DGD bedtime routine. So peaceful night here.
    No real rain yesterday so feeling warm already here today.
    Got bedding in the WM and will put it on the line when done. DW ready to go on and just a quick flick round is all that's needed today.
    Need to spray varnish the newist fairy house to add to the fairy village now it's paints dry.
    Apart from that not a lot gapping here today.
    Hugs to all in need xx
    Bright Blessings xx
    • LaineyT
    • By LaineyT 7th Jul 17, 8:22 AM
    • 1,450 Posts
    • 17,010 Thanks
    LaineyT
    Morning everyone and thanks for the start Holly,

We had a lot of thunder rolling round yesterday but very little rain, today is set to be hot again but apart from one wee break I did manage to sleep relatively well.
    Will get as much done in the next hour or so before the heat ramps up, I want to wash down the stairs as we only have a runner carpet and the sides get grubby. The dog's blankets need a wash as well so will do a cleanse wash on the machine afterwards,
    Right, better crack on, have a good day folks x
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 7th Jul 17, 8:41 AM
    • 15,093 Posts
    • 122,412 Thanks
    JackieO
    Good Morning chums and thanks Holly for kick starting the day.Very warm already here, and I have the fan on.A little rain yesterday but only very light shower which lasted about 5 minutes certainly not enough to wet the flowers
    DGS has arrived in Montreal safely bless him he texted to say all was well and although tired was really pleased to get there and see his g/f.

Today I am making a quiche with lots of odds and ends already in stock so it will be virtually free apart from the cooking of it I have eggs,mushroom,cheese,bacon bits and red onions plus some pastry from the freezer so its only a case of chucking it altogether and bunging it in the oven it will do with salad bits over the weekend for dinner tonight and a couple of lunches, so a NSD for me Nothing to buy on my shopping list at the moment and I am using up as much as I can from my stores.I have a cream caramel packet in the cupboard which I will make up as well today for puddings I bought it ages ago when it was reduced to 20p and its still in date not that I take a scrap of notice about dates anyway so that will do for at least four portions of puddings

Just about two portions of celery soup left so I may make some carrot and coriander soup as I snaffled some reduce carrots the other day and I like to have HM soup in the fridge as it makes for an easy quick lunchtime meal with cream cheese and crackers.

Far too hot to be trailing around supermarkets anyway

Hope you all are enjoying the sunshine but remember to use sun screen as its not nice to get burned

Take care everyone

JackieO xxx
    Quot Libra,Quam Breve Tempus.
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 7th Jul 17, 8:41 AM
    • 1,604 Posts
    • 12,443 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    Morning all,

Thank goodness it's Friday.

Yesterday evening, with it being the first Thursday of the month, meant dinner date with my gran. I brought her some flowers which she reluctantly accepted. She'd made the table and as expected, the soup was bubbling away. This followed by homemade haddock and chips. Topped off with some homemade eves pudding.

My gran was always a good baker. I would go to my grans straight from school when I was only 9 or 10, and she would have baked a chocolate cake on the monday and I'd have a slice each day. When I got a little bit older, I asked for the recipe so I could make it at home and I could have more of it. So from then I got the taste (pardon the pun) for baking.

Since my gran is adament on making me dinner, and not the other way about (she says the last thing I should be doing is cooking a meal after a hard days work) then I want to bake her an afternoon tea that we can enjoy one Saturday afternoon. To do that, I need to learn how to make scones, something I've never done before.

So last night, after dinner, we made scones together. I felt like I went back 20 years and we were baking chocolate cake again. It was lovely. Once baked, we lathered them with butter and sat and chatted for a couple of hours. The perfect evening.

Been up and at it this morning. Will probably opt for a chilled our evening on the couch, we'll see.

redruby - enjoy the scran tonight!
    Gers - I share your envy of the good weather. Not much we can do about it.
    Debt Free Date: 29/09/16
    NSD (5/15)
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 7th Jul 17, 8:44 AM
    • 10,774 Posts
    • 149,764 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    Good Morning all, surprisingly we slept fairly well last night despite the heat but we'd been fairly active and busy all day and by 9 I was tired enough to retire to bed and got straight off to sleep, just a loo break in the night and then back off again, so I feel human this morning. He Who Knows went off with his fishing friend for 7.30 this morning to fish until lunchtime and I've got Maisie doggie for the day, she's snoozing beside me as I'm typing. DD1's term finished yesterday and I've never seen her more in need of a break, teaching seems to get more and more complex and demanding with each school year that passes, tonight is the Summer Ball and that's the last official school event until term starts in September, she's got a new posh ball gown and some really pretty little sparkly sandals and is having her hair done at the hairdressers I'm looking forward to seeing the photos.

Nothing much planned for today but I got up early and put the vacuum through downstairs, the beds are made and I've a pan of soup simmering on the hob for a few days lunches. I'm just going to enjoy having a dog about the house and doing a couple of nice walks in shady places later on.

Have a good day all, xxx.
    Last edited by MrsLurcherwalker; 07-07-2017 at 9:02 AM.
    Go forward with the vision even if no one else can see it!

No amount of regretting can change the past, and no amount of worrying can change the future!
    • Nelski
    • By Nelski 7th Jul 17, 9:22 AM
    • 12,023 Posts
    • 33,747 Thanks
    Nelski
    Good morning

Specky I was completely drawn in there its like a story from the Waltons Your gran sounds amazing and its so lovely you spend so much time with her sadly a lot of baking talent and expertise dies with the person I know it did with my grandparents

Jackie that quiche sounds lush save a slice for your adopted one

Gers that is a seriously slow internet speed Good to hear Camelot is having a good time

Bit cloudier today after a very hot one yesterday. Managed to get some sun bathing in after work and finished my book club book which is amazing for me thats 2 weeks before I need to.

Lunch with mum today....seems my technique may be working just a little bit though when I rang her yesterday she asked if we could take a trip to Marks and Spencer next week to get some jeans it will be a pain of a day as she wants to come to the one right round the corner from where I live (its a big out of town one) so it will mean picking her up bringing her back here then taking her back and coming home again lots of miles ......but its a step forward ...I think and at least she will get herself some jeans that fit

Looking forward to a weekend of cleaning ....well I am looking forward to the end of result actually I detest cleaning but needs must

Need to plan some weekend cooking as well thinking some beef bourguignon and some soups but that may change its far too hot for either of these but they do make good ready meals

Anyway best get on time and tide and all that have a great day everyone
    • nannywindow
    • By nannywindow 7th Jul 17, 9:49 AM
    • 292 Posts
    • 3,510 Thanks
    nannywindow
    Morning
    Lovely day here, we also missed those storms.
    The bed has been stripped and the WM on. DH has gone to see his friend who is having a bit of a hard time at present, so I have the morning to myself.
    When the washing is on the whirly, I shall be pottering in the garden. I want to fill the green waste bins ready for recycling next Tuesday. Trouble with this nice weather is everything seems to grow twice as fast, especially the weeds ( and the brambles through from next door ). If I'm up to it I want to mow the lawns too, if not DH will do it later.
    Tea tonight will be, haven't a clue. I think a rummage in the freezer will be in order.
    Have a good day everybody.
    • silver-oldie
    • By silver-oldie 7th Jul 17, 11:17 AM
    • 164 Posts
    • 1,619 Thanks
    silver-oldie
    Good morning
    Thanks for starting us off Holly.

Specky, I got a bit emotional reading your post, I never knew my grandparents .
    I think you are both so lucky, you to have such a lovely Nan, and your Nan to have you, time is such a precious gift.

Still hot, no rain yesterday, poor garden is so dry.

Managed to get most of the kitchen cleaning done, why have I got 14 tins to tomatoes, 8 packets of savoury rice plus etc I was going shopping.. why??

Going to do some serious meal planning.

Hope you all have a good day
    If you walk at night no-one will see you cry.
    • caronc
    • By caronc 7th Jul 17, 1:45 PM
    • 2,069 Posts
    • 14,041 Thanks
    caronc
    Good afternoon everyone, thanks to Holly for starting the thread and hugs to anyone that needs one.

Still damp and murky here. It did dry up later on yesterday but the midgies were out in force so no gardening done apart from a quick foray to pick the first batch of dwarf beans. I suspect today may be the same ....

I had a really rubbish sleep last night so a wee afternoon of feet up & kindle/snooze is on the cards. I need to pop a washing on later but apart from that there isn't anything that can't wait for another day.

Hope everyone has a good day x
    April GC £150/£160, May GC £150/£150, June GC £117/£120, July £185/£170, August £89/£120
    • Judi
    • By Judi 7th Jul 17, 2:14 PM
    • 14,932 Posts
    • 60,457 Thanks
    Judi
    I think Prodigal thinks he's moved in. I think they call it moving in by stealth.

Despite having a washer and dryer that costs nothing where he is staying, he is bringing me his washing.

Despite having a computer and free internet where he is staying, he wants to use mine.

He is eating me out of house and home. He's eating half a loaf at a time.

He's stolen all my jewellery (ok thats in the past but even so), he keeps turning up here drunk and aggressive.

He asked me for money earlier (ok it was only £3 but even so...). He didnt get any.

This has to stop.
    'Holy crap on a cracker!'
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

152Posts Today

1,513Users online

Martin's Twitter