Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • CLDM98
    • By CLDM98 6th Jul 17, 9:04 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    CLDM98
    Used Car Faults
    • 6th Jul 17, 9:04 PM
    Used Car Faults 6th Jul 17 at 9:04 PM
    Hi,
    I bought a used Ford Fiesta 07 plate Zetec Climate about a week ago. Thought it best to have a check done on it at my local garage to make sure all in working order. They turned up a number of issues most of which were minor, the serious problem was there appeared to be a small brake fluid leak around a clip, which the garage have tightened and it seems to have stopped. The other issue is that the aircon isn't working. The car was advertised as having aircon and didn't mention any faults. Just wondering what to do next, was quoted £50 to regas aircon and put in dye to check for leaks but have had no work done yet. Car is supposed to have three month warranty.
    Thanks
    Last edited by CLDM98; 06-07-2017 at 9:33 PM.
Page 2
    • sjw3915
    • By sjw3915 9th Jul 17, 9:00 AM
    • 35 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    sjw3915
    Im my case the car was described as having air con. It doesn't. So the car was sold not as described.THis is black and white.
    • sjw3915
    • By sjw3915 9th Jul 17, 9:10 AM
    • 35 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    sjw3915
    From a trader the car should...
    meet any description given to you when you were buying it (whether in the ad or in discussions prior to sale) (Which website)
    Obviously if you have a copy of the ad that would help. If it was advertised as having air con but doesn't it's the seller's responsibility to sort.
    • sjw3915
    • By sjw3915 9th Jul 17, 9:27 AM
    • 35 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    sjw3915
    I don't know how old the cars you sold were but if you were selling cars that were a few years old for market price, then it would reasonably be assumed that the air con was working. As far as I can see, the 'buyer beware' scenario would be more for private sales where the seller wasn't an expert.

I know buyers have got more rights uner the 2015 act and maybe I'm hoping I'm right as I want my air con fixed! When I test drove the the guy said the air con would take time to cool down as the car had been standing for a while. So I thought nothing of it. (I know!!)
    Anyway I've e mailed Citizens Advice for a difinitive answer- if there is one. I'll post the reply here
    • bobbymotors
    • By bobbymotors 9th Jul 17, 4:39 PM
    • 434 Posts
    • 571 Thanks
    bobbymotors
    If the ad said the car ha aircon then it should work. End of story.
    • Geoff1963
    • By Geoff1963 9th Jul 17, 9:41 PM
    • 633 Posts
    • 396 Thanks
    Geoff1963
    Many features can only be checked in specific conditions of weather or road.
    A/C won't work at all in very cold weather ; and in cool weather, poor A/C might seem good enough.

I once bought a car and asked for,at least 1/4 of a tank of fuel. On collection, the seller said they forgot, so gave me the money instead. When I added the fuel, the gauge didn't move off empty.
    • AndyMc.....
    • By AndyMc..... 9th Jul 17, 9:51 PM
    • 733 Posts
    • 555 Thanks
    AndyMc.....
    Many features can only be checked in specific conditions of weather or road.
    A/C won't work at all in very cold weather ; and in cool weather, poor A/C might seem good enough.

I once bought a car and asked for,at least 1/4 of a tank of fuel.
    On collection, the seller said they forgot, so gave me the money instead. When I added the fuel, the gauge didn't move off empty.
    Originally posted by Geoff1963

You're a tough negotiator.
    • sjw3915
    • By sjw3915 11th Jul 17, 10:03 PM
    • 35 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    sjw3915
    It's very black and white. I've had a reply from the Citizens Advice Consumer Service. The car sold by a trader should be 'free from fault.'
    It doesn't matter even if there was no mention of air con in the advert (as one post says) The customer only has to prove there is a fault ie the air con isn't working and that they haven't damaged it by misuse ie smashing the controls. If it's before 30 days you're also entitled to a full refund
    • sjw3915
    • By sjw3915 11th Jul 17, 10:06 PM
    • 35 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    sjw3915
    I'll post their full reply if anyone would find that helpful. Also If you complain of a fault within a 30 day period you are entitled to a full refund. If you want a repair, then report it asap as the 30 day rule is then paused until the trader fixes the problem. My advice is to report the problem in writing asap
    • arcon5
    • By arcon5 12th Jul 17, 7:11 AM
    • 12,993 Posts
    • 8,223 Thanks
    arcon5
    It's very black and white. I've had a reply from the Citizens Advice Consumer Service. The car sold by a trader should be 'free from fault.'
    It doesn't matter even if there was no mention of air con in the advert (as one post says) The customer only has to prove there is a fault ie the air con isn't working and that they haven't damaged it by misuse ie smashing the controls. If it's before 30 days you're also entitled to a full refund
    Originally posted by sjw3915
    Wrong. To specifically excludes wear and tear and also if goods aren't described as having features don't just assume it has it or its working.
    It's NOT as black and white man's that at all.

You have a case, but don't start assuming young age right fornevery little bit on a used car
    • sjw3915
    • By sjw3915 18th Jul 17, 11:06 PM
    • 35 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    sjw3915
    Consumer rights act 2015. Black and white. Car must be 'fault free' as defined by Citizens Advice. If you bought a car from a trader (not private) for market value then, unless the fault was described, the trader is responsible for it. If for instance you bought a car and reported the air con as faulty the next day, provided you haven't smashed the controls, the trader is 100 percent responsible. As a customer you also have an additional right to a full refund within 30 days.
    • sjw3915
    • By sjw3915 18th Jul 17, 11:16 PM
    • 35 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    sjw3915
    Wear and tear would cover things like scratches to bodywork or tyres and even things like cambelts, but not air con. This even applies to second hand cars when sold by traders. The only possible exception would be if you paid considerably less than market value for a car. Citizens Advice were very clear in stating that a second hand car as sold by a trader must be sold fault free unless the fault is described.
    • arcon5
    • By arcon5 19th Jul 17, 9:11 AM
    • 12,993 Posts
    • 8,223 Thanks
    arcon5
    Consumer rights act 2015. Black and white. Car must be 'fault free' as defined by Citizens Advice. If you bought a car from a trader (not private) for market value then, unless the fault was described, the trader is responsible for it. If for instance you bought a car and reported the air con as faulty the next day, provided you haven't smashed the controls, the trader is 100 percent responsible. As a customer you also have an additional right to a full refund within 30 days.
    Originally posted by sjw3915
    Only if it was advertised as having extra features like Aircon.
    All components are subject to wear and tear. If you buy a ten your old car for example not advertised as having air con then don't expect anything
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,708Posts Today

7,615Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin