Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • NotGivingIn
    • By NotGivingIn 6th Jul 17, 9:44 PM
    • 8Posts
    • 4Thanks
    NotGivingIn
    Interest Charges while on DMP
    • 6th Jul 17, 9:44 PM
    Interest Charges while on DMP 6th Jul 17 at 9:44 PM
    My question relates to the type of interest that creditors are allowed to charge to an account on a DMP. While most creditors have stopped charging interest, 2 have not – but they both charge it very differently.
    One charges only on the capital, and sends a statement every 6 months showing that the capital has reduced by the payments sent, but advising the interest accrued. It should be noted they bought the debt from the original creditor then successfully applied for a charging order and the judge agreed they could charge interest.

However, the other is charging compound interest – adding interest every month, then calculating the next month’s interest on that higher balance. If no interest had been added, thus debt would be cleared in 5 months, but is actually likely to take at least another 4 years instead.

Are there any rules at all to govern how interest is charged when a creditor refuses to stop it? My DMP provider (Stepchange) has been unsuccessful in persuading them to stop, and do not know the answer to this question. I am hoping there is some rule that I can quote in a last ditch attempt to get them to re-evaluate their charges. If I cannot get them to wipe it out, I would at least like them to re-calculate and maybe stop adding any more going forward. If it affects the answer, this debt came from a storecard with a major high street retailer.
    working my way to financial freedom
Page 1
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 7th Jul 17, 9:19 AM
    • 12,402 Posts
    • 11,816 Thanks
    sourcrates
    • 7th Jul 17, 9:19 AM
    • 7th Jul 17, 9:19 AM
    No rules at all I'm afraid.

Technically you have broken the terms of your agreement so the lifting of interest charges is entirely at the creditors discretion.

You could try and argue your case on the balance of fairness and the fact that they are treating you the same as someone who refuses to pay.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Credit File And Ratings, and
    Bankruptcy And Living With It, boards. "I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly".
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

For free debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, or, CAB.
    For Legal advice see : http://legalbeagles.info/
  • National Debtline
    • 7th Jul 17, 11:21 AM
    • 7th Jul 17, 11:21 AM
    Hi there,

My question relates to the type of interest that creditors are allowed to charge to an account on a DMP. While most creditors have stopped charging interest, 2 have not – but they both charge it very differently.
    One charges only on the capital, and sends a statement every 6 months showing that the capital has reduced by the payments sent, but advising the interest accrued. It should be noted they bought the debt from the original creditor then successfully applied for a charging order and the judge agreed they could charge interest.
    Originally posted by NotGivingIn

This is actually a bit more complicated than it first appears. The creditor would've needed to outline in the original agreement, and the claim form about claiming post judgement interest. If the CCJ was obtained after October 2008 then the creditor would need to send notifications every 6 months under Section 130A of the consumer credit act to claim interest for that period (which it sounds like they are doing).

The claimant would need to sue you separately for this interest, it is not 'added' to the charge as such but becomes a separate thing they can claim. And, I should make you aware, that as far as we are aware, no creditor has ever done this. This is worth noting because you may be able to apply to get the charge removed quicker than you think.

Laura
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
    • NotGivingIn
    • By NotGivingIn 7th Jul 17, 10:26 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    NotGivingIn
    • 7th Jul 17, 10:26 PM
    • 7th Jul 17, 10:26 PM
    Hi Laura, Thank you for that information, it is news to me and something I will raise closer to the end date for that one. However, my query was actually based on the other creditor who are charging the interest on a compound basis - ie they are charging interest on interest previously added, month after month. I was hoping that there would be some rule or even a guideline that I can quote in my next letter asking them to be fair. Simply writing regularly and being polite has not moved their stance, nor has pointing out that if they had stopped interest they would soon be able to get me off their books and stop sending me monthly statements through the post. Any reference or precedent that I can include would be a help please.
    working my way to financial freedom
  • National Debtline
    • 11th Jul 17, 12:42 PM
    • 11th Jul 17, 12:42 PM
    Hello again,

I am afraid the creditor is able to add interest and charges as outlined in the terms and conditions of agreement, and if that permits the interest to be added as you have described then I am afraid they are not doing anything they shouldn't be.

All you can do is complain and try quoting some sections of the FCA Consumer Credit Sourcebook (CONC) to them in a hope they will reconsider their current decision. These sections may help you: -

Dealing fairly with customers in arrears or default

CONC 7.3.2 G 01/04/2014

When dealing with customers in default or in arrears difficulties a firm should pay due regard to its obligations under Principle 6 (Customers’ interests) to treat its customers fairly.

[Note: paragraphs 7.12 of ILG and 2.2 of DCG]

CONC 7.3.5 G 01/04/2014

Examples of treating a customer with forbearance would include the firm doing one or more of the following, as may be relevant in the circumstances:
    (1) considering suspending, reducing, waiving or cancelling any further interest or charges (for example, when a customer provides evidence of financial difficulties and is unable to meet repayments as they fall due or is only able to make token repayments, where in either case the level of debt would continue to rise if interest and charges continue to be applied);

Best of luck,
    Laura
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

107Posts Today

1,571Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I believe I can boldly go where no twitter poll has gone before https://t.co/HA0jC92gAK

• OK I'm wilting to public pressure and there will be a star trek captain's poll at some point next week

• I can get that. My order is 1. Picard 2. Janeway 3. Kirk. Too early to say where Lorca will end up (or would you? https://t.co/kawtCOe9RA

• Follow Martin