Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • boatman
    • By boatman 6th Jul 17, 9:40 PM
    • 3,369Posts
    • 2,354Thanks
    boatman
    Some people get rubbish speeds because the router is not upright!!
    • 6th Jul 17, 9:40 PM
    Some people get rubbish speeds because the router is not upright!! 6th Jul 17 at 9:40 PM
    Virgin CEO on Watchdog has just blamed their rubbish speeds in the evening on people not standing their router upright!!!???
    I kid you not....

I've heard some rubbish in my time but that really is scraping the barrel.
    Last edited by boatman; 06-07-2017 at 9:42 PM. Reason: ll
Page 2
    • AlecEiffel
    • By AlecEiffel 9th Jul 17, 6:16 PM
    • 859 Posts
    • 292 Thanks
    AlecEiffel
    My router is stood upright and earlier today I got a super fast 8kbps (yes kb not mb). Been having sporadic problems for months but this was a new low!!
    • kwikbreaks
    • By kwikbreaks 9th Jul 17, 9:05 PM
    • 8,836 Posts
    • 4,415 Thanks
    kwikbreaks
    Have you called them? It might be a power level problem. As well as the over utilisation problems I had with them once when I investigated a speed problem I found that my power level was way out. I then remembered seing somebody I initially thought was a tramp until I spotted a VM logo on his coat.I'm guessing he was installing a new customer and naffed my connection up when he did so. That got fixed reasonably quickly when I reported it.
    • mongoose2009
    • By mongoose2009 12th Jul 17, 5:43 PM
    • 130 Posts
    • 46 Thanks
    mongoose2009
    unless you test with a LAN cable i call BS on a lot of these tests

im not defending VM congestions issues but a lot of people will be using old kit with has only 54 meg wifi anyway
    • boatman
    • By boatman 13th Jul 17, 6:27 PM
    • 3,369 Posts
    • 2,354 Thanks
    boatman
    unless you test with a LAN cable i call BS on a lot of these tests

im not defending VM congestions issues but a lot of people will be using old kit which has only 54 meg wifi anyway
    Originally posted by mongoose2009
    If you are on a 200mbps package and you get 8kbps, I think there are bigger problems than 54 meg wifi..
    • kwikbreaks
    • By kwikbreaks 13th Jul 17, 8:18 PM
    • 8,836 Posts
    • 4,415 Thanks
    kwikbreaks
    Plus VM provide the Superhub for 200Mbps packages and that isn't 54g which actually only delivers just north of 20Mbps. - it's b,g,n on 2.4GHz and 802.11ac on 5GHz

VM's Superhubs never were great on WiFi but they'd need to be defectrive to deliver some of the reported speeds.

I'll say again for the upmpteenth time - VM accepted that many of the reported problems were down to over utilisation. By the time the Watchdog was aired they had even upgraded each and every one of the areas those on the show had complained about. I don't think they had a team turning routers through 90 degrees .

From personal experience this issue is common on VM and has been for years - I had 2 prolonged periods of poor performance in the 2 or 3 years I was with them. By poor I wasn't impressed with regular sub 10Mbps from a 50Mbps product/
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,552Posts Today

4,280Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin