Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • OldBeanz
    • By OldBeanz 6th Jul 17, 3:54 PM
    • 644Posts
    • 459Thanks
    OldBeanz
    0 WOW
    Tesco currency
    • 6th Jul 17, 3:54 PM
    0 WOW
    Tesco currency 6th Jul 17 at 3:54 PM
    Tesco is the best place for me to buy currency for a number of reasons. I remember an article earlier in the year on MSE which says that you can hedge the currency if you buy 2 weeks before i.e. if the rate goes up you just order more and take the original back. Having used the search facility I cannot find what I am looking for. Does anyone know what I am talking about or did I dream this?
Page 1
    • pogofish
    • By pogofish 6th Jul 17, 7:02 PM
    • 7,232 Posts
    • 7,268 Thanks
    pogofish
    • 6th Jul 17, 7:02 PM
    • 6th Jul 17, 7:02 PM
    You found the wrong forum! - Try looking/posting in Flights, Currency and Car Hire for the most up to date info and advice.
    • heatherw_01
    • By heatherw_01 6th Jul 17, 7:03 PM
    • 4,785 Posts
    • 3,511 Thanks
    heatherw_01
    • 6th Jul 17, 7:03 PM
    • 6th Jul 17, 7:03 PM
    Hi, we move threads if we think they’ll get more help elsewhere (please read the forum rule) so this post/thread has been moved to another board. If you have any questions about this policy please email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    I'm the Board Guide on Quick Grabbit, Freebies, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning and the UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
    • eDicky
    • By eDicky 7th Jul 17, 7:40 AM
    • 2,571 Posts
    • 1,102 Thanks
    eDicky
    • 7th Jul 17, 7:40 AM
    • 7th Jul 17, 7:40 AM
    http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel/cheap-travel-money#cashtrick

But it's unlikely to work at Tesco, whose rates are anyway so bad that they offset any possible advantage compared to using a card such as Monzo:

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/credit-cards/prepaid-travel-cards#monzo
    • worried jim
    • By worried jim 7th Jul 17, 7:52 AM
    • 8,271 Posts
    • 12,532 Thanks
    worried jim
    • 7th Jul 17, 7:52 AM
    • 7th Jul 17, 7:52 AM
    Tesco is the best place for me to buy currency for a number of reasons. I remember an article earlier in the year on MSE which says that you can hedge the currency if you buy 2 weeks before i.e. if the rate goes up you just order more and take the original back. Having used the search facility I cannot find what I am looking for. Does anyone know what I am talking about or did I dream this?
    Originally posted by OldBeanz
    Just join the 21st century and get Monzo

https://monzo.com/

No need to get mugged off buying currency in the U.K. Anymore.
    "Only two things are infinite-the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the universe"
    Albert Einstein
    • OldBeanz
    • By OldBeanz 7th Jul 17, 3:22 PM
    • 644 Posts
    • 459 Thanks
    OldBeanz
    • 7th Jul 17, 3:22 PM
    • 7th Jul 17, 3:22 PM
    Thanks for the advice but Tesco it is.
    • eDicky
    • By eDicky 7th Jul 17, 3:32 PM
    • 2,571 Posts
    • 1,102 Thanks
    eDicky
    • 7th Jul 17, 3:32 PM
    • 7th Jul 17, 3:32 PM
    Tesco online rate: 1.1127
    Mid-market rate: 1.1311
    • OldBeanz
    • By OldBeanz 7th Jul 17, 7:53 PM
    • 644 Posts
    • 459 Thanks
    OldBeanz
    • 7th Jul 17, 7:53 PM
    • 7th Jul 17, 7:53 PM
    It is just a starter; I have paid up front for my holiday so will be getting money at 1.13 back; Tesco relative staff usage so good for points; on credit card so no payment until September; have 8 current accounts - do not need another; have Santander 123 ccard (no fee- perfect rate) for cash which will be paid off on the day; Clarity MCard and Nwide Visa cards (perfect rates) for purchases in case one or other is not acceptable or does not work. Do not want a 6th CC. Chunnel Frequent traveller account so frequently abroad. Prepaid dodgy in fuel stations and French tolls (have tag but sometimes they get a bit shirty about size of motorhome). Do not want to limit spend; 5 weeks on the beach is a long time. Cash is just for travel down Enjoy your hols
    • Jonmenzies
    • By Jonmenzies 7th Jul 17, 11:02 PM
    • 21 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    Jonmenzies
    • 7th Jul 17, 11:02 PM
    • 7th Jul 17, 11:02 PM
    This reads like mumbo jumbo. Sorrry.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

388Posts Today

4,478Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin