Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Bath cube
    • By Bath cube 6th Jul 17, 4:46 PM
    • 92Posts
    • 60Thanks
    Bath cube
    Ear lobe repair
    • 6th Jul 17, 4:46 PM
    Ear lobe repair 6th Jul 17 at 4:46 PM
    Three years ago I accidently teared my right ear lobe. An earring got caught on a cardigan shoulder, and as I pulled it off my lobe split. Before this happened I had a uneven dent in that lobe from birth. I had to have my ears repierced as the split occurred right on where the piercing was. I don't like how my ear looks but I don't really want to pay to have it done by a cosmetic surgeon. I have found a local body modification and tattoo salon on the net which says they can repair stretched and torn lobs and restore any modified ears and lobes to a normal appearance. They don't include the costs on their site but they do say it is much more reasonable to have it done by them. They don't use any local anaesthetic and say it is painless and quick and you go back to have the sutures removed after a week. Is this a good idea or not?.
Page 1
    • McKneff
    • By McKneff 6th Jul 17, 6:52 PM
    • 35,456 Posts
    • 45,636 Thanks
    McKneff
    • 6th Jul 17, 6:52 PM
    • 6th Jul 17, 6:52 PM
    Never in a million years would the cutting, modification using scalpels and suturing would be painless.

Run for the hills
    No one can make you feel inferior without your consent
    • Timpu
    • By Timpu 6th Jul 17, 7:46 PM
    • 222 Posts
    • 258 Thanks
    Timpu
    • 6th Jul 17, 7:46 PM
    • 6th Jul 17, 7:46 PM
    ...they do say it is much more reasonable to have it done by them.
    Originally posted by Bath cube
    They would say that, wouldn't they?

They don't use any local anaesthetic and say it is painless and quick and you go back to have the sutures removed after a week.
    As above, absolutely no way. Painless sutures? I would be seeking clarification.

I don't really want to pay to have it done by a cosmetic surgeon.
    Have you sought out quotes? Have you discussed a repair with your GP, they might be able to help you? While I understand you want to save money, please get advice from those trained and qualified in this field.
    • avogadro
    • By avogadro 6th Jul 17, 8:29 PM
    • 3,159 Posts
    • 5,326 Thanks
    avogadro
    • 6th Jul 17, 8:29 PM
    • 6th Jul 17, 8:29 PM
    I presume the tattoo and piercing salon would be repairing things like this, when the client decides they've had enough of having huge holes in their ear lobes and the resulting flappy drooping skin

• brook2jack
    • By brook2jack 6th Jul 17, 8:46 PM
    • 3,981 Posts
    • 3,604 Thanks
    brook2jack
    • 6th Jul 17, 8:46 PM
    • 6th Jul 17, 8:46 PM
    Any setting providing medical care has to be inspected, the staff training validated and rigorous cross infection protocols checked,verified and adhered to.

The staff will have undergone years of training and ongoing training in surgical techniques,cross infection etc. They will have blood tests to check they are not carrying transmissible diseases.

The materials and equipment they use will be rigorously cleaned , sterilised and certified as fit for purpose.

Tattoo parlours in this country do not have to be inspected as rigorously http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-families/health-news/call-for-hygiene-score-to-get-under-skin-of-tattooists-7704276.html. The highest rising risk factor in the U.K. for hepatitis c is tattooing and piercing/body modifications.

People who work in tattoo parlours need have no training, don't have to undergo testing for transmissible diseases and don't have clinically verified sterilisation facilities.

The ear is notoriously difficult to operate on , as it has quite a poor blood supply and infection, necrosis is a common hazard. But what the hey what could possibly go wrong allowing an unqualified person with no training , using instruments that haven't been sterilised to surgical standards , operate on you with no anaesthetic?

Nb from what I've seen letting an unqualified person operate on you with no anaesthetic or with cream you've bought at the chemist costs around £250 , having a plastic surgeon operate with anaesthetic , having trained for years and in a proper medical setting will cost around £450. Sometimes saving money is not the important thing.
    Last edited by brook2jack; 06-07-2017 at 9:02 PM.
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 6th Jul 17, 9:27 PM
    • 4,428 Posts
    • 18,471 Thanks
    Slinky
    • 6th Jul 17, 9:27 PM
    • 6th Jul 17, 9:27 PM
    Three years ago I accidently teared my right ear lobe. An earring got caught on a cardigan shoulder, and as I pulled it off my lobe split. Before this happened I had a uneven dent in that lobe from birth. I had to have my ears repierced as the split occurred right on where the piercing was. I don't like how my ear looks but I don't really want to pay to have it done by a cosmetic surgeon. I have found a local body modification and tattoo salon on the net which says they can repair stretched and torn lobs and restore any modified ears and lobes to a normal appearance. They don't include the costs on their site but they do say it is much more reasonable to have it done by them. They don't use any local anaesthetic and say it is painless and quick and you go back to have the sutures removed after a week. Is this a good idea or not?.
    This has to be one of the maddest ideas I've ever read on MSE. I bet it was painful when you tore the lobe, I can't imagine how a repair with no anaesthetic could possibly be painless.

I bet you'd pay to get it done, then pay somebody else to sort out the mess these people have made of it.

Buy cheap, pay twice.
    • heartbreak_star
    • By heartbreak_star 10th Jul 17, 11:23 AM
    • 7,570 Posts
    • 16,676 Thanks
    heartbreak_star
    • 10th Jul 17, 11:23 AM
    • 10th Jul 17, 11:23 AM
    I've got 8 tattoos, have had 17 piercings and really want a dermal anchor...but no way would I let a piercer repair a torn lobe.

HBS x
    I believe in ordinary acts of bravery, in the courage that drives one person to stand up for another.

#JC4PM
    • Bath cube
    • By Bath cube 10th Jul 17, 10:54 PM
    • 92 Posts
    • 60 Thanks
    Bath cube
    • 10th Jul 17, 10:54 PM
    • 10th Jul 17, 10:54 PM
    Ok. I have read the advice on here and absorbed it. It looks very likely that I will be paying a cosmetic surgery clinic about five hundred pounds. But as brook2jack says saving money isn't a priority over being safe and assured the person doing it is qualified and competent.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,987Posts Today

7,970Users online

Martin's Twitter