Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Zastavia
    • By Zastavia 6th Jul 17, 7:40 PM
    • 4Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Zastavia
    I'm not entitled to ANYTHING (!)
    • 6th Jul 17, 7:40 PM
    I'm not entitled to ANYTHING (!) 6th Jul 17 at 7:40 PM
    We have moved to a rural area and my partner is disabled but works part time hours, about 20 hpw and brings home between 150 and 175 p/w. We pay nearly full rent, council tax, car fuel, electric, food etc...but this is not enough to live on. I have applied for many many jobs and have had no luck for months now. I have been turned down for JSA, Universal Credit or even carers allowance as my partner had her PIP turned down: she has lost her PIP, her tax credits and her blue badge despite suffering with severe ME. Her doctor told her she should not be working. I was told by the jobcentre I could not get income based JSA because her earnings are too high and I cannot get contributions based as I haven't paid in enough despite having worked solid for the last 16 months in my last job before moving (they used tax year 2015-2016). Also I cannot even get universal credit as our area (East Devon) is not yet 'LIVE'. I have been selling many things which I own to keep us going but its not enough, and we are beyond stretched. We have been to food banks and CAB and have spoken to others but there is no help and nowhere else to turn. It seems we are not eligible for anything at all...absolutely nothing...not even some kind of charity loan. My partner is awaiting the tribunal results of her appeal against her PIP decision (the reason for which they denied her at her initial assessment are too ridiculous to even say here). We've never been in this situation and its breaking our relationship to pieces, and my self-esteem is completely gone...I have 15 years retail and stores experience yet cannot get a response from anything I've applied for, and I always convey myself in a professional manner and have up-to-date CV's. We are now in debt on our credit cards and overdrafts and I'm already thinking what I can sell next.
Page 1
    • marliepanda
    • By marliepanda 6th Jul 17, 8:00 PM
    • 4,775 Posts
    • 9,599 Thanks
    marliepanda
    • 6th Jul 17, 8:00 PM
    • 6th Jul 17, 8:00 PM
    Okay initially why did you move to a rural area. I'm assuming it wasn't for work... you're struggling in a rural area which in my experience aren't busing retail job hubs.

In that income you'd be entitled to some housing benefit and council tax reduction. Have you claimed these?
    Survey Earnings 2017 - £163
    • xapprenticex
    • By xapprenticex 6th Jul 17, 8:09 PM
    • 1,264 Posts
    • 1,163 Thanks
    xapprenticex
    • 6th Jul 17, 8:09 PM
    • 6th Jul 17, 8:09 PM
    Try this, you will know for sure what you are (or are not) entitled to.

https://www.gov.uk/benefits-calculators

Good luck.
    • Zastavia
    • By Zastavia 6th Jul 17, 8:31 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Zastavia
    • 6th Jul 17, 8:31 PM
    • 6th Jul 17, 8:31 PM
    Thanks we lived in a rural area before, but we needed to move into sheltered accommodation. There are towns with shops and small retail park units 20 mins away but no luck with any of them. We are unfortunately only getting a very small amount of rent and council tax relief. It's just the fact that we're not entitled to any help, its beyond belief really.
    • marliepanda
    • By marliepanda 6th Jul 17, 8:50 PM
    • 4,775 Posts
    • 9,599 Thanks
    marliepanda
    • 6th Jul 17, 8:50 PM
    • 6th Jul 17, 8:50 PM
    Thanks we lived in a rural area before, but we needed to move into sheltered accommodation. There are towns with shops and small retail park units 20 mins away but no luck with any of them. We are unfortunately only getting a very small amount of rent and council tax relief. It's just the fact that we're not entitled to any help, its beyond belief really.
    Originally posted by Zastavia
    On the income stated you would be entitled to more. I feel theres some info being missed.

Not being entitled to JSA makes sense - your partner does earn more than the JSA amount for a couple per week.

Without sounding rude, why the need for sheltered accommodation? ME wouldnt normally require that, especially ME where the suffererer is able to manage some part time work. Is your rent very high? Are you renting more than a 1 bed property?

Basically on the info provided no one is expected to survive on JUST £600 a month. No one. So you're either missing info or something is going wrong. Eve with the loss of the disability benefits this doesnt add up, at all.
    Survey Earnings 2017 - £163
    • Zastavia
    • By Zastavia 6th Jul 17, 9:01 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Zastavia
    • 6th Jul 17, 9:01 PM
    • 6th Jul 17, 9:01 PM
    Thank-you, yes our outgoings totally outstrip what we have coming in. My partner has very bad sciatica and a spinal injury aswell as ME, it causes very bad feet and leg problems for her. We thought we'd get tax credits or a greater level of rent/c.tax relief but it appears not so. We are just sinking further and further into debt...and we've always been honest working people, disability or not. It seems there is some greater force working against us!
    • sangie595
    • By sangie595 6th Jul 17, 9:23 PM
    • 4,017 Posts
    • 6,502 Thanks
    sangie595
    • 6th Jul 17, 9:23 PM
    • 6th Jul 17, 9:23 PM
    This is the employment board, not the benefit board, so you are probably asking in the wrong place. But a few comments spring to mind.

It is my experience that sheltered housing includes costs that are not considered housing costs. If you don't need sheltered housing (and currently it seems that is assessed to be the case) then the balance has to be paid by you. You perhaps need to consider cheaper housing.

And for now - assuming you are appealing the PIP decision - it is what it is. If she is disabled and can manage to work for some part of the time, then either you must find any job that you can, or the two of you must cut your cloth.
    • IAmWales
    • By IAmWales 6th Jul 17, 9:33 PM
    • 1,615 Posts
    • 3,321 Thanks
    IAmWales
    • 6th Jul 17, 9:33 PM
    • 6th Jul 17, 9:33 PM
    I'm not understanding the sheltered housing either, it's generally for people that require outside assistance and not for someone who has a healthy partner. It also tends to be far more expensive than normal rentals.

How much is your rent and how much do you have to pay? How far away is your old job?
    • lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 7th Jul 17, 4:09 PM
    • 9,891 Posts
    • 7,945 Thanks
    lincroft1710
    • 7th Jul 17, 4:09 PM
    • 7th Jul 17, 4:09 PM
    I'm not understanding the sheltered housing either, it's generally for people that require outside assistance and not for someone who has a healthy partner.?
    Originally posted by IAmWales
    I agree. Also I know you will claim that running a car is essential, but it is a huge expense.
    • sangie595
    • By sangie595 7th Jul 17, 5:02 PM
    • 4,017 Posts
    • 6,502 Thanks
    sangie595
    I agree. Also I know you will claim that running a car is essential, but it is a huge expense.
    Originally posted by lincroft1710
    I missed the reference to the car. That means that the OP is not dependant on public transport or proximity to employment. I know East Devon - there are commutable areas, and it isn't the back of beyond, if you have a car. Especially not at this time of year. There's a thriving seasonal employment market, and that's a start.
    • debtisnotme
    • By debtisnotme 7th Jul 17, 5:23 PM
    • 103 Posts
    • 78 Thanks
    debtisnotme
    If you're struggling so much you should not be meeting your unsecured credit commitments, tell them you are in difficulties and pay them £1 a month until you secure some employment.
    Debt on 25/5/17
    Mortgage £61,999 £59,335
    Secured loan approximately £20,000 £19,353
    Unsecured debt in DMP with Stepchange £38,887 £37,763
    • Mojisola
    • By Mojisola 7th Jul 17, 5:26 PM
    • 28,502 Posts
    • 72,627 Thanks
    Mojisola
    my partner had her PIP turned down: she has lost her PIP, her tax credits and her blue badge despite suffering with severe ME.

Her doctor told her she should not be working.

My partner is awaiting the tribunal results of her appeal against her PIP decision
    My partner has very bad sciatica and a spinal injury aswell as ME, it causes very bad feet and leg problems for her.
    Focus your energy on getting ESA and PIP for your partner.

The system is horrible - get your MP involved if she doesn't get a fair hearing.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,527Posts Today

7,321Users online

Martin's Twitter