PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Neighbours extension being built across boundary in my garden

Comments

• csgohan4
    csgohan4 Posts: 10,587 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    buglawton wrote: »
    There's one image showing a 1" gap between the new extension wall and OPs rendered wall. I'm surprised the council surveyor approved that, it makes for an un-maintainable wall that can be highly susceptible to damp. How would that wall be re-rendered ever? Were I the surveyor, I'd insist on the two walls being joined to prevent water/damp ingress.

your talking about the council, of course they go about things on the cheap
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land/Estate Agents"

G_M/ Bowlhead99 RIP
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    csgohan4 wrote: »
    your talking about the council, of course they go about things on the cheap

To be fair, this is seen quite often nowadays, but it's not great building practice. I can't understand why the OP's wall wasn't used.

Doing things seperately confers no advantage, unless one party later wants to demolish!
  • buglawton wrote: »
    There's one image showing a 1" gap between the new extension wall and OPs rendered wall. I'm surprised the council surveyor approved that, it makes for an un-maintainable wall that can be highly susceptible to damp. How would that wall be re-rendered ever? Were I the surveyor, I'd insist on the two walls being joined to prevent water/damp ingress.

Now that is a valid point - quite apart from the one made of "It's the Council's property - so their choice" - but this does look like a "technical" error.

At the least - I'd be concerned that all sorts of bits of rubbish - leaves/bits of paper/etc/etc would blow up into that gap.
  • Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,805 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    It looks to me, based on the position of the corbel above, like they're building a true party wall, straddling the boundary, which is why you appear to lose some patio slab.

If you think about it, the walls inside your house are built across the boundary. The true boundary is halfway through the wall and both properties make use of it.

It's actually how yours should have been built, with the neighbour's extension then sharing the wall.

That tiny gap between the two is ridiculous. It would have been cheaper and better to build off your wall, even though yours is really the one in the inconvenient place.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • Mossfarr
    Mossfarr Posts: 530 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Hung up my suit!
    edited 7 July 2017 at 9:55AM
    "On 23rd June I happened to notice that the builders working on the neighbours extension had taken down part of my wall and cut into my patio slab to lay bricks for the outer wall of the extension on what was part of my garden. It is clear for anyone to see that they have encroached the boundary line."

Its not yours - it belongs to the council, they don't need to ask your permission.

It would be no different if you were renting a private house, the owner(s) can do what they like with their own property. If you don't like the changes you have the choice to move somewhere else.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Lyndylou wrote: »
    Whilst I agree they have no obligation to preserve the value of the property, do they not have an obligation to inform or ask permission to destroy part of a wall and patio slab.

Yes, they do. From the owner of the property. The owner has been asked, and given their permission.
    Surely as a secure tenant I have a right to be consulted/given notice if they need to enter/change what I have been paying rent for.

You were quite happy for your extension to be built? You have no meaningful, tangible loss from this minor detail change.

How much difference do you think it should make to the rent you pay?
  • martindow
    martindow Posts: 10,214 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    If you really wanted to pursue this, although I do agree with previous posters, then I would contact a Party Wall Surveyor. The works that have been carried out fall under the Party Wall Act and you should have been notified if you have a 12-month tenancy or more. However the PWA does not have any power for works already carried out but you can stop the works if ongoing.

This isnt really a planning issue and TBH I am surprised they even came out to have a look.

EDIT: Also worth pointing out that even if this work was notifiable under PWA there wouldn't be an issue as you are allowed to build a wall astride a boundary. It then, if two separate owners, becomes a party wall and jointly owned.
    PWA won't apply as the council owns both of the houses and can do what they like. It doesn't allow tenants to start disputes.
  • KxMx
    KxMx Posts: 10,599 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Unfortunately as a renter, even with the Council, you have no say in such matters. In these cases, the LL has the entitlement, and not you as their tenant.
  • cloo
    cloo Posts: 1,291 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    I have to say that I think you should leave this one. Boundary wall disputes tend to be very 'how long is a piece of string' and this is the council's property. People tie themselves in knots and lose lots of money and go through loads of stress for these things and it's just not worth it. I know it's irritating, but it's less irritating that spending £££ on surveyors and a fruitless legal case.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Oh, and if anybody thinks the OP is being treated harshly, but hasn't gone through the photos, these are the relevant ones...

Before:
    IMG_3809.jpg

After:
    IMG_5082.jpg
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business