Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Carl31
    • By Carl31 6th Jul 17, 8:26 PM
    • 1,968Posts
    • 4,393Thanks
    Carl31
    Teenager and trainers
    • 6th Jul 17, 8:26 PM
    Teenager and trainers 6th Jul 17 at 8:26 PM
    Would you spend 120 quid on a pair of trainers for a 15 year old daughter?

Opinions on such a purchase greatly received...
Page 2
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 30th Jul 17, 5:28 PM
    • 29,967 Posts
    • 18,974 Thanks
    DCFC79
    Not blinkin likely.

I also wouldn't spend that amount on a pair of trainers or shoes for myself, ones at £50 are perfectly fine.
    Can people stop loaning money/being a guarator to family/friends, it rarely ends well and you lose out as your money is gone or you get shafted with being a guarantor.
    • Fireflyaway
    • By Fireflyaway 7th Aug 17, 1:54 PM
    • 1,171 Posts
    • 1,204 Thanks
    Fireflyaway
    I remember having some ' hi tec' trainers when at school! Some people laughed but fortunately I couldn't have cared less. They were comfy so that was all that mattered!
    I've paid £60 for my child's trainers and to me that's pushing the limit. They have had loads of wear and are really comfy so I think its reasonable. If my child wanted £100 trainers I'd probably tell them they have to contribute something towards them. At 15 they need to learn the value of things and make sensible choices. Since we started giving our 11 year old pocket money about 3 years back the type of purchases made from it have been very considered. He will look for bargains and if not 100% sure, wait and have a think about it. He doesn't want to be wasteful when its coming from his pocket.
    • borkid
    • By borkid 7th Aug 17, 2:09 PM
    • 1,494 Posts
    • 2,798 Thanks
    borkid
    When my daughter was about 12 she kept wanting more out of school clothes. It was getting ridiculous so we agreed that she could have an allowance ie how much we could afford/ would normally spend on her clothes, and we would buy all school related clothing uniform/ shoes/ sports kit etc. After the first couple of weeks she didn't 'need' anymore and is now excellent at budgeting.

We did the same thing for my son , he wanted all the designer things but he saved for ages to buy one item but he did look after it. Even now he's really fussy with his things, just a few quality pieces that he really looks after.

They are both adults now and I think that having to budget like that has helped them manage their finances..
    • Kuznec
    • By Kuznec 6th Sep 17, 8:08 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    Kuznec
    The child is already old enough to earn this money. And when she earns them, let's see if she wants to spend them so quickly.
    • seven-day-weekend
    • By seven-day-weekend 6th Sep 17, 9:07 PM
    • 29,366 Posts
    • 54,827 Thanks
    seven-day-weekend
    Would you spend 120 quid on a pair of trainers for a 15 year old daughter?

Opinions on such a purchase greatly received...
    Originally posted by Carl31
    Short answer. No.
    To love someone is to learn the song in their heart and to sing it to them when they have forgotten it
    'I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen. Not only because I see it, but because I see everything by it': C.S. Lewis
    St. Augustine — 'In essentials, unity; in non-essentials, liberty; in all things, charity.'
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

572Posts Today

4,945Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin