Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • madfiddler
    • By madfiddler 7th Jul 17, 3:08 AM
    • 14Posts
    • 20Thanks
    madfiddler
    Suspended but asked what I did wrong
    • 7th Jul 17, 3:08 AM
    Suspended but asked what I did wrong 7th Jul 17 at 3:08 AM
    Hi all,

A couple of weeks after the birth of my daughter I was suspended from work. They actually initiated it all the day before we went into hospital. When they emailed the request I asked what it was about as I was stressed and they said they had a couple of things to talk about and ended the mail with a smiley face.

I was told I was being suspended due to an allegation into a breach of trust and confidentiality but not further details were given.

There is a second allegation into attitude and behaviour but that's not what the suspension is about.

I had to think hard what this could be and came up with something quite insignificant but in black and white could meet this description.

At the investigation meeting I still wasn't told but was asked to tell them what I thought it might be. So I told them, but isn't this a tad unfair? I may be completely wrong and am just giving them evidence?

They also didn't ask me the reason, or background, Which caused me to do what I did , but reworded what I said using the word knowingly, which it was not.

Apologies if this is too cryptic
Page 1
    • Takeaway_Addict
    • By Takeaway_Addict 7th Jul 17, 6:34 AM
    • 5,642 Posts
    • 6,436 Thanks
    Takeaway_Addict
    • 7th Jul 17, 6:34 AM
    • 7th Jul 17, 6:34 AM
    Hi all,

A couple of weeks after the birth of my daughter I was suspended from work. They actually initiated it all the day before we went into hospital. When they emailed the request I asked what it was about as I was stressed and they said they had a couple of things to talk about and ended the mail with a smiley face.

I was told I was being suspended due to an allegation into a breach of trust and confidentiality but not further details were given.

There is a second allegation into attitude and behaviour but that's not what the suspension is about.

I had to think hard what this could be and came up with something quite insignificant but in black and white could meet this description.

At the investigation meeting I still wasn't told but was asked to tell them what I thought it might be. So I told them, but isn't this a tad unfair? I may be completely wrong and am just giving them evidence?

They also didn't ask me the reason, or background, Which caused me to do what I did , but reworded what I said using the word knowingly, which it was not.

Apologies if this is too cryptic
    Originally posted by madfiddler
    How long ago was this?

And it is to cryptic to get much help I'm afraid but what I will say is either your employer is very stupid to try something on whilst you're on maternity leave or they have a very strong case.
    Don't trust a forum for advice. Get proper paid advice. Any advice given should always be checked
    • ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    • By ScorpiondeRooftrouser 7th Jul 17, 7:46 AM
    • 2,042 Posts
    • 3,069 Thanks
    ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    • 7th Jul 17, 7:46 AM
    • 7th Jul 17, 7:46 AM
    There wouldn't have been much point in them asking why you did something if you were claiming not to know what that something was.
    • sangie595
    • By sangie595 7th Jul 17, 7:53 AM
    • 4,056 Posts
    • 6,582 Thanks
    sangie595
    • 7th Jul 17, 7:53 AM
    • 7th Jul 17, 7:53 AM
    How long ago was this?

And it is to cryptic to get much help I'm afraid but what I will say is either your employer is very stupid to try something on whilst you're on maternity leave or they have a very strong case.
    Originally posted by Takeaway_Addict
    Isn't it strange - I didn't once assume that this was someone on maternity leave. I assumed paternity leave.
    But either way, if there is something to investigate, being on leave doesn't halt that. Pat that, I'm afraid I haven't a clue what the post is about or what advice is being asked for. On this amount of information no advice would be worth having - it couldn't be remotely accurate.
    • Takeaway_Addict
    • By Takeaway_Addict 7th Jul 17, 8:07 AM
    • 5,642 Posts
    • 6,436 Thanks
    Takeaway_Addict
    • 7th Jul 17, 8:07 AM
    • 7th Jul 17, 8:07 AM
    Isn't it strange - I didn't once assume that this was someone on maternity leave. I assumed paternity leave.
    But either way, if there is something to investigate, being on leave doesn't halt that. Pat that, I'm afraid I haven't a clue what the post is about or what advice is being asked for. On this amount of information no advice would be worth having - it couldn't be remotely accurate.
    Originally posted by sangie595
    Actually, re-reading this I suspect your assumption is correct!
    Don't trust a forum for advice. Get proper paid advice. Any advice given should always be checked
    • Crazy Jamie
    • By Crazy Jamie 7th Jul 17, 8:24 AM
    • 2,129 Posts
    • 2,041 Thanks
    Crazy Jamie
    • 7th Jul 17, 8:24 AM
    • 7th Jul 17, 8:24 AM
    The question broadly speaking seems to be about whether the approach taken by the employer is fair. In that respect this is clearly an investigation, so they're not necessarily going to know everything about the situation before they ask you (and potentially others) about it. At the same time, there must be something there in order for them to decide to suspend you. In my view having you turn up to a meeting and asking you what you think it is about isn't the right way to go about things. If they have a suspicion or allegation, they should be putting that to you. That said, the meeting isn't an end in and of itself. They now have to make a decision as to what to do going forwards (i.e. proceed with a disciplinary process or not). The fairness of the process as a whole is better judged in the context of what they do next and why they do it. So notwithstanding any criticism that could be put to them regarding how they handled that first meeting, it's difficult to draw any overarching conclusions at this point.
    "MIND IF I USE YOUR PHONE? IF WORD GETS OUT THAT
    I'M MISSING FIVE HUNDRED GIRLS WILL KILL THEMSELVES."
    • madfiddler
    • By madfiddler 7th Jul 17, 2:58 PM
    • 14 Posts
    • 20 Thanks
    madfiddler
    • 7th Jul 17, 2:58 PM
    • 7th Jul 17, 2:58 PM
    Thanks all for the responses.

This was indeed paternity, with the original meeting request happening early May, and the interview at the end.

There has obviously been an allegation made which they are classifying as the trust and confidence, but they will not tell me what the actual allegation that they are investigating is. This is what I find a tad strange.
    • sangie595
    • By sangie595 7th Jul 17, 5:20 PM
    • 4,056 Posts
    • 6,582 Thanks
    sangie595
    • 7th Jul 17, 5:20 PM
    • 7th Jul 17, 5:20 PM
    It isn't uncommon to not disclose the allegation, if that is all you are asking. And there's nothing wrong with asking you what you think it's about. If you don't know, that is the answer. If you choose to disclose something, then that isn't their problem. They didn't do anything wrong on asking, if that is all you are wanting to know.
    • madfiddler
    • By madfiddler 7th Jul 17, 5:47 PM
    • 14 Posts
    • 20 Thanks
    madfiddler
    • 7th Jul 17, 5:47 PM
    • 7th Jul 17, 5:47 PM
    Ok thank you!
    • Gavin83
    • By Gavin83 7th Jul 17, 6:55 PM
    • 4,677 Posts
    • 7,452 Thanks
    Gavin83
    What did you do that for? You had nothing to gain from telling them what you thought it might be but a lot to lose. Really in any situation your answer should be "I don't know."
    • madfiddler
    • By madfiddler 7th Jul 17, 9:37 PM
    • 14 Posts
    • 20 Thanks
    madfiddler
    Yep, agreed, but when you're on the spot.... and perhaps slightly naive.....
    • Geoff1963
    • By Geoff1963 10th Jul 17, 2:26 AM
    • 1,056 Posts
    • 677 Thanks
    Geoff1963
    A suspension ( on full pay ? ) is normally to take the suspect away from the workplace ; so that investigations can be made unhindered, and witnesses won't be intimidated.
    If the OP was on Paternity Leave, there was no need for them to be removed in that way, and hence no need for the company to change his status.

However, if the OP was not on Paternity Leave ( or Paternity Leave is less than 100 % of pay ), the company is giving him several weeks of time off, on full pay, just after his partner has given birth. Maybe it's just me, but the smiley face suggests something a bit devious is going on, in the OP's favour.

A very stressed manager once asked me ( in jest ) to accuse them of something bad, because they needed a few days off and couldn't afford the holiday.
    • deannatrois
    • By deannatrois 10th Jul 17, 3:02 AM
    • 4,852 Posts
    • 6,816 Thanks
    deannatrois
    From the way the meeting went, I doubt the above is true, unfortunately.

Personally (I don't have a clue if this is the correct way to proceed) I would not say anything more until I knew what they were investigating. I'd also be looking at having a witness.

I would be very careful about what I said in any future meetings given that you have now described a situation you thought might be the cause and they've added the word 'knowingly' in later correspondence. It may be what they can do (although I'm not sure I'd agree, it sounds like entrapment to me) but I'd be very careful and non commital in future meetings.

I believe you can phone ACAS for advice. I'd suggest you do this. But try and explain to them fully what the situation is as you know it.

http://www.acas.org.uk/index.aspx?articleid=1339
    • ohreally
    • By ohreally 10th Jul 17, 10:20 AM
    • 6,320 Posts
    • 4,842 Thanks
    ohreally
    Op,I've never been involved in an investigation such as you describe. Management have always held a short meeting with the individual facing suspension briefly outlining the circumstances leading up to this point.

During the investigation hearing they may well embark on a fishing expedition casting their net wide, you need to be prepared for this. There can be a fine line between being co-operative and building their case for them.

Tread carefully.
    • madfiddler
    • By madfiddler 10th Jul 17, 6:12 PM
    • 14 Posts
    • 20 Thanks
    madfiddler
    Thing is @Geoff1963, I work from home whereas the office I have been mainly been working for is based in Birmingham, so there's no question of me intimidating anyone, not that I would anyway.

Thank for the Acas tips. I've been part of a Union for most of my working life, but generally because I play gigs in my spare time, as it turns out they are helping out with this too.

I'm just waiting now for a letter inviting me to a disciplinary hearing I guess. I'll be putting my reasoning across at that stage I presume, although it seems that's a little too late if the disciplinary hearing is to determine what to do with me based on their one sided investigation..... Maybe they'll surprise me and ask me more questions. There's so many issues from my side which I believe need to be taken into account.

A lovely way to hit 10 years with the company (with an unblemished record might I add).
    • elsien
    • By elsien 10th Jul 17, 6:18 PM
    • 15,302 Posts
    • 38,409 Thanks
    elsien
    If they call a disciplinary hearing then they need to let you know before hand what the allegations are so you can present your side of things effectively. Do you have a copy of your organisations disciplinary procedure - if not, you might want to get one.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
    • madfiddler
    • By madfiddler 10th Jul 17, 6:30 PM
    • 14 Posts
    • 20 Thanks
    madfiddler
    Yep I do now. They didn't supply one when I was suspended, but I asked for one a couple of days later. They still didn't supply all of the relevant documentation, which I do have now after the Union asked.

I'm also still waiting for a requested copy of the notes taken at the investigation meeting, which was over a month ago now.
    • Geoff1963
    • By Geoff1963 13th Jul 17, 10:25 PM
    • 1,056 Posts
    • 677 Thanks
    Geoff1963
    I'm also still waiting for a requested copy of the notes taken at the investigation meeting, which was over a month ago now.
    Are you still on suspension ? For over a month ? That sounds very odd.
    • jobbingmusician
    • By jobbingmusician 13th Jul 17, 10:36 PM
    • 18,784 Posts
    • 19,088 Thanks
    jobbingmusician
    Not in the voluntary sector, sadly..... I was suspended while an investigation was going on for 7 months, once! (Sad to say, although innocent I cracked - negotiated a good reference, got myself another job, and left.)
    I'm the Board Guide on the Matched Betting; Referrers and Jobseeking & Training boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

The good folk of the matched betting board are now (I hope!) supporting Macmillan, in memory of Fifigrace. Visit
    https://www.gofundme.com/running-the-leeds-10k-for-macmillan
    • madfiddler
    • By madfiddler 13th Jul 17, 11:04 PM
    • 14 Posts
    • 20 Thanks
    madfiddler
    Yes Geoff, still suspended but spending my time wisely.

Jobbingmusician - this is music related as well, but not voluntary.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,150Posts Today

6,927Users online

Martin's Twitter