Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • sauceoclock
    • By sauceoclock 6th Jul 17, 4:24 PM
    • 741Posts
    • 660Thanks
    sauceoclock
    What would you need to know as a LL if a tenant wanted an OH to move in?
    • 6th Jul 17, 4:24 PM
    What would you need to know as a LL if a tenant wanted an OH to move in? 6th Jul 17 at 4:24 PM
    I intend to ask my landlady if she is agreeable to my boyfriend moving in at the end of September (he has been offered work back at home and wed like to end our long-distance). Ive only been a tenant in her property for 4 months, Im a vetted and referenced tenant and my landlady manages the property directly only using an agency to procure tenants in the event of eviction or vacation of the property. My landlady hasnt inspected since I moved in but has dropped in for different bits and bobs and seems happy with me as a tenant, we text back and forth if there are any issues and theyre always pleasant. My boyfriend recently fixed a sink (hes a tradesman) that she was going to send a plumber for and she was very thankful. As far as I have checked there are no clauses in my AST that state I must be the sole occupant and previously a couple did live in the house (appreciate her insurance may state differently). If she declines my request then I will see the end of my tenancy out living alone with him staying as a guest on weekends and hed have to rent somewhere else. Wed then look to move next April but that is really my last wish, I love the house and my neighbours, its perfectly located on a street with my closest friends a few doors away and the city centre a short walk.

As there are a plethora of landlords/ladys here on the forum I am wondering what you would care to know if one of your tenants asked for a boyfriend/girlfriend to move in. I respect her rights as the owner of the property and want to cover all my bases concisely in my e-mail asking her permission. I have already covered that he has no criminal convictions, will be employed full-time, that we are happy to put in writing that upon separation I would remain the sole tenant and he would move elsewhere, that he has an exemplary credit record and that we are happy to forward relevant rental and employment references. Thank you in advance for letting me borrow your knowledge and hopefully giving a LLs point of view.
    Christmas Shopping: 30 Amazon 30 Argos 10 Tesco
    Loan: 3,000.00
Page 1
    • Guest101
    • By Guest101 6th Jul 17, 4:25 PM
    • 14,482 Posts
    • 14,182 Thanks
    Guest101
    • 6th Jul 17, 4:25 PM
    • 6th Jul 17, 4:25 PM
    It depends. If he's just moving in, but not going on the tenancy, then it's nothing the LL need concern herself about.
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 6th Jul 17, 4:26 PM
    • 14,710 Posts
    • 13,078 Thanks
    AdrianC
    • 6th Jul 17, 4:26 PM
    I can't see any grounds to object, tbh.

There might even be scope for a decent working relationship between the two of 'em, maybe also with the agency...
    • sauceoclock
    • By sauceoclock 6th Jul 17, 4:26 PM
    • 741 Posts
    • 660 Thanks
    sauceoclock
    It depends. If he's just moving in, but not going on the tenancy, then it's nothing the LL need concern herself about.
    Originally posted by Guest101
    Thanks, that's interesting to think about. I'm not sure about the legality surrounding on it but I assume she could perhaps assist we sign a new AST?
    • Guest101
    • By Guest101 6th Jul 17, 4:28 PM
    • 14,482 Posts
    • 14,182 Thanks
    Guest101
    • 6th Jul 17, 4:28 PM
    • 6th Jul 17, 4:28 PM
    I intend to ask my landlady if she is agreeable to my boyfriend moving in at the end of September (he has been offered work back at home and wed like to end our long-distance). Ive only been a tenant in her property for 4 months, Im a vetted and referenced tenant and my landlady manages the property directly only using an agency to procure tenants in the event of eviction or vacation of the property. My landlady hasnt inspected since I moved in but has dropped in for different bits and bobs and seems happy with me as a tenant, we text back and forth if there are any issues and theyre always pleasant. My boyfriend recently fixed a sink (hes a tradesman) that she was going to send a plumber for and she was very thankful. As far as I have checked there are no clauses in my AST that state I must be the sole occupant and previously a couple did live in the house (appreciate her insurance may state differently). If she declines my request then I will see the end of my tenancy out living alone with him staying as a guest on weekends and hed have to rent somewhere else. Wed then look to move next April but that is really my last wish, I love the house and my neighbours, its perfectly located on a street with my closest friends a few doors away and the city centre a short walk. - The LL has the right to receive rent for the property. She cant dictate how often your guest stays. If you don't ask for weekends, why would you ask for weekdays?

As there are a plethora of landlords/ladys here on the forum I am wondering what you would care to know if one of your tenants asked for a boyfriend/girlfriend to move in. I respect her rights as the owner of the property and want to cover all my bases concisely in my e-mail asking her permission. - why? I have already covered that he has no criminal convictions - not relevant , will be employed full-time - not relevant, that we are happy to put in writing that upon separation I would remain the sole tenant and he would move elsewhere - really don't see why you would involve the LL in that case... , that he has an exemplary credit record - not relevant and that we are happy to forward relevant rental and employment references - not relevant. Thank you in advance for letting me borrow your knowledge and hopefully giving a LLs point of view.
    Originally posted by sauceoclock

I think you'll just be opening a can of worms unnecessarily.
    • sauceoclock
    • By sauceoclock 6th Jul 17, 4:29 PM
    • 741 Posts
    • 660 Thanks
    sauceoclock
    • 6th Jul 17, 4:29 PM
    • 6th Jul 17, 4:29 PM
    I can't see any grounds to object, tbh.

There might even be scope for a decent working relationship between the two of 'em, maybe also with the agency...
    Originally posted by AdrianC
    Yes! Great idea! He is JIB registered and she did say she has a couple of houses, I suggested perhaps if she ever needs some electrical work or basic plumbing (he's just a bit of a dab hand) that she should pop me a text.
    • Guest101
    • By Guest101 6th Jul 17, 4:30 PM
    • 14,482 Posts
    • 14,182 Thanks
    Guest101
    • 6th Jul 17, 4:30 PM
    Thanks, that's interesting to think about. I'm not sure about the legality surrounding on it but I assume she could perhaps assist we sign a new AST?

There is no legality around it, you can have a guest whenever you want.

(no she couldn't insist you sign anything)

If she was really opposed she would evict at the end of the fixed term, but as you said you'd move out at the end of the fixed anyway if it bothered her - theres no issue
    • sauceoclock
    • By sauceoclock 6th Jul 17, 4:30 PM
    • 741 Posts
    • 660 Thanks
    sauceoclock
    I think you'll just be opening a can of worms unnecessarily.
    Thank you, I'll take that on board. I guess I want to check as he technically wouldn't be a 'guest' if he stays 7 days a week and say she pops round to do some work I wouldn't like to blindside her with him answering the door and all his belongings in the home!
    • Guest101
    • By Guest101 6th Jul 17, 4:33 PM
    • 14,482 Posts
    • 14,182 Thanks
    Guest101
    • 6th Jul 17, 4:33 PM
    • 6th Jul 17, 4:33 PM
    Thank you, I'll take that on board. I guess I want to check as he technically wouldn't be a 'guest' if he stays 7 days a week and say she pops round to do some work I wouldn't like to blindside her with him answering the door and all his belongings in the home!

Why not? - so if you invited your sister to visit for 2 weeks, what then?

What do you mean 'pop round'? surely she gives you 24 hours notice?
    • sauceoclock
    • By sauceoclock 6th Jul 17, 4:36 PM
    • 741 Posts
    • 660 Thanks
    sauceoclock
    Why not? - so if you invited your sister to visit for 2 weeks, what then?

What do you mean 'pop round'? surely she gives you 24 hours notice?
    She doesn't just pop in unannounced but if I text and say somethings up she more than often will just let herself in whilst I'm at work to fix it. We have a very casual LL-tenant relationship in that sense. I don't need the full 24hrs notice as I'm there so infrequently given my longer working hours.
    • Guest101
    • By Guest101 6th Jul 17, 4:40 PM
    • 14,482 Posts
    • 14,182 Thanks
    Guest101
    She doesn't just pop in unannounced - good! had thoughts of her popping in whenever she fancied but if I text and say somethings up she more than often will just let herself in whilst I'm at work to fix it. We have a very casual LL-tenant relationship in that sense. I don't need the full 24hrs notice as I'm there so infrequently given my longer working hours.

Sure and that's great, I've had landlords like that in the past. Just don't let them take the mick
    • sauceoclock
    • By sauceoclock 6th Jul 17, 4:41 PM
    • 741 Posts
    • 660 Thanks
    sauceoclock
    Sure and that's great, I've had landlords like that in the past. Just don't let them take the mick
    Ha I would certainly get annoyed if she just popped over all the time, I don't like my space being invaded!
    • Guest101
    • By Guest101 6th Jul 17, 4:45 PM
    • 14,482 Posts
    • 14,182 Thanks
    Guest101
    Ha I would certainly get annoyed if she just popped over all the time, I don't like my space being invaded!
    Anyway back to the other point.

A guest can be a guest for as long as you want them to be a guest. You and you alone decide who can be in your property.
    • sauceoclock
    • By sauceoclock 6th Jul 17, 4:48 PM
    • 741 Posts
    • 660 Thanks
    sauceoclock
    Anyway back to the other point.

A guest can be a guest for as long as you want them to be a guest. You and you alone decide who can be in your property.
    Okay thank you, perhaps I'll have him stay with me as a guest for the first few months (I'm a realist and I know it may not work out as living with someone is a big test of a relationship) and then perhaps when I renew my tenancy in April ask for him to be added at that time given I'll be renewing anyway.
    • Guest101
    • By Guest101 6th Jul 17, 4:49 PM
    • 14,482 Posts
    • 14,182 Thanks
    Guest101
    Okay thank you, perhaps I'll have him stay with me as a guest for the first few months (I'm a realist and I know it may not work out as living with someone is a big test of a relationship) and then perhaps when I renew my tenancy in April ask for him to be added at that time given I'll be renewing anyway.
    That's very sensible

Now go get a bottle of bubbly and tell him the good news
    • sauceoclock
    • By sauceoclock 6th Jul 17, 4:53 PM
    • 741 Posts
    • 660 Thanks
    sauceoclock
    That's very sensible

Now go get a bottle of bubbly and tell him the good news
    He comes to visit tomorrow, I'll have the beers ready!!
    • FBaby
    • By FBaby 6th Jul 17, 4:57 PM
    • 15,675 Posts
    • 39,198 Thanks
    FBaby
    The issue could arise if you are currently in receipt of benefits as a single person for instance, and she was concerns that this would stop with your boyfriend moving in and potentially not being able to afford the rent together.

Saying that, what would she do? As stated above, just wait until the end of the fixed term.

I still think it would be good manners to let her know and provide her with the assurance that it won't change anything to your ability to pay rent, but it's up to you whether to do so or not.
    • sauceoclock
    • By sauceoclock 6th Jul 17, 5:00 PM
    • 741 Posts
    • 660 Thanks
    sauceoclock
    The issue could arise if you are currently in receipt of benefits as a single person for instance, and she was concerns that this would stop with your boyfriend moving in and potentially not being able to afford the rent together.

Saying that, what would she do? As stated above, just wait until the end of the fixed term.

I still think it would be good manners to let her know and provide her with the assurance that it won't change anything to your ability to pay rent, but it's up to you whether to do so or not.
    Originally posted by FBaby
    Thanks for your advice, I'm not in receipt of any benefits aside from 25% council tax discount which naturally will be sacrificed once we have registered him at the property.

Having considered the other points made I will have him move in on a guest basis and e-mail her to let her know my boyfriend is staying at the property on a trial basis to see if it works for us living together. I supposed I sometimes forget that even though I rent it is still my home, I feel so obliged to notify my landlady of everything I'm doing!
    • paddypaws101
    • By paddypaws101 7th Jul 17, 2:31 PM
    • 2,045 Posts
    • 2,449 Thanks
    paddypaws101
    Well I ( as a landlady) am going to disagree with most of the advice already given.
    You have a good relationship with your LL and have clearly thought through all the important points about your OH ( employed, no criminal record etc etc) I think those points ARE relevant.
    I would email her and give all the info you gave here and ask permission for OH to reside at the property, with you remaining as named tenant. I cannot see that any half decent LL would object but IMO it's far better all round to be completely honest about the situation.
    • Guest101
    • By Guest101 7th Jul 17, 3:17 PM
    • 14,482 Posts
    • 14,182 Thanks
    Guest101
    Well I ( as a landlady) am going to disagree with most of the advice already given.
    You have a good relationship with your LL and have clearly thought through all the important points about your OH ( employed, no criminal record etc etc) I think those points ARE relevant. - Why are they relevant? If she doesn't want him on the tenancy yet?
    I would email her and give all the info you gave here and ask permission for OH to reside at the property, with you remaining as named tenant. I cannot see that any half decent LL would object but IMO it's far better all round to be completely honest about the situation.
    Originally posted by paddypaws101
    What do you mean permission? She doesn't need permission.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,670Posts Today

8,056Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin