Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Rm1505
    • By Rm1505 7th Jul 17, 1:08 AM
    • 12Posts
    • 1Thanks
    Rm1505
    New tenant
    • 7th Jul 17, 1:08 AM
    New tenant 7th Jul 17 at 1:08 AM
    Hi 👋

I moved into my rented flat in mid March, since then I've been trying relentlessly to set up an account with the previously chosen energy supplier.

After sending my details via the new tenancy form on their site and hearing nothing, I then sent my details directly via email and heard nothing, I then began to phone them in June to give them my details and meter readings, and the lady told me they hadn't received a single email or any communication from me at all. She told me my account setup would be fastracked as it was then 3 months I had been in my flat. I have still not heard anything from them.

Two weeks later (i.e. Monday of this week) I decided to phone them again, and lo and behold, this lady told me that they HAD received all my emails and forms as she was looking at them on her screen. She wasn't much help, but said my account was in the process of being set up, and yesterday I received my first ever communication from them, which was just a general email saying they were in the middle of setting everything up.

So, short version is that by the time I go to pay my bill, I will have 4 months of gas and electricity to pay all at once. All because they basically ignored my forms and emails for so long. I have no idea how much this is even going to cost me (new to renting) and I am worried about being landed with a massive bill.

Is there any point in my complaining to them about how long it has taken? Or is there any other action I could take? I am so stressed out about not being able to pay my bill which I wanted to pay monthly for ease as this is the first time living away from my parents and it feels like I am failing.

Does anyone have any ideas on what I should do next?

Thanks for reading!
Page 2
    • Rm1505
    • By Rm1505 10th Jul 17, 3:56 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Rm1505
    I did provide them with my phone number and a time to call which is on the form.

I should also point out that my landlord thought that they were "mainly an online company" which made me try all online options first
    • footyguy
    • By footyguy 10th Jul 17, 4:00 PM
    • 3,506 Posts
    • 1,398 Thanks
    footyguy
    I did provide them with my phone number and a time to call which is on the form.

I should also point out that my landlord thought that they were "mainly an online company" which made me try all online options first
    Originally posted by Rm1505
    As you didn't actually call them despite them offering a freephone number until last week, I don't think there is any point complaining.
    If they still haven't created an account for you, give them a call and they should do it immediately (or explain why they can't)
    They will also discuss with you their tariff options, and allow you to chose one if you wish ... but the best I would hope for would be effective last Monday; anything extra you should consider a good Brucey Bonus!

Afterall, the form points you to other tariffs available, and tells you they are only available with your express consent. I know if I saw a cheaper tariff I would have ensured they had that consent; infact I would have given them a clear instruction.

Good luck!
    Last edited by footyguy; 10-07-2017 at 4:06 PM.
    • Rm1505
    • By Rm1505 10th Jul 17, 4:09 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Rm1505
    I first phoned on the 19th of June, three weeks ago today, and then last Monday.

Both times they told me it takes 15 working days to set up an account. I have never been given an account number.

As far as I am aware, the variable tariff I am automatically put on will be the best option for me as I will hopefully be buying a house around March next year, so all these yearly fixed tariffs would cost me £30 to exit, so I don't mind the tariff issue as much. Its just the time they've taken to set up my account now.
    • Rm1505
    • By Rm1505 10th Jul 17, 5:50 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Rm1505
    So today I finally came home from work to be greeted by my welcome pack! Including my account number! Still in shock... Dated the 6th of July though so only sent on Thursday. Better late than never I suppose.
    • Cardew
    • By Cardew 10th Jul 17, 6:29 PM
    • 26,810 Posts
    • 12,992 Thanks
    Cardew
    So today I finally came home from work to be greeted by my welcome pack! Including my account number! Still in shock... Dated the 6th of July though so only sent on Thursday. Better late than never I suppose.
    Originally posted by Rm1505
    Ensure that they do not charge you at their expensive tariff from date of moving in; or if that is too difficult, get some compensation.
    • Rm1505
    • By Rm1505 10th Jul 17, 6:32 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Rm1505
    I will discuss the tariffs with them. I have had an email from them after my complaint saying that they will try to reduce my bill, but I have to be billed first before they can do that.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

626Posts Today

5,929Users online

Martin's Twitter