Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • GeeTee99
    • By GeeTee99 6th Jul 17, 6:13 PM
    • 29Posts
    • 1Thanks
    GeeTee99
    E-ON Gas Pre-payment meter and electricity direct debit has doubled
    • 6th Jul 17, 6:13 PM
    E-ON Gas Pre-payment meter and electricity direct debit has doubled 6th Jul 17 at 6:13 PM
    Unfortunately, I'm having more problem with E-On.

I see their company represnetatives are still on this forum so I hope one of you can help me.

Recently I was sent a letter telling me my direct debit was going to increase from £30 to £78. Over two and a half time the last rate. I've questioned it a number of times and all I'm told is that my usage has increased and my previous rate was too low. I accept that at £30 my last rate was low but to implement a two and a half time increase is surely too much. If my last rate was too low for too long then I am not at fault for that, I want to get back to normal but I cant afford to pay £78 for electricity in the summer months. Is it possible for my rate to go to a lower figure figure until I catch up.

With my Elec at £78 and my gas being still a pre-payment meter I have paid E-on almost £110 in less than a week for my monthly fuel. I cannot continue to pay that amount.

Which brings me onto my second point, why have I still got a pre-payment meter for gas when my bill was under £100 last autumn? Can it be possible for the pre-payment meter to be taken off please and to pay the arrears with a direct debit? I hope you can help.

As usual the customer service has been lacking. I have tried to call the company but I twice been on hold for over 30 minutes and eventually gave up trying. I tried the live chat but the analyst was unable to help at all. I hope you can help.
Page 1
    • Robin9
    • By Robin9 6th Jul 17, 6:17 PM
    • 1,942 Posts
    • 1,256 Thanks
    Robin9
    • 6th Jul 17, 6:17 PM
    • 6th Jul 17, 6:17 PM
    The usual questions - are your bills based on ACTUAL or ESTIMATED readings ? are you giving E.on monthly readings.

It may well be that E-on are playing catch up and you have been underpaying.
    • GeeTee99
    • By GeeTee99 6th Jul 17, 6:19 PM
    • 29 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    GeeTee99
    • 6th Jul 17, 6:19 PM
    • 6th Jul 17, 6:19 PM
    It looks like they based their bills on estimates but apparently now its correct.

I said in my OP that I appreciate £30 pounds was low and I've been underpay but it looks like I underpaid for 6 months so they've compensated by trying to recover the arrears in three months. Thats not fair.
    • geoffken
    • By geoffken 6th Jul 17, 6:41 PM
    • 336 Posts
    • 262 Thanks
    geoffken
    • 6th Jul 17, 6:41 PM
    • 6th Jul 17, 6:41 PM
    well you have had an interest free loan from them so time to check actual consumption that you have been undercharged for and make a plan with supplier to balance bill in 12 months.
    PLUS read monthly at least to ensure you are paying down your debt.
    I read weekly 30 seconds and track to be sure.
    • Robin9
    • By Robin9 6th Jul 17, 7:05 PM
    • 1,942 Posts
    • 1,256 Thanks
    Robin9
    • 6th Jul 17, 7:05 PM
    • 6th Jul 17, 7:05 PM
    GeeTee - why is it not fair? You didn't give the readings.

Time and time again on these forums we see the consequence of not taking control of your bills.

Learn the lesson and give regular readings and then check your bills.
    • GeeTee99
    • By GeeTee99 6th Jul 17, 7:35 PM
    • 29 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    GeeTee99
    • 6th Jul 17, 7:35 PM
    • 6th Jul 17, 7:35 PM
    Thanks for your answer Robin but not sure how helpful you think you've been. I did what I was asked to do and due to the fact that I had arrears two years ago I didn't question E-On on much. So thank you for your advise. In fact them nearly trebling my dd has made me realize I need to keep on top of them much more as they've shown they cant be trusted. This increase will almost certainly be the final straw with them I'm seriously thinking of changing my supplier so again thank you for opening my eyes.

Does anyone have any sensible comments?
    Last edited by GeeTee99; 06-07-2017 at 7:39 PM.
    • GeeTee99
    • By GeeTee99 6th Jul 17, 7:36 PM
    • 29 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    GeeTee99
    • 6th Jul 17, 7:36 PM
    • 6th Jul 17, 7:36 PM
    I was anticipating one of the advisors getting back to me. I wasn't really anticipating Robin telling me off.
  • E.ON Company Representative: Helena
    • 7th Jul 17, 10:32 AM
    • 7th Jul 17, 10:32 AM
    Unfortunately, I'm having more problem with E-On.

I see their company represnetatives are still on this forum so I hope one of you can help me.

Recently I was sent a letter telling me my direct debit was going to increase from £30 to £78. Over two and a half time the last rate. I've questioned it a number of times and all I'm told is that my usage has increased and my previous rate was too low. I accept that at £30 my last rate was low but to implement a two and a half time increase is surely too much. If my last rate was too low for too long then I am not at fault for that, I want to get back to normal but I cant afford to pay £78 for electricity in the summer months. Is it possible for my rate to go to a lower figure figure until I catch up.

With my Elec at £78 and my gas being still a pre-payment meter I have paid E-on almost £110 in less than a week for my monthly fuel. I cannot continue to pay that amount.

Which brings me onto my second point, why have I still got a pre-payment meter for gas when my bill was under £100 last autumn? Can it be possible for the pre-payment meter to be taken off please and to pay the arrears with a direct debit? I hope you can help.

As usual the customer service has been lacking. I have tried to call the company but I twice been on hold for over 30 minutes and eventually gave up trying. I tried the live chat but the analyst was unable to help at all. I hope you can help.
    Originally posted by GeeTee99
    Good morning GeeTee99,

I'm sorry that you're having some issues with us and also for the wait on the phone.

It does sound like the payments you've been making haven't been enough to cover your usage, this will be the reason for the increase.

Or it maybe that the account has been billed to estimated readings that were low and we've now billed to accurate reads causing a catch up bill.

To talk about reducing the monthly amount and spreading the balance over a longer period, you would need to speak to the credit operations department as they're the ones that can make changes.

For the future, I would say to pop your reads on to your online account as much as you can and then request a real time bill or balance, this will keep the account fully up to date and accurate all of the time and you'll know where the account stands.

To change the gas pre-payment meter, we'd need to get you in touch with the pre-payment to credit team and you can go from there.

I hope this helps get you in the right direction.

Thank you

Helena
    Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
    • GeeTee99
    • By GeeTee99 7th Jul 17, 10:42 AM
    • 29 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    GeeTee99
    • 7th Jul 17, 10:42 AM
    • 7th Jul 17, 10:42 AM
    HI Helena,

Thanks for the reply. I'm currently trying to get thru again. Its the third time I've been waiting for over half an hour on the phone for someone to answer it. Is there any other way of contacting you as I have no faith in this line. It connects and it sounds like someone is there but they never take the call and never answer. I tried twice after 6pm last night and was unable to get through.
    • GeeTee99
    • By GeeTee99 7th Jul 17, 10:44 AM
    • 29 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    GeeTee99
    I've complained about the phone lines before but apparently they haven't done a thing to improve them. I think its time to say good bye to E-On as they have consistently given poor service over the years.
    • GeeTee99
    • By GeeTee99 7th Jul 17, 10:52 AM
    • 29 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    GeeTee99
    Hi Helena, Still on hold. Over 40 minutes now. Why dont they answer the phone?
    • GeeTee99
    • By GeeTee99 7th Jul 17, 11:02 AM
    • 29 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    GeeTee99
    Hi Helena,

Finally got through but no surprise they couldn't do much. Strange but you managed to get my Pre-payment meter removed before so why cant it be done this time.. Now they are putting me through to the direct debit department again so I'm back on hold. Its a joke.

Is there anyway I can send you my details so you can take a look please.
  • E.ON Company Representative: Helena
    Hi GeeTee99 thank you for the replies.

I'm sorry you're having some problems getting through on the phone.

I can't arrange a meter change I'm afraid, they may not agree to a change at the minuet due to paying off a balance and having a balance on the electricity account also. They should explain exactly why though if this can't go ahead.

It's similar with payment arrangements, in that we can only say what the payment amount is set at and why this has happened etc. We can't extend payments to cover longer periods of time.

We do have different areas of the business and each area looks after a specific topic and they're given the access they need to make additional changes and arrangements.

I'm sorry as I do know it's frustrating, do you have the number from the website? There is a list on there.

Thank you

Helena
    Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
    • GeeTee99
    • By GeeTee99 7th Jul 17, 1:12 PM
    • 29 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    GeeTee99
    Hi HElena,

I think the direct debit problem is being solved. As for the meter. I was put on this plan two years ago to pay arrears and by my calculation they should be paid off by now so I dont understand why I still have a balance. Also, looking through my gas bills over the past two years, I have almost cleared the gas bill on at least one occasion. So again I dont understand that , if I only pay for what I use then why have I got such a high balance? Can you look into it for me please as the phone lines dont give you any answers.

Thanks for your help.
    • trickytree1963
    • By trickytree1963 7th Jul 17, 1:16 PM
    • 185 Posts
    • 108 Thanks
    trickytree1963
    Does it say on your PAYG Gas meter the outstanding balance and the amount taken per week or as a % of the top ups you make? Do the gas statements you get match up your receipts for Gas top ups purchased?
    • GeeTee99
    • By GeeTee99 7th Jul 17, 3:48 PM
    • 29 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    GeeTee99
    Hi Helena,

I think the direct debit problem is being solved.

Thanks for your help.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,116Posts Today

9,418Users online

Martin's Twitter