Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Claire Harris
    • By Claire Harris 6th Jul 17, 10:12 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Claire Harris
    Renting........ what can I do when no agents will accept me?
    • 6th Jul 17, 10:12 PM
    Renting........ what can I do when no agents will accept me? 6th Jul 17 at 10:12 PM
    Ok so here's the thing......... I'm a healthcare professional and earn a reasonable wage ish (I've worked b hard to get where I have). I'm a single mum, have two teens, 18yrs and 16yrs. I split from my ex husband 3yrs ago and ended up paying for all the bills which ended in a debt management plan . This effected my credit rating. I have pets too, so guess what???? Agents are wantinga credit rating of at least 620 and mine is 540 ............ this means if I pay for a credit check it's gonna be a no! It's hard enough finding a rental property who will accept pets and teens let alone the credit rating 😡 I'm able to pay all my bills and and my rent, I never miss it ! I work 2 jobs to ensure I make ends meet, I can't seem to find any private landlords that don't seem to use any form of credit check referencing! So gotta be out by 31st Aug, booked to see the council but holdnout much hope 😢😢😢any suggestions apart from the obvious livingbon a park bench senario 😂😊 thank you people
Page 1
    • Pixie5740
    • By Pixie5740 6th Jul 17, 10:19 PM
    • 10,848 Posts
    • 14,990 Thanks
    Pixie5740
    • 6th Jul 17, 10:19 PM
    • 6th Jul 17, 10:19 PM
    Ok so here's the thing......... I'm a healthcare professional and earn a reasonable wage ish (I've worked b hard to get where I have). I'm a single mum, have two teens, 18yrs and 16yrs. I split from my ex husband 3yrs ago and ended up paying for all the bills which ended in a debt management plan . This effected my credit rating. I have pets too, so guess what???? Agents are wantinga credit rating of at least 620 and mine is 540 ............ this means if I pay for a credit check it's gonna be a no! It's hard enough finding a rental property who will accept pets and teens let alone the credit rating �� I'm able to pay all my bills and and my rent, I never miss it ! I work 2 jobs to ensure I make ends meet, I can't seem to find any private landlords that don't seem to use any form of credit check referencing! So gotta be out by 31st Aug, booked to see the council but holdnout much hope ������any suggestions apart from the obvious livingbon a park bench senario ���� thank you people
    Originally posted by Claire Harris
    Have you actually applied for any rental properties and been rejected or are you getting in a tizzy about something that has not even happened yet?

There's no such thing as a universal credit rating. Any credit score generated by a credit reference agency is just a marketing tool, no lenders can see the credit rating credit reference agencies generate never mind use it so letting agents sure as hell can't see it.

Lenders can view your credit history, note that's history not rating or score. Whilst the most letting agents can view are your public (court) credit records which only show CCJ and insolvency (DRO, IVA, bankruptcy).

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/loans/credit-rating-credit-score
    Last edited by Pixie5740; 06-07-2017 at 10:26 PM. Reason: typos
    Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen pounds nineteen and six, result happiness. Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds nought and six, result misery.
    • sevenhills
    • By sevenhills 6th Jul 17, 10:34 PM
    • 498 Posts
    • 191 Thanks
    sevenhills
    • 6th Jul 17, 10:34 PM
    • 6th Jul 17, 10:34 PM
    So gotta be out by 31st Aug, booked to see the council but holdnout much hope 😢😢😢any suggestions apart from the obvious livingbon a park bench senario 😂😊 thank you people
    That would help you get a council house, or you could buy a motorhome or a caravan in a friends drive
    • Claire Harris
    • By Claire Harris 6th Jul 17, 10:42 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Claire Harris
    • 6th Jul 17, 10:42 PM
    Thank you
    • 6th Jul 17, 10:42 PM
    Thanks for your reply but I have spoken to many agents all who say they won't accept anyone with a score less than 620. I'm def not going to pay an agent £75-120 to do a credit check just to get turned down as that is what I've been informed would happen. I have no CCjs or IVA it's just a low score and I have debts I'm paying off. The law regarding landlords and tenants has changed so much it's making it virtually impossible to rent anywhere 😩 And I can promise you I've done my research, I'm not getting in a tizzy but I'm sure you can appreciate with 6ish weeks to be out it doesn't leave me with many choices eh 😊
    • pmlindyloo
    • By pmlindyloo 6th Jul 17, 11:01 PM
    • 10,660 Posts
    • 12,547 Thanks
    pmlindyloo
    • 6th Jul 17, 11:01 PM
    • 6th Jul 17, 11:01 PM
    Why are you being asked to leave your current property?

Have you checked that the landlord has issued the correct notice etc etc?

If everything is OK in this respect then have you tried to find somewhere to rent other than using letting agents?

Look in your local newspapers, in shop windows, ask friends, colleagues if they know of someone who wants to rent their property. Letting agents can be sticklers for certain criteria but often others do not have such high demands.

Also remember that letting agents are acting for the landlord and it may be worth asking the LA if they would ask the landlord to accept you especially if you could provide 6 months rent up front ( borrow from family and pay back each month?)

Your council should be able to give you advice about your housing options. Some councils may have connections with private landlords.

Good luck!
    • aneary
    • By aneary 6th Jul 17, 11:03 PM
    • 500 Posts
    • 353 Thanks
    aneary
    • 6th Jul 17, 11:03 PM
    • 6th Jul 17, 11:03 PM
    Only lenders can see your credit history and not your score (which is meaningless anyway).

A LL is not a lender they can only see your public record so just CCJs, IVAs and bankruptcy. The LL's referencing is public records, a reference from your previous LL and your work confirming if you are permanent and your average wage.

Which ever agent told you that you have to have a score of x doesn't have a clue or more than likely trying to put off people with a poor credit history, but as I've said and others will say they can only see your public record nothing else.
    • worried jim
    • By worried jim 6th Jul 17, 11:06 PM
    • 8,547 Posts
    • 13,027 Thanks
    worried jim
    • 6th Jul 17, 11:06 PM
    • 6th Jul 17, 11:06 PM
    Only lenders can see your credit history and not your score (which is meaningless anyway).

A LL is not a lender they can only see your public record so just CCJs, IVAs and bankruptcy. The LL's referencing is public records, a reference from your previous LL and your work confirming if you are permanent and your average wage.

Which ever agent told you that you have to have a score of x doesn't have a clue or more than likely trying to put off people with a poor credit history, but as I've said and others will say they can only see your public record nothing else.
    Originally posted by aneary
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^this.

Sounds like you are getting blagged big time.
    "Only two things are infinite-the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the universe"
    Albert Einstein
    • aneary
    • By aneary 6th Jul 17, 11:13 PM
    • 500 Posts
    • 353 Thanks
    aneary
    • 6th Jul 17, 11:13 PM
    • 6th Jul 17, 11:13 PM
    Oh and just to ad my Experian score is very poor and my equifax is excellent.

So which score would the agent want??

Further proof bearing in mind the very poor Experian I have past an agents credit check with flying colours this week for a large two bedroom maisonette.
    • anselld
    • By anselld 7th Jul 17, 6:33 AM
    • 5,280 Posts
    • 4,812 Thanks
    anselld
    • 7th Jul 17, 6:33 AM
    • 7th Jul 17, 6:33 AM
    Thanks for your reply but I have spoken to many agents all who say they won't accept anyone with a score less than 620. I'm def not going to pay an agent £75-120 to do a credit check just to get turned down as that is what I've been informed would happen. I have no CCjs or IVA it's just a low score and I have debts I'm paying off. The law regarding landlords and tenants has changed so much it's making it virtually impossible to rent anywhere 😩 And I can promise you I've done my research, I'm not getting in a tizzy but I'm sure you can appreciate with 6ish weeks to be out it doesn't leave me with many choices eh 😊
    The law hasn't changed. Speaking to agents is not "research". As others have stated they can see only public records so your "score" is completely meaningless.
    • sheff6107
    • By sheff6107 7th Jul 17, 9:32 AM
    • 439 Posts
    • 293 Thanks
    sheff6107
    The only person who can see the three arbitrary, meaningless, different credit scores from the three main companies is you.

In post one you say you have a debt management plan and in post two you say you have no IVAs?

Have you looked at your Experian, Noddle and Clearscore records?
    • Guest101
    • By Guest101 7th Jul 17, 9:56 AM
    • 15,143 Posts
    • 14,757 Thanks
    Guest101
    Ok so here's the thing......... I'm a healthcare professional and earn a reasonable wage ish (I've worked b hard to get where I have). I'm a single mum, have two teens, 18yrs and 16yrs. I split from my ex husband 3yrs ago and ended up paying for all the bills which ended in a debt management plan . This effected my credit rating. I have pets too, so guess what???? Agents are wantinga credit rating of at least 620 and mine is 540 - Really they said that? Ok tell them I goive you a credit rating of 621.... it's just a made up number after all. and agents cant see either the number (ONLY YOU CAN) nor your debts. ............ this means if I pay for a credit check it's gonna be a no! - well you don't know that It's hard enough finding a rental property who will accept pets - dont tell them and teens - dont tell them let alone the credit rating 😡 I'm able to pay all my bills and and my rent, I never miss it ! I work 2 jobs to ensure I make ends meet - child maintenance? , I can't seem to find any private landlords that don't seem to use any form of credit check referencing! So gotta be out by 31st Aug, booked to see the council but holdnout much hope 😢😢😢any suggestions apart from the obvious livingbon a park bench senario 😂😊 thank you people
    Well why do you have to be out by Aug 31st?
    • Guest101
    • By Guest101 7th Jul 17, 9:57 AM
    • 15,143 Posts
    • 14,757 Thanks
    Guest101
    What law? - because I think you've been listening to people who literally haven't got a clue (and I include most agents in this)
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 7th Jul 17, 10:02 AM
    • 59,970 Posts
    • 350,574 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    Landlords get to pick/choose who their tenants are.
    Those using Estate Agents will tend to be at the pickier end of the scale.
    You need to find out who rents in your area to "people like you" - who doesn't go through an agent, who knows somebody.

Every area is different, there is no single answer for "where do I find landlords that rent privately without an agent", it's all "local knowledge" in a lot of areas, who you know. In other areas there are huge/well-known "social landlords" (that's the term they tend to use) with more properties than the Council have.

Google for "social landlords" in your area - see what comes up.
    Speak to the housing dept to see if they can give you a list of "social landlords" - they should be able to.
    Google for every housing association in your area you can find, get on all their books, no matter how pointless it seems.
    Speak to anybody/everybody asking "do you know landlords? who do you rent through? how did you get your place?"
    • aneary
    • By aneary 7th Jul 17, 10:11 AM
    • 500 Posts
    • 353 Thanks
    aneary
    Landlords get to pick/choose who their tenants are.
    Those using Estate Agents will tend to be at the pickier end of the scale.
    You need to find out who rents in your area to "people like you" - who doesn't go through an agent, who knows somebody.

Every area is different, there is no single answer for "where do I find landlords that rent privately without an agent", it's all "local knowledge" in a lot of areas, who you know. In other areas there are huge/well-known "social landlords" (that's the term they tend to use) with more properties than the Council have.

Google for "social landlords" in your area - see what comes up.
    Speak to the housing dept to see if they can give you a list of "social landlords" - they should be able to.
    Google for every housing association in your area you can find, get on all their books, no matter how pointless it seems.
    Speak to anybody/everybody asking "do you know landlords? who do you rent through? how did you get your place?"
    Originally posted by PasturesNew

Except the above doesn't matter she will have no issue renting through a LA if she earns the required amount I think the sum is divide your total gross income by 30 or gross monthly income divided by 2.5 that is the limit you can use for rent. Personally I could not afford that my limit is £300 more than my personal budget.
    • Guest101
    • By Guest101 7th Jul 17, 10:15 AM
    • 15,143 Posts
    • 14,757 Thanks
    Guest101
    Except the above doesn't matter she will have no issue renting through a LA if she earns the required amount I think the sum is divide your total gross income by 30 or gross monthly income divided by 2.5 that is the limit you can use for rent. Personally I could not afford that my limit is £300 more than my personal budget.

It's Monthly rent x 30 is the typical.

So £500 rent PCM = £15,000 salary
    £1,000 = £30,000
    etc.
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 7th Jul 17, 10:17 AM
    • 59,970 Posts
    • 350,574 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    Maybe she doesn't "earn enough" as her area's a bit pricey.
    Maybe they don't like any housing benefit top ups she gets.
    Maybe they are unsure about two part-time jobs -v- one full-time job as that presents a "riskier" outcome should one job cease.
    Maybe the local LLs simply prefer to rent to those without children, or without teen boys.
    Maybe most LLs prefer to not accommodate pets.

Landlords get to "pick and choose". If 2-3 people can pay the rent they will choose the "least objectionable" in their eyes as the winner.
    One has no pets. One has no children or pets.
    Who'd you pick?

It's not a "home", it's an "investment vehicle for maximum yield, with the least risk and hassle potential".
    • aneary
    • By aneary 7th Jul 17, 10:19 AM
    • 500 Posts
    • 353 Thanks
    aneary
    It's Monthly rent x 30 is the typical.

So £500 rent PCM = £15,000 salary
    £1,000 = £30,000
    etc.
    Originally posted by Guest101
    15,000/12 = 1250 (monthly salary)
    1250/2.5 = £500

Same result.
    • Guest101
    • By Guest101 7th Jul 17, 10:23 AM
    • 15,143 Posts
    • 14,757 Thanks
    Guest101
    15,000/12 = 1250 (monthly salary)
    1250/2.5 = £500

Same result.

Yep, just easier to calculate
    • aneary
    • By aneary 7th Jul 17, 10:25 AM
    • 500 Posts
    • 353 Thanks
    aneary
    Maybe she doesn't "earn enough" as her area's a bit pricey.
    Maybe they don't like any housing benefit top ups she gets.
    Maybe they are unsure about two part-time jobs -v- one full-time job as that presents a "riskier" outcome should one job cease.
    Maybe the local LLs simply prefer to rent to those without children, or without teen boys.
    Maybe most LLs prefer to not accommodate pets.

Landlords get to "pick and choose". If 2-3 people can pay the rent they will choose the "least objectionable" in their eyes as the winner.
    Who'd you pick?

It's not a "home", it's an "investment vehicle for maximum yield, with the least risk and hassle potential".
    The original query is that she cannot rent through LA due to a credit score!!

LL will let to people with children and pets and you don't have to shy away from LA to find these LL yes there will be less homes available for pets (not so much children) however they are available.

Go to rightmove the ads generally say whether they allow pets or not. Having pets does not mean you cannot rent via a LA.
    • Guest101
    • By Guest101 7th Jul 17, 10:26 AM
    • 15,143 Posts
    • 14,757 Thanks
    Guest101
    Maybe she doesn't "earn enough" as her area's a bit pricey. - Maybe she hasn't actually applied to find out?
    Maybe they don't like any housing benefit top ups she gets. - How would they know?
    Maybe they are unsure about two part-time jobs -v- one full-time job as that presents a "riskier" outcome should one job cease. - Literally employment law is exactly the same. so the risk is lessened, as losing 2 jobs, rather than one is less likely.
    Maybe the local LLs simply prefer to rent to those without children, or without teen boys. - Again how would they know?
    Maybe most LLs prefer to not accommodate pets. - Again how would they know?

Who'd you pick? - that's assuming there's 3 applicants

- Often it's not event that, but that's for another discussion
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,608Posts Today

7,609Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @KCMurdarasi: @MartinSLewis Only 2 fluently, but I can struggle by in another 5 or so. And ask the way to the toilet in about 10 - you d?

• Today's twitter poll: How many languages do you speak (inc Eng) with reasonable fluency (eg can have decent phone chat solely in that lang)

• RT @iiSteveJonesii: @MartinSLewis After watching you talk this morning about me burning £300 I got on a comparison site tonight & sure enou?

• Follow Martin