Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Brennen
    • By Brennen 7th Jul 17, 2:33 AM
    • 3Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Brennen
    Buying home from Dad and Uncle
    • 7th Jul 17, 2:33 AM
    Buying home from Dad and Uncle 7th Jul 17 at 2:33 AM
    Hello, new to forum looking for some advice.
    I am buying a house from my dad and uncle that they inherited. House is paid off. I will be getting a loan for my uncles half of the house and inheriting my dads hlf. I need advice on how to go about the whole situation. The house is located on our family farm so I would basically be locked and would be really tough to sell down the road if I ever chose to.
    Thanks in advance.
Page 1
    • Norman Castle
    • By Norman Castle 7th Jul 17, 7:00 AM
    • 6,410 Posts
    • 5,186 Thanks
    Norman Castle
    • 7th Jul 17, 7:00 AM
    • 7th Jul 17, 7:00 AM
    Make sure there are full access rights to the property as part of the sale to keep its value if the family farm is sold.

Agreeing these now with your family is likely to be much easier and cheaper than during the sale of the farm.
    Don't harass a hippie. You'll get bad karma.
    • getmore4less
    • By getmore4less 7th Jul 17, 7:07 AM
    • 30,859 Posts
    • 18,458 Thanks
    getmore4less
    • 7th Jul 17, 7:07 AM
    • 7th Jul 17, 7:07 AM
    not clear what the situations is.

Is the house sitting in someones estate with dad and uncle as beneficiaries or has it been transferred to them if it has when ?

Is your dad dead(inheritance) or alive(gift) of his share?

does the uncle really need the cash or could he act as the lender and you pay him over time much the same as a mortgage.

Will you be looking at a mortgage or other type of loan.

Can the house be mortgaged? any restrictions on occupancy is it land locked (no right of access from public roads etc.

Most important do you want the house given you think it will be hard to liquidate later? (should reflect in the value)
    Last edited by getmore4less; 08-07-2017 at 6:33 AM.
    • Keep pedalling
    • By Keep pedalling 7th Jul 17, 7:52 AM
    • 4,116 Posts
    • 4,482 Thanks
    Keep pedalling
    • 7th Jul 17, 7:52 AM
    • 7th Jul 17, 7:52 AM
    If the person who left the house died within the last two years, and assuming your father is alive, it would be better for your father to pass his share of the house to you via a deed of variation. This should prevent it ever being part of his estate and subject to IHT should he die within 7 years of the gift.
    • Brennen
    • By Brennen 8th Jul 17, 12:11 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Brennen
    • 8th Jul 17, 12:11 AM
    • 8th Jul 17, 12:11 AM
    Thanks for the replys
    Some things I should be more clear on. My grandfather passed away 3 years ago. That's how they inherited it. Another family member was just renting. Since then but has moved out. Im not interested in renting and my uncle wants to sell his half.
    The house and lot has been surveyed so it is its own separate land from the farm which is located directly next door.
    So I'm worried that since the farm is next door when I'm ready to move onto a bigger house it will be hard to sell. So wondering how much lower than appraised value since it will be hard to liquidate.
    I'm not land locked whatsoever.
    With the being a new land and not part of the farms anymore am I going to have to pay an extremely high taxes?
    Should I pay to have the home inspected before buying?
    I do plan on getting a mortgage loan b/c rates are only like 3%.
    • getmore4less
    • By getmore4less 8th Jul 17, 6:51 AM
    • 30,859 Posts
    • 18,458 Thanks
    getmore4less
    • 8th Jul 17, 6:51 AM
    • 8th Jul 17, 6:51 AM
    So I'm worried that since the farm is next door when I'm ready to move onto a bigger house it will be hard to sell. So wondering how much lower than appraised value since it will be hard to liquidate.
    Easiest way to do that is stick it on the open market and see what happens, you could get some guidance from local EA.

Mortgage lender will want to value so that will be another guide.

There will be a few things that will affect the market like the property location, type of farming, size house along with the plot of land and outbuildings that has been put together.

Around where I live, a reasonable size house with a bit of land a stable block will fetch good money and will be an OK sell as there are enough horsey people

A tiny house on a tiny plot next to a cattle shed would be a harder sell.
    • Sea Shell
    • By Sea Shell 8th Jul 17, 6:56 AM
    • 428 Posts
    • 412 Thanks
    Sea Shell
    • 8th Jul 17, 6:56 AM
    • 8th Jul 17, 6:56 AM
    So just to clarify...you want to buy your Uncles half, which means you'd then own it 50/50 with your Father??
    " That pound I saved yesterday, is a pound I don't have to earn tomorrow "
    • Brennen
    • By Brennen 8th Jul 17, 12:36 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Brennen
    • 8th Jul 17, 12:36 PM
    • 8th Jul 17, 12:36 PM
    No the title will solely be in my name. My dad is able to right it up in ththe will that my sister gets x amount of dollars first then everything gets split up. If that makes sense.
    • Mojisola
    • By Mojisola 8th Jul 17, 12:41 PM
    • 28,657 Posts
    • 72,990 Thanks
    Mojisola
    • 8th Jul 17, 12:41 PM
    • 8th Jul 17, 12:41 PM
    No the title will solely be in my name. My dad is able to right it up in ththe will that my sister gets x amount of dollars first then everything gets split up. If that makes sense.
    Originally posted by Brennen
    Which country do you live in?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,324Posts Today

8,288Users online

Martin's Twitter