Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • decbel
    • By decbel 6th Jul 17, 8:25 PM
    • 964Posts
    • 935Thanks
    decbel
    Which computer did you have in the early eighties
    • 6th Jul 17, 8:25 PM
    Which computer did you have in the early eighties 6th Jul 17 at 8:25 PM
    Just been watching this about the fight between various computer manufactures during the boom of the early to mid eighties.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXBxV6-zamM&t=1s

Micro men

Heady days. For those who were around which one/ones did you have?

In my case I got a commodore 64 for Christmas. Still got it.

For most it was a toss up between the Sinclair Spectrum 48k and the commodore 64.

Your parents would have been considered wealthy if you got a BBC micro.
Page 2
    • onlyroz
    • By onlyroz 6th Jul 17, 11:55 PM
    • 13,216 Posts
    • 25,179 Thanks
    onlyroz
    I was born in 1981 and my first computer was the BBC B around 1986/7. A friend's brother and mum copied most of the games I played.

I remember Chuckie Egg, Croaker, Castle Quest, Repton, Asteroid Belt, JCB Digger, Barrage, Cowboy Shootout, Danger UXB among those I played to death.

I did buy the program books where you typed anything from 20-5000 lines to create a program.
    Originally posted by ScarletMarble
    I played Chuckie Egg. There was also Killer Gorilla, which was a blatant rip-off of Donkey Kong, and Palace of Magic, and Clogger.
    • RichardD1970
    • By RichardD1970 7th Jul 17, 12:22 AM
    • 2,523 Posts
    • 3,658 Thanks
    RichardD1970
    Do any of you still have those machines?

I've still got my commodore 64 and a suitcase full of games.

Mind you, haven't tried it for 20 years.
    Originally posted by decbel
    Oric, no idea what happened to that. Speccy is, I think, still in parents loft, needs new keyboard underlay.

Amiga 500 sold to help finance 1200, which has quite recently been disposed of by order of the wife as I hoard too much junk
    • donnajunkie
    • By donnajunkie 7th Jul 17, 12:59 AM
    • 25,897 Posts
    • 13,703 Thanks
    donnajunkie
    Started with a spectrum 128k +2. It was a heap of junk. Before that we had had an Atari console with asteroids and before that had one with pong. I think the console brand was called grandstand but not sure.
    • zagubov
    • By zagubov 7th Jul 17, 1:14 AM
    • 14,493 Posts
    • 124,658 Thanks
    zagubov
    Had to use some bbc micros which I think were acorn protons. We useed to download computer games from radio 4 onto cassettes late at night when they broadcast their "take-away" from the "chip-shop"

We were visited by our computing department and asked why we weren't using the various VAX computers in our uni. We couldn't figure how to integrate them into our research. That problem persisted for many years.
    There is no honour to be had in not knowing a thing that can be known - Danny Baker
    • glennevis
    • By glennevis 7th Jul 17, 1:26 AM
    • 90 Posts
    • 66 Thanks
    glennevis
    Kept my first computer, Sinclair ZX81 and accessories until recently when I moved house and sold it on eBay for over £40!
    Last edited by glennevis; 07-07-2017 at 1:30 AM.
    • Jorell00
    • By Jorell00 7th Jul 17, 2:47 AM
    • 71 Posts
    • 40 Thanks
    Jorell00
    I had a vic 20,which at the time I thought was the dogs b******s,. But had all the processing power of a calculator
    • uberalles
    • By uberalles 7th Jul 17, 5:20 AM
    • 3,986 Posts
    • 8,160 Thanks
    uberalles
    Still got my ZX81, Sinclair Spectrum and Commodore Amiga although we have just sold our house and my wife is on the war charge.
    Two class of people in the UK. Those that always pay and those that are happy to sit back, relax and let others pay. I know which I am, I also know I'm in the minority.
    He knows there's fewer more distressing sights than that of an British man in a baseball cap.
    I got so tired of concluding that there's nothing for us to conclude.....
    • onomatopoeia99
    • By onomatopoeia99 7th Jul 17, 8:22 AM
    • 3,073 Posts
    • 6,816 Thanks
    onomatopoeia99
    ZX81 when I was 12, taught myself BASIC then sold that to part fund a ZX Spectrum after they were announced, sold that to part fund a BBC Model B, which is still in the loft. Taught myself assembly language for the 6502 processor on that one when I was about 14 or 15. Still write assembly language to this day (x86 / x64) for my work, over 30 years on.

Bought an Acorn Archimedes A310 (the first one in that series) shortly after they were announced which I used to do a lot of my university work that didn't need access to the department mainframes. It used to run PC software faster than a PC, under some PC emulation software, and C programs I compiled on it ran faster than on the very expensive SUN SPARC workstations our lecturers had. After that it was PCs as IBM opening the all the technical information made them the de facto standard.
    INTP, nerd, libertarian and scifi geek.
    Home is where my books are.
    • colinw
    • By colinw 7th Jul 17, 9:43 AM
    • 49,335 Posts
    • 134,939 Thanks
    colinw
    It was a ZX Spectrum which I actually have under my desk here.....
    • Missli
    • By Missli 7th Jul 17, 10:40 AM
    • 7,058 Posts
    • 16,606 Thanks
    Missli
    Acorn Electron
    • Murphybear
    • By Murphybear 7th Jul 17, 6:15 PM
    • 3,090 Posts
    • 6,367 Thanks
    Murphybear
    I did a bit of computer programming as part of my degree in the early 70s. The actual mainframe was part of Imperial College just down the road. We used punch cards, those were the days
    • MothballsWallet
    • By MothballsWallet 7th Jul 17, 6:27 PM
    • 10,956 Posts
    • 14,241 Thanks
    MothballsWallet
    I started with a Sinclair ZX81, my parents bought me a 32K memory pack as a present for doing well at school.

I then moved on to an Acorn Electron which I kept until the 90's. I also bought a joystick interface for it which worked with Atari joysticks and most games without any configuration required.
    Last edited by MothballsWallet; 07-07-2017 at 6:30 PM.
    Always ask yourself one question: What would Gibbs do?
    Married to an immigrant.
    • Hoochypooch
    • By Hoochypooch 7th Jul 17, 6:40 PM
    • 909 Posts
    • 691 Thanks
    Hoochypooch
    Just been watching this about the fight between various computer manufactures during the boom of the early to mid eighties.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXBxV6-zamM&t=1s

Micro men

Heady days. For those who were around which one/ones did you have?

In my case I got a commodore 64 for Christmas. Still got it.

For most it was a toss up between the Sinclair Spectrum 48k and the commodore 64.

Your parents would have been considered wealthy if you got a BBC micro.
    Originally posted by decbel

I spotted the guy from The office pretty quickly but I only realized Sir Clive was the guy form Pointless, Alexandra Armstrong, when I check to see the name of the guy form the office.

Good disguise.
    *** Lord Chief Justice Hoochypooch ***
    • The Last Username
    • By The Last Username 7th Jul 17, 6:43 PM
    • 3,088 Posts
    • 6,915 Thanks
    The Last Username
    I didn't have a computer of my own until the early 90's for uni - and that was an IBM AT with a horrid tiny green screen & dot matrix ribbon printer.
    I moved from that to building my own, the first being IIRC an AMD K7-based setup - and the prices paid then were hair-raising.

The best I did earlier than that was having a "go" with friends who had Spectrums or Commadores but I still prefer to build my own systems now.
    "I'm not afraid of dying. I just don't want to be there when it happens."
    Spike Milligan
    • Owain Moneysaver
    • By Owain Moneysaver 7th Jul 17, 9:03 PM
    • 7,305 Posts
    • 7,691 Thanks
    Owain Moneysaver
    I did a bit of computer programming as part of my degree in the early 70s. The actual mainframe was part of Imperial College just down the road. We used punch cards, those were the days
    Originally posted by Murphybear
    I remember using punch cards in 1987!
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
    • gonebust
    • By gonebust 7th Jul 17, 10:11 PM
    • 169 Posts
    • 605 Thanks
    gonebust
    I remember using punch cards in 1987!
    Originally posted by Owain Moneysaver

I remember using them well before

Computer Math was a new subject offered in 78. In our school. We learned binary and worked on punch cards, then 6 weeks later the syllabus was cancelled due to lack of interest
    • Mista_C
    • By Mista_C 7th Jul 17, 10:19 PM
    • 1,659 Posts
    • 3,466 Thanks
    Mista_C
    I kept all mine. I had a lot of computers over the years but I'll always have a soft spot for the Spectrum 128k +2 because my Dad bought it for me. It died a horrible, smokey death years ago unfortunately but I still have some good memories of getting my Dad to read out code from books while I typed it in.

Here's some of the stuff I still have around.

http://s287.photobucket.com/user/mr_chaotix/slideshow/Retro%20Computing
    • dontone
    • By dontone 7th Jul 17, 10:28 PM
    • 3,630 Posts
    • 10,373 Thanks
    dontone
    I had a Commodore 16. As I recall you couldn't do an awful lot with it.
    Originally posted by Callie22
    I had one too. I loved the games you got with it, like Xzzap & Punchy (which, watching it on Youtube while drinking special pop is hilarious) And we had a shop in Town that sold games for £1.99, - imagine that nowadays
    You could do things with it, providing you were prepared to spend hours doing binary stuff like 1,1,1,1 over and over again. Unsurprisingly, this didn't appeal to an 8 year old self lol.
    And, we must do a shout out the the BBC Micro, never has a computer been so falsely advertised with a name like 'Micro'
    BEST EVER WINS WON IN ORDER (so far) = Sony Camcorder, 32" lcd telly, micro ipod hifi, Ipod Nano, Playstation 3, Andrex Jackpup, Holiday to USA, nintendo wii, Liverpool vs Everton tickets, £250 Reward Your thirst, £500 Pepsi, p&o rotterdam trip, perfume hamper, Dr Who stamp set, steam cleaner.

comping = nowt more thrillin' than winnin'
    • decbel
    • By decbel 8th Jul 17, 12:23 AM
    • 964 Posts
    • 935 Thanks
    decbel
    I kept all mine. I had a lot of computers over the years but I'll always have a soft spot for the Spectrum 128k +2 because my Dad bought it for me. It died a horrible, smokey death years ago unfortunately but I still have some good memories of getting my Dad to read out code from books while I typed it in.

Here's some of the stuff I still have around.

http://s287.photobucket.com/user/mr_chaotix/slideshow/Retro%20Computing
    Originally posted by Mista_C
    Thanks for that.

Absolutely fascinating.

Some of that I've never seen before.

I would still say that the atari with the slot in cartridges was some of the best game play I've ever played.
    • Sam Fallow
    • By Sam Fallow 8th Jul 17, 12:49 AM
    • 744 Posts
    • 1,691 Thanks
    Sam Fallow
    Originally posted by Murphybear
    I used the Punch cards doing my 'o' level in the mid 70's. Only ever saw a computer once. No wonder I failed with an 'F'.

I reckon my first computer was PONG. Not just your basic PONG either, this one had 4 games! That's right, four.

Mid 90s I got an Amstrad PCW8256. WOW!
    I don't like morning people. Or mornings. Or people.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,177Posts Today

4,790Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin