Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • decbel
    • By decbel 6th Jul 17, 8:25 PM
    • 1,059Posts
    • 1,059Thanks
    decbel
    Which computer did you have in the early eighties
    • 6th Jul 17, 8:25 PM
    Which computer did you have in the early eighties 6th Jul 17 at 8:25 PM
    Just been watching this about the fight between various computer manufactures during the boom of the early to mid eighties.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXBxV6-zamM&t=1s

Micro men

Heady days. For those who were around which one/ones did you have?

In my case I got a commodore 64 for Christmas. Still got it.

For most it was a toss up between the Sinclair Spectrum 48k and the commodore 64.

Your parents would have been considered wealthy if you got a BBC micro.
Page 3
    • Bobbybun
    • By Bobbybun 8th Jul 17, 3:49 PM
    • 18 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    Bobbybun
    My brother had a Commodore Vic 20. He spent hours programming it.

I was the annoying younger sister hanging about to play the games.
    I played Pac man until I was the ultimate expert. Blitz which is such a simple concept but so addictive and Perils of Willy. Our folks really stretched themselves financially to afford the computer that Christmas.
    • ScarletMarble
    • By ScarletMarble 9th Jul 17, 9:07 AM
    • 6,958 Posts
    • 12,718 Thanks
    ScarletMarble
    My Dad's first company laptop was a Toshiba - unsure of the model, but like this

I remember typing some homework on it - and it gave me a headache from looking at the orange.
    • sillyvixen
    • By sillyvixen 9th Jul 17, 10:39 PM
    • 2,952 Posts
    • 4,463 Thanks
    sillyvixen
    I had a vic 20,which at the time I thought was the dogs b******s,. But had all the processing power of a calculator
    Originally posted by Jorell00
    We got one of those 2nd hand, it came with a cartridge for a game called 'voodo castle' which was the only thing it was use full for and soon became a family obsession.

Happy days.
    Dogs return to eat their vomit, just as fools repeat their foolishness. There is no more hope for a fool than for someone who says, "i am really clever!"
    • sillyvixen
    • By sillyvixen 9th Jul 17, 11:07 PM
    • 2,952 Posts
    • 4,463 Thanks
    sillyvixen
    After the Vic 20, my brother had a spectrum (not sure which one but it had a built in data casset) still very basic but did more.
    In 1988 I started my first job, one of the questions I was asked at the interview was if I had ever used a computer, I said yes, and found myself working with a computer with a proper screen (not a tv), a scary tower processor, and a mouse and thinking 'I am out of my comfort zone here'.
    Dogs return to eat their vomit, just as fools repeat their foolishness. There is no more hope for a fool than for someone who says, "i am really clever!"
    • Lorian
    • By Lorian 9th Jul 17, 11:33 PM
    • 4,024 Posts
    • 2,180 Thanks
    Lorian
    Early eighties?

I have an 8K Commodore Pet from '79 if that counts (chicklet keyboard)

I also have a much loved Research Machines Ltd 380Z :-)
    • Lorian
    • By Lorian 9th Jul 17, 11:37 PM
    • 4,024 Posts
    • 2,180 Thanks
    Lorian
    We got one of those 2nd hand, it came with a cartridge for a game called 'voodo castle' which was the only thing it was use full for and soon became a family obsession.

Happy days.
    Originally posted by sillyvixen
    I still have that. IIRC there were about 8 adventure cartridges, and voodoo castle was amongst the better ones.
    • dontone
    • By dontone 10th Jul 17, 8:18 AM
    • 3,702 Posts
    • 10,757 Thanks
    dontone
    Early eighties?

I have an 8K Commodore Pet from '79 if that counts (chicklet keyboard)

Originally posted by Lorian
    I have never heard of one of those till now. Just looked it up. Compact, wasn't it?
    Btw, lots of VIC20 owners. I remember that the V20 & C16 were the ones that you could buy the same games for. In the cover of the game sleeve was a little label that said 'C16 & V20' lol. I'm loving all this nostalgia.
    BEST EVER WINS WON IN ORDER (so far) = Sony Camcorder, 32" lcd telly, micro ipod hifi, Ipod Nano, Playstation 3, Andrex Jackpup, Holiday to USA, nintendo wii, Liverpool vs Everton tickets, £250 Reward Your thirst, £500 Pepsi, p&o rotterdam trip, perfume hamper, Dr Who stamp set, steam cleaner.

comping = nowt more thrillin' than winnin'
    • onomatopoeia99
    • By onomatopoeia99 10th Jul 17, 8:40 AM
    • 3,213 Posts
    • 7,135 Thanks
    onomatopoeia99
    Originally posted by Lorian
    My school had one of them, it was on a trolley that got wheeled around and you had to start it with a key! I only got to use it a couple of times as you had to book time on it at break, then I got my own ZX81.
    INTP, nerd, libertarian and scifi geek.
    Home is where my books are.
    • Sheel
    • By Sheel 16th Jul 17, 12:51 PM
    • 44,864 Posts
    • 40,224 Thanks
    Sheel
    We had a Commodore 64 for our daughters. Don't think I ever did anything on it. I just remember them saying how long it took to load up.

We also had one of THESE. I say had, but i've still got it. I keep meaning to dig it out and see if it still works.
    JAMMF
    • MothballsWallet
    • By MothballsWallet 16th Jul 17, 5:06 PM
    • 11,051 Posts
    • 14,503 Thanks
    MothballsWallet
    My Dad's first company laptop was a Toshiba - unsure of the model, but like this

I remember typing some homework on it - and it gave me a headache from looking at the orange.
    Originally posted by ScarletMarble
    Ooh! An Iomega Zip drive - I've still got my 100MB parallel port and 250MB USB ones. I haven't tried them with my Windows 7 machine because, well, 100MB & 250MB are pretty inconsequential nowadays.
    Always ask yourself one question: What would Gibbs do?
    Married to an immigrant.
    • MothballsWallet
    • By MothballsWallet 16th Jul 17, 5:07 PM
    • 11,051 Posts
    • 14,503 Thanks
    MothballsWallet
    We had a Commodore 64 for our daughters. Don't think I ever did anything on it. I just remember them saying how long it took to load up.

We also had one of THESE. I say had, but i've still got it. I keep meaning to dig it out and see if it still works.
    Originally posted by Sheel
    I've still got mine as well
    Always ask yourself one question: What would Gibbs do?
    Married to an immigrant.
    • jackieb
    • By jackieb 16th Jul 17, 5:31 PM
    • 26,978 Posts
    • 78,773 Thanks
    jackieb
    My brother had a Commodore Vic 20. He spent hours programming it.

I was the annoying younger sister hanging about to play the games.
    I played Pac man until I was the ultimate expert. Blitz which is such a simple concept but so addictive and Perils of Willy. Our folks really stretched themselves financially to afford the computer that Christmas.
    Originally posted by Bobbybun
    My brother had a Commodore 64. The 14'' b&w kitchen portable tv was its monitor He got me to type in pages of programme just so we could see a stick man walk across the screen, stuff like that
    He had one game I used to play but I can't remember its name. I used to be locked in a room and try to get a key to get out. I never once got out of that room. Computers baffled me, and mostly they still do. They've just got more user friendly!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

404Posts Today

5,844Users online

Martin's Twitter