Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Chamellow
    • By Chamellow 6th Jul 17, 9:04 PM
    • 6Posts
    • 1Thanks
    Chamellow
    £20k EDF bill out of the blue! They haven't taken a reading since 2013
    • 6th Jul 17, 9:04 PM
    £20k EDF bill out of the blue! They haven't taken a reading since 2013 6th Jul 17 at 9:04 PM
    Hoping someone can help, EDF attempted to take £20k as their direct debit, after phone calls back and forth, and providing a meter reading I was shocked to find it wasn't a mistake, and that the last reading they took was in 2013, they had estimated since, and estimated incorrectly.

They now want £20,000 asap. They are willing to set up a payment plan of 25% then the rest over 12 months.
    They will not reduce the bill at all, or take any responsibility for the bill being large and unexpected.

Even though I'm sure we set up a new contract before in Sept last year, and I was told I was now on a really good deal/tariff, they are saying yes I was put on a new deal in Sept, but actually its not a good deal at all, and they cannot backdate any deal on the rate either, so I am paying 15.41 ppu for this whole bill backdating 4yrs, and that I HAVE to sign up to a new RECOVERY deal/tariff until the debt is paid off, which increases my ppu to 15.67 for all future usage too.

The guy in billing seemed to think I could negotiate a deal/tariff with the instalments team, which would bring the bill down dramatically.
    I was also told by billing that I should have been contacted by a Higher Billing Department for a large bill like this, but checking the system that hasn't been done.

I have paid £2k over the phone, as they pretty much demanded that instantly, but want the rest of the 25% by Friday.

I need to know if there is any help available, or if they are right in everything, and I have no way of reducing that bill, and that I have to go onto their recovery tariff, which seems to be very high unit rate.

This is a Small Business, seasonal selling sweets & holiday gifts. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, as the way things are going myself and my staff will be out of a job as this just isn't possible to do at such short notice.

Many thanks,
Page 2
    • Robin9
    • By Robin9 8th Jul 17, 2:57 PM
    • 1,945 Posts
    • 1,259 Thanks
    Robin9
    I know when AMR was introduced in the 1990's a dedicated phone line was used but i would presume they use the same comms as Smart.

I've got 4 business supplies using Smart.

N
    • poppellerant
    • By poppellerant 8th Jul 17, 3:02 PM
    • 1,006 Posts
    • 520 Thanks
    poppellerant
    What sort of meter is installed at the property?

Does the meter serial match with the serial shown on the bill?

When did you last provide EDF with a meter reading?

Does the bill show an actual or estimated meter reading? If it shows an actual meter reading, who checked this, when and how accurate does it seem to be with your historic usage?
    • MothballsWallet
    • By MothballsWallet 8th Jul 17, 3:54 PM
    • 11,557 Posts
    • 15,152 Thanks
    MothballsWallet
    I know when AMR was introduced in the 1990's a dedicated phone line was used but i would presume they use the same comms as Smart.

I've got 4 business supplies using Smart.

N
    Originally posted by Robin9
    You could have business premises with an AMR meter but it's not (technically) a Smart meter - although it will count towards the supplier's target obligations.
    Always ask yourself one question: What would Gibbs do?
    Married to an immigrant.
    Even my PC is nicknamed "GIBBS".
    • Carrot007
    • By Carrot007 8th Jul 17, 4:27 PM
    • 736 Posts
    • 589 Thanks
    Carrot007
    Isn't AMR Smart by another name ?
    Originally posted by Robin9
    It more comparible to a HH meter in that it does not have a IHD.

But you can buy suppliers wonderful analysis packages and stuff if you like!

I think they stopped installing AMR on non PC 5-8 after smart came in thinking they would be taken up by smart though.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,125Posts Today

6,578Users online

Martin's Twitter