Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • DaveC_79
    • By DaveC_79 6th Jul 17, 7:00 PM
    • 7Posts
    • 2Thanks
    DaveC_79
    Wright Hassall - I've read 'Newbies' need advice please
    • 6th Jul 17, 7:00 PM
    Wright Hassall - I've read 'Newbies' need advice please 6th Jul 17 at 7:00 PM
    Hi, hope everyone is ok.

Background: I am an IT contractor for the NHS. 2-3 months ago I was advised by work that I could park in an 'estates' area which is a grass verge. I did not block access and there were no signs to say otherwise that I could not park there. I even left a note in my window that I worked for the NHS with my number. I was there for no longer than 1 hour to move equipment. I have since received a couple of letters from ZZPS following the PCN notice and now a letter from Wright Hassall.

Two weeks ago I sent a letter to Indigo Park Services (BPA member) stating why I shouldnt pay. I did not identify myself as the driver. This was a comprehensive letter describing lack of signage, no proof of obstruction etc.

I have had no comeback on this letter yet from Indigo. How do I treat this letter from Hassall now? It is saying they may pass this over to their litigation department and may look to obtain a CCJ against me with a long list of how this will negatively impact me......

What are my next steps? The 'outstanding balance' is now £146. Will this rise?

Thanks in advance of any response, duly appreciated. I have read the newbies post but seems unclear with direction and which letters to send. Popla?
Page 2
    • Johnersh
    • By Johnersh 6th Jul 17, 10:58 PM
    • 176 Posts
    • 276 Thanks
    Johnersh
    Ok, so here is my proposal, which I appreciate we may not all agree with, but it is a bit more targeted than a generic trading standards complaint. Take it or leave it.

I recommend that a complaint is made to the managing partner of Wright Hassall:

I refer to your correspondence of [date]. I wish to make a complaint on the basis that your letter is threatening, misleading as to the law and an abuse of the process of debt recovery. I refer to Law Society Warning Notice 11/06/2013 ("the Warning Notice").

(for MSE forum reference/background, see here: http://www.sra.org.uk/solicitors/code-of-conduct/guidance/warning-notices/Debt-recovery-work-and-relationships-with-debt-recovery-businesses--Warning-notice.page )

To the extent that the correspondence may have been sent by a third party, the letter is on Wright Hassall letterhead and the firm is responsible for the content. I wish to raise the following points:

1. Your letter states you or agents on behalf of your client will seek to obtain a CCJ which may affect
    1.1. My ability to obtain credit
    1.2. My ability to borrow funds
    1.3 My ability to obtain employment
    1.4. Be subject to bailiff enforcement or an attachment of earnings order.

All of the above points are misleading as to the position and may impair access to justice. The Court will determine any dispute if proceedings are commenced. In the event that a Judgment is awarded in your client's favour none of the above will occur provided that the Judgment is paid promptly. This is not made clear precisely to prompt the recipient into early payment and to discourage any defence of the action (however meritorious).

2. The full extent of Court enforcement is set out within the letter in a manner which is aggressive and intimidation without making the process of debt recovery clear (in clear disregard of the Warning Notice).

3. Your correspondence gives rise to no consideration of the recipient's position or any defence of the proposed action or consideration of negotiated settlement, only payment of the debt, which is neither admitted nor proven

4. At £146 the debt sought would appear to be set at a level beyond that which is likely to be recoverable in the small claims court (or at all) and may therefore misstate the correct legal position regarding the recovery of the parking charge in this matter, were your client to be successful.

5. The letter received appears to come from an individual who purports to be Head of Debt Recovery at Wright Hassall. Despite this, he is not listed on the firm's website and is not a registered solicitor. It is unclear as to what his position is or if he exists. It is further not clear that Wright Hassall have appropriately represented their status as required by the Warning Notice.

We expect you to accurately and openly represent your authority/status in all communications, and to convey in those communications the correct legal position with regard to debts and the debt recovery process.

I look forward to hearing from you.

cathartic, that.
    • Umkomaas
    • By Umkomaas 6th Jul 17, 11:16 PM
    • 13,625 Posts
    • 21,366 Thanks
    Umkomaas
    This might be the guy to write to - Nick Abell.

Those letters might have gotten him into a fine old mess!
    We cannot provide you with a silver bullet to get you out of this. You have to be in for the long run, and need to involve yourself in research and work for you to get rid of this. It is not simple. We will help, but can't do it for you.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.
    • beamerguy
    • By beamerguy 6th Jul 17, 11:16 PM
    • 5,530 Posts
    • 7,112 Thanks
    beamerguy
    A great letter Johnersh ... but you know what, this will go over
    the heads of Wright Hassall and the other dodgy legals

WHY ? Because they already know that most people will just
    pay up.

Trading Standards are there to protect people against scammers
    and the more people complain, the more they will be interested

This forum is fed up with "trying to reason" with these cowboys,
    they are not interested and so Trading Standards is the best way ahead ... we simply cannot continue to talk to the brain dead
    RBS - MNBA - CAPITAL ONE - LLOYDS

DISGUSTING BEHAVIOUR
    • DaveC_79
    • By DaveC_79 7th Jul 17, 9:16 AM
    • 7 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    DaveC_79
    Thats awesome guys thankyou.

So Im going to do 2 things:

1. Wright a letter directly to WHS inline with the template.
    2. Write a letter to Trading Standards in relation to the Solicitors Law and how I believe WHS have broken it.

Anymore help out there and advice is duly appreciated.
    • Johnersh
    • By Johnersh 7th Jul 17, 9:22 AM
    • 176 Posts
    • 276 Thanks
    Johnersh
    Once you've had your complaint, simply await what comes in. There is no next step.

Being a defendant is all about reacting to the Claimant. Let us know how you get on, but the next concrete procedural step is the Letter of Claim / Letter Before Action if the Claimant parking company intends to forge ahead with this. That is a formal notification of intent to proceed with the claim.

There are, of course, numerous forum examples of responses. The Letter of Claim is likely to be fairly generic - its how they keep their overheads down.
    • Loadsofchildren123
    • By Loadsofchildren123 7th Jul 17, 9:52 AM
    • 982 Posts
    • 1,694 Thanks
    Loadsofchildren123
    Can I ask which hospital? It wasn't Cardiff was it?
    • Loadsofchildren123
    • By Loadsofchildren123 7th Jul 17, 10:10 AM
    • 982 Posts
    • 1,694 Thanks
    Loadsofchildren123
    I think everyone who gets these letters should bombard the senior partner with Jonersh's letter
    • ShaneLong1234
    • By ShaneLong1234 8th Jul 17, 10:17 AM
    • 5 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    ShaneLong1234
    Hi Dave, All. I have received the same letter from Tim Hawker. I've read all the post's here. I will also report to Trading Standards. If all good with you guys I will post their response. Thanks for your help. Shane.
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 8th Jul 17, 5:31 PM
    • 48,299 Posts
    • 61,775 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    I think everyone who gets these letters should bombard the senior partner with Jonersh's letter
    Originally posted by Loadsofchildren123
    I agree and will update the NEWBIES thread with that link, later. I will put it in the debt collector's section to be used where a 'solicitor's letter' is being spewed out by a debt collection firm. I will also encourage more Trading Standards complaints.

LOC123, when you get a moment, can you separately email me with your thoughts about things to include or change in the NEWBIES thread, now I'm back from my short break?
    PRIVATE PCN in England/Wales? DON'T PAY BUT DO NOT IGNORE IT

Click on the trail, top of this page: Home>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking - read the 'NEWBIES' FAQS thread!
    DON'T read old advice to ignore, unless in Scotland/NI.

• Giant Hogweed
    • By Giant Hogweed 9th Jul 17, 3:59 PM
    • 132 Posts
    • 110 Thanks
    Giant Hogweed
    This might be the guy to write to - Nick Abell.

Those letters might have gotten him into a fine old mess!
    Originally posted by Umkomaas
    I E mailed him about ZZPS using Wright Hassall headed notepaper in my own case against VCS a couple of years ago, adding lots of obvious gaffs in the threatening letter I received.
    I didn't get a reply, no surprise there........
    • The Deep
    • By The Deep 12th Jul 17, 7:55 AM
    • 6,698 Posts
    • 5,697 Thanks
    The Deep
    As long as the SRA think that they are doing a good job nothing will happen

It seems to me that the SRA are more interested in rooting out financial impropriety among ethnic members of their profession.
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
    • doublediamond57
    • By doublediamond57 26th Jul 17, 12:34 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    doublediamond57
    Thank you for this template I shall also be using it in my response to a threatening letter from Tim Hawker - I have also reported it to TSA
    .Many thanks
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,119Posts Today

9,188Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin