Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Claire Harris
    • By Claire Harris 6th Jul 17, 10:12 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Claire Harris
    Renting........ what can I do when no agents will accept me?
    • 6th Jul 17, 10:12 PM
    Renting........ what can I do when no agents will accept me? 6th Jul 17 at 10:12 PM
    Ok so here's the thing......... I'm a healthcare professional and earn a reasonable wage ish (I've worked b hard to get where I have). I'm a single mum, have two teens, 18yrs and 16yrs. I split from my ex husband 3yrs ago and ended up paying for all the bills which ended in a debt management plan . This effected my credit rating. I have pets too, so guess what???? Agents are wantinga credit rating of at least 620 and mine is 540 ............ this means if I pay for a credit check it's gonna be a no! It's hard enough finding a rental property who will accept pets and teens let alone the credit rating 😡 I'm able to pay all my bills and and my rent, I never miss it ! I work 2 jobs to ensure I make ends meet, I can't seem to find any private landlords that don't seem to use any form of credit check referencing! So gotta be out by 31st Aug, booked to see the council but holdnout much hope 😢😢😢any suggestions apart from the obvious livingbon a park bench senario 😂😊 thank you people
Page 2
    • aneary
    • By aneary 7th Jul 17, 10:30 AM
    • 746 Posts
    • 624 Thanks
    aneary
    Agents generally ask now about pets and it can void the contract. I think that is fair enough I rent flats ~(without outside space) rather than houses so it wouldn't be fair on the animal. Plus hair, accidents etc do cause more wear and tear.
    • Guest101
    • By Guest101 7th Jul 17, 10:40 AM
    • 15,128 Posts
    • 14,763 Thanks
    Guest101
    Agents generally ask now about pets and it can void the contract. I think that is fair enough I rent flats ~(without outside space) rather than houses so it wouldn't be fair on the animal. Plus hair, accidents etc do cause more wear and tear.
    Originally posted by aneary
    No it cant.
    • aneary
    • By aneary 7th Jul 17, 10:51 AM
    • 746 Posts
    • 624 Thanks
    aneary
    You can ask permission but a LL can reasonably refuse.

You would have to show that the pet will not cause a problem for his/her concerns, damage, fleas etc.

At the end of the day if you bring in a pet the LL can use the break clause or a section 21 at the end of the fix term to get rid it's pointless renting a place which says no pets.
    • Guest101
    • By Guest101 7th Jul 17, 10:57 AM
    • 15,128 Posts
    • 14,763 Thanks
    Guest101
    You can ask permission but a LL can reasonably refuse. - or even unreasonably - as long as they include the words "not to be withheld unreasonably" - LLs do not need to justify a no.

You would have to show that the pet will not cause a problem for his/her concerns, damage, fleas etc. - I mean it may help, but there's no appeals process, so you wouldn't 'have to' show anything

At the end of the day if you bring in a pet the LL can use the break clause or a section 21 at the end of the fix term to get rid it's pointless renting a place which says no pets.
    Originally posted by aneary

Indeed, but neither of those void a contract
    • aneary
    • By aneary 7th Jul 17, 11:32 AM
    • 746 Posts
    • 624 Thanks
    aneary
    Indeed, but neither of those void a contract
    Originally posted by Guest101
    But is it worth moving into a property with an animal if you know once the LL finds out he is going to want to get rid of you. Yes you can get it taken all the way to court before being kicked out and that takes months but really who wants the stress of that. Plus then the added of cost of getting a deposit together before you get your previous one back.

It's far easier to move somewhere where animals are accepted from the start.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,016Posts Today

9,619Users online

Martin's Twitter