Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • kah22
    • By kah22 6th Jul 17, 11:13 PM
    • 1,257Posts
    • 449Thanks
    kah22
    Should I say it Christmas - 😱
    • 6th Jul 17, 11:13 PM
    Should I say it Christmas - 😱 6th Jul 17 at 11:13 PM
    There I said it 🤓

Seriously though it really doesn't be long of coming around, I'm picking up bits and pieces as I go along but I'm wondering about Christmas, or more accurately when to start the Christmas cake

There seems to be a difference of opinion here, some opting for stir-up-Sunday which this year is November 26, just 4 weeks before the big day, hardly enough time for a good feed. Others say 12 weeks before Christmas which would be the beginning of October. Last year I started mine on the 10th October (my brothers birthday) and it really turned out great. I use Delia's traditional recipe.

When do you start making your Christmas cake
    There are no strangers here; Only friends you haven't yet met. - William Butler Yeats
Page 1
    • pricew1970
    • By pricew1970 6th Jul 17, 11:23 PM
    • 966 Posts
    • 1,037 Thanks
    pricew1970
    • 6th Jul 17, 11:23 PM
    • 6th Jul 17, 11:23 PM
    What about Easter, is it too early ??? ��
    • elsien
    • By elsien 6th Jul 17, 11:26 PM
    • 14,895 Posts
    • 37,186 Thanks
    elsien
    • 6th Jul 17, 11:26 PM
    • 6th Jul 17, 11:26 PM
    If you're not making it till October at the earliest why worry now when it's only the beginning of July? Summer hols to get through first.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 7th Jul 17, 2:22 AM
    • 22,944 Posts
    • 47,812 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    • 7th Jul 17, 2:22 AM
    • 7th Jul 17, 2:22 AM
    zippychick has kindly already bestowed us with the gift of Christmas 2017.

zip?
    • zippychick
    • By zippychick 7th Jul 17, 12:50 PM
    • 9,300 Posts
    • 17,706 Thanks
    zippychick
    • 7th Jul 17, 12:50 PM
    • 7th Jul 17, 12:50 PM
    zippychick has kindly already bestowed us with the gift of Christmas 2017.

zip?
    Originally posted by VfM4meplse
    Amaze! thank you!

I was just coming in to link to this. The christmas index (first posts) is a MASSIVE resource so please have a look. I have tried to put areas into categories so i think there are loads of christmas cake links etc

Yep here you go copied from the first post

I'll merge you in with the first below link later on

zip

when is the right time to make a christmas cake

Quick query on making my own christmas cake
    I'm a Board Guide of Old Style MoneySaving, The Northern Ireland board,How Much Have you Saved? and Martin's Blogs.
    This means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. However, do remember that Board Guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    New to the Forum? Why not watch the Guide?
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men
    Norn Iron club member #380

• gonebust
    • By gonebust 7th Jul 17, 2:00 PM
    • 169 Posts
    • 619 Thanks
    gonebust
    • 7th Jul 17, 2:00 PM
    • 7th Jul 17, 2:00 PM
    Bah humbug

Madness thinking about it till we at least get Halloween past us
    • zippychick
    • By zippychick 7th Jul 17, 2:25 PM
    • 9,300 Posts
    • 17,706 Thanks
    zippychick
    • 7th Jul 17, 2:25 PM
    • 7th Jul 17, 2:25 PM
    Bah humbug

Originally posted by gonebust
    Each to their own. Some people are planners, some aren't
    I'm a Board Guide of Old Style MoneySaving, The Northern Ireland board,How Much Have you Saved? and Martin's Blogs.
    This means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. However, do remember that Board Guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    New to the Forum? Why not watch the Guide?
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men
    Norn Iron club member #380

• Izadora
    • By Izadora 7th Jul 17, 2:45 PM
    • 1,322 Posts
    • 3,805 Thanks
    Izadora
    • 7th Jul 17, 2:45 PM
    • 7th Jul 17, 2:45 PM
    Bah humbug

Originally posted by gonebust
    I have to plan earlier than that because, with the best will in the world, I'm not as good at saving money for Christmas as I should be and trying to get everything out of 2 months' pay makes things a lot harder than spreading it out over a longer period.
    • Linda32
    • By Linda32 7th Jul 17, 8:09 PM
    • 4,062 Posts
    • 9,039 Thanks
    Linda32
    • 7th Jul 17, 8:09 PM
    • 7th Jul 17, 8:09 PM
    It make a Christmas cake each year. I make the cake about 4 weeks before. Then feed once about 10 days later. Marzipan about 10 days before Christmas and then ice a day or two before.
    • PlaysNicely
    • By PlaysNicely 8th Jul 17, 7:33 AM
    • 77 Posts
    • 445 Thanks
    PlaysNicely

I've always made mine in the October half term week, which usually falls in the last week of October. I guess is a compromise between the first week of Oct seeming too early and Stir-up Sunday seeming too late!

PNx
    £1000 Emergency fund challenge #236 - £147 / £1000 365 day penny challenge - £142.00 / £667.95 30 Fridays savings pot = £ 105 / £465
    NST July #23 - trying to build up EF & savings (as above)
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 8th Jul 17, 8:22 AM
    • 6,910 Posts
    • 18,513 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    The House Of Fraser sale triggers some of my Christmas planing, as they have really glorious mugs reduced... And I can collect them while at work & noone in my house knows.
    Stir Up Sunday mean loads to me & my sisters & mother etc, but somehow it's not made it into the lads' heads. (Despite solid links to stomach!) Mind, according to the last census, they're Jedi making me the token Christian.
    No lopped limbs spotted yet, and there is still usually a tree and presents & even stockings so maybe they're lapsed a bit?!
    • marygoodwife
    • By marygoodwife 1st Aug 17, 11:31 AM
    • 36 Posts
    • 139 Thanks
    marygoodwife
    Well it sounds daft but to be honest, I've made rhubarb jam, piccalilli, and carrot jam to give at Christmas, so they can sit in the cupboard now till then.
    It's all staring us in the face...we just can't see it!!!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

529Posts Today

5,145Users online

Martin's Twitter