Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • betty77
    • By betty77 6th Jul 17, 3:25 PM
    • 13Posts
    • 12Thanks
    betty77
    Newbie to the thrifty life!
    • 6th Jul 17, 3:25 PM
    Newbie to the thrifty life! 6th Jul 17 at 3:25 PM
    Hello All, I am new to this site and to being thrify! I recently moved in with my partner and due to his income I lost all my benefit money (ESA due to poor health) so I have to be very frugal indeed now as I have very little money to call my own.

My long term plans are to work from home blogging and making art but I am trying to get started with surveys, compititions and finding offers online I can benefit from.

I am also looking for ways to just cut my expenses in general.

With the little money I do have I would like to be able to still buy; art materials, decent skincare products, vitamins (to help with my health issues), gym membership (this is a low cost gym I do use), gifts and cards, travel expenses when needed, and the odd meal out or cinema trip.

I used to buy a lot of books but have joined the library and am using free and low cost online sites for information and music instead of buying CDs and magazines.

Other ways to save money are:
    Walking everywhere I am able instead of taking the bus
    Only eating food from home i.e. no snacks or water from outside always bring them with me unless a special occasion.
    Always write a list of what to buy
    Keep a spending diary
    Sell my unwanted stuff - not really a lot of stuff maybe £50 I could make here.
    Find other ways to make money online

I am lucky in that my partner will pay for our food, mortgage and bills which is great but my own personal spending money isn't enough at the moment to cover the above so I need to find way sto maximise what I have and spend less.I would also like to save us money as a couple by switching energy providers and budgeting on food shopping.

I am going to spend some time looking around this site and hopefully pick up some more tips!

If anyone has an advice for me please feel free to post below, many thanks!
Page 1
    • whiteguineapig
    • By whiteguineapig 6th Jul 17, 3:33 PM
    • 954 Posts
    • 4,117 Thanks
    whiteguineapig
    • 6th Jul 17, 3:33 PM
    • 6th Jul 17, 3:33 PM
    if you are home all day you could do swag bucks, there is a thread on the extra income board, , lots of tips in the first post, we save amazon vouchers up
    • betty77
    • By betty77 6th Jul 17, 3:42 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    betty77
    • 6th Jul 17, 3:42 PM
    • 6th Jul 17, 3:42 PM
    Cool thanks, yeah that looks great I will check it out now!
    • vodkawitch1
    • By vodkawitch1 6th Jul 17, 4:51 PM
    • 987 Posts
    • 4,624 Thanks
    vodkawitch1
    • 6th Jul 17, 4:51 PM
    • 6th Jul 17, 4:51 PM
    Try sending tips into magazines ( look at pinterest for inspiration), I got £50 this month for a tip with a photo. I like mintvine survey site and do try mystery shopping. It all adds up
    Make £2 a day challenge - doing well so far.
    • Ilona
    • By Ilona 6th Jul 17, 6:40 PM
    • 1,825 Posts
    • 6,368 Thanks
    Ilona
    • 6th Jul 17, 6:40 PM
    • 6th Jul 17, 6:40 PM
    You're off to a good start Betty. If you live near a supermarket could you do a deal with your partner. Go shopping at around 7pm, buy up the yellow stickers, reduced and sometimes super cheap, work out the difference between the original and the cheap, your partner could give you the money saved. I shopped at Tesco last week and got £29 worth for less than a tenner. Worth a thought.
    Ilona
    I love skip diving
    • rach_k
    • By rach_k 6th Jul 17, 7:29 PM
    • 944 Posts
    • 1,632 Thanks
    rach_k
    • 6th Jul 17, 7:29 PM
    • 6th Jul 17, 7:29 PM
    I'm sure people will offer loads of great suggestions but one thing I would question is whether your partner is able to give you some money of your own, out of any 'spare' money he has. You are obviously classed as a couple and your income is assessed as a couple rather than two individuals, so why should you be the only one losing out financially? I appreciate that it's your benefit that has changed but that's because of him. I don't work so my husband gives me money for myself so that we both have money for things like treats.
    • wondercollie
    • By wondercollie 6th Jul 17, 7:34 PM
    • 1,040 Posts
    • 7,992 Thanks
    wondercollie
    • 6th Jul 17, 7:34 PM
    • 6th Jul 17, 7:34 PM
    You're in a relationship with someone who can provide for both of you.

I understand the need to have your own money, I was a stay at home Mum for over a decade.

My husband never questioned what I did with the money. I looked after the home, children, etc. and he earned the wage.

So, my advice is to stop beating yourself up over the perceived lack of you bringing money to the relationship. What you provide in housework, meal planning, and over all making you partner's life comfortable is a job and they should be thankful for it.
    Last edited by wondercollie; 06-07-2017 at 7:44 PM.
    • culpepper
    • By culpepper 6th Jul 17, 7:52 PM
    • 3,833 Posts
    • 6,911 Thanks
    culpepper
    • 6th Jul 17, 7:52 PM
    • 6th Jul 17, 7:52 PM
    Surveys are very good for that sort of spending money.
    As mentioned above the extra income board is very useful for ideas.
    In the debt free part of the forum there is a make £10 a day challenge which often has interesting suggestions for earnings even if you aren't really thinking of actually making £10 a day.
    If you can find it in your library, 'the tightwad gazette' is a very good read.
    Also 'Feed your family for £5 A day ' has homemade food ideas that are very economical even if just two of you to feed.
    • gonebust
    • By gonebust 6th Jul 17, 10:26 PM
    • 169 Posts
    • 605 Thanks
    gonebust
    • 6th Jul 17, 10:26 PM
    • 6th Jul 17, 10:26 PM
    I have to agree to some extent, your partner moved in with you, he should help support you and that includes you having money for yourself from the joint finances ( as a couple all finances should be joint)

However I do get where you are coming from where you need money in your name only where you do t feel the need to justify where it's spent

However, whilst your ideas and plans are admirable , you are not going to make up the loss of your ESA anytime soon. You need the conversation with OH as to you having access to money to spend as you see fit without it impacting on the monies needed for the smooth running of the house hold

If his income isn't enough to facilitate this, perhaps you need to look again at living together

Sorry if it sounds harsh, it's not ment. But unless you are on equal footing financially, or there's money there that you can freely access without you feeling guilty or he begrudging you, it's never going to work
    • Prinzessilein
    • By Prinzessilein 7th Jul 17, 8:26 AM
    • 1,831 Posts
    • 8,459 Thanks
    Prinzessilein
    Your partner is willing (and able!) to support you which is terrific...I do agree that this should include seeing that you have 'personal' money too.

Having said that, I think it is a great idea to look at how to save money for you both.....switching energy providers is definitely worth a look (and phone/broadband too?)

Survey sites don't pay out a huge amount....but you might look at Consumer Pulse ( they pay out in vouchers and you could select Waterstones ones and treat yourself to a 'real' book once in a while...or save the vouchers and use them to buy Christmas/Birthday presents)....and YouGov seem to give a fair number of surveys (and you can save your points for a £50 cheque).

Charity Shops are well worth a visit....depending on what art you do, you could find materials here (fabric et.c).....and Lidl do 'specials' each week - I have the app and can check which offers are on ....you could keep an eye out for their 'art/craft' weeks.

And just a thought....you say you have lost your ESA due to moving in with your partner...have you checked your eligibility for other benefits?....PiP? (the criteria are TOUGH, but if you fulfil them then living with your OH won't be a barrier)...and if you have mobility issues check your local authority criteria for a disability bus pass (in my area you can claim one if your disability would preclude you from getting a driving licence)
    • honeythewitch
    • By honeythewitch 7th Jul 17, 9:39 AM
    • 758 Posts
    • 2,370 Thanks
    honeythewitch
    I think the finances should be joint too, and I would worry if my partner didnt agree.
    If the boot was on the other foot, would you see him struggling for money?
    • betty77
    • By betty77 7th Jul 17, 10:10 AM
    • 13 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    betty77
    Hello all thank you so much for all your advice and suggestions!

I should clarify that my partner does give me "personal" money into my account each month but I have to say it tends to be eaten up with general household spending such as buying cleaning products and bits of food shopping so that their is very little leftover for things I need for myself. I am now keeping a small notepad in the kitchen to add items to when we need them so that I can add them to the general food shopping list which my partner pays for so that I can use the money he gives me for my own needs. He makes a decent wage and he isn't mean and he doesn't spend a lot on himself at all but I am aware that he is paying for everything and its hard not to feel guilty although I imagine I am a lot cheaper than hiring a housekeeper!

I don't think I would qualify for PIP, I probably would have under DLA but the criteria is so much tougher for PIP especially for my condition.

I know that surveys etc can't make up for the income I used to have but they might make what money I do have go a little further or help me buy christmas and birthday gifts.

I will have a good look at all the advice given to me here I have already signed up to swag bucks and already have almost enough to buy a £5 amazon voucher! I have also entered some competitions nothing that will cost me any money to enter and only things I could use or sell so perhaps that will pay off in some way!

Now I just need to devise a system to stay on top of it all!
    • whiteguineapig
    • By whiteguineapig 7th Jul 17, 12:21 PM
    • 954 Posts
    • 4,117 Thanks
    whiteguineapig
    there is a very good swagbacks thread with loads of tips, i check that everyday
    • mumofthetwins
    • By mumofthetwins 7th Jul 17, 12:25 PM
    • 788 Posts
    • 3,539 Thanks
    mumofthetwins
    Please don't shoot me here but what about a wee part time job ? if you don't need a certain number of hours it might make it a bit more flexable and if you've already lost your bennifits its not going to effect those ?
    Lisa x
    This time I'm sticking with it !!

May £264.56/£300 NSD lost track but much more than last month / 38 June £216.30/£300 NSD 15/30 July £120.21/£300 NSD 9/15
    PAD
    June £3362.78 July £1753.88
    • betty77
    • By betty77 7th Jul 17, 12:56 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    betty77
    I would love a part time job but I have tried in the past and I have always been let go within weeks as my health meant I was too unreliable. My condition is chronic but fluctuating meaning I can be fine one day and totally bed ridden the next.
    My goal is to find a job working from home in some way so that I can make my own hours. This would be ideal as it would mean I could work extra hours the days I am fine and when I am ill I'm not letting anyone down.
    Also even though I have lost all payments I am still registered as unable to work due to ill health.
    • betty77
    • By betty77 7th Jul 17, 12:58 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    betty77
    there is a very good swagbacks thread with loads of tips, i check that everyday
    Originally posted by whiteguineapig
    Thanks I will check out the swagbuck thread now
    • maman
    • By maman 7th Jul 17, 4:14 PM
    • 16,236 Posts
    • 96,927 Thanks
    maman
    I should clarify that my partner does give me "personal" money into my account each month but I have to say it tends to be eaten up with general household spending such as buying cleaning products and bits of food shopping so that their is very little leftover for things I need for myself. I am now keeping a small notepad in the kitchen to add items to when we need them so that I can add them to the general food shopping list which my partner pays for so that I can use the money he gives me for my own needs.
    Originally posted by betty77

As you're the 'housekeeper', is it possible for you to take over all the household shopping instead of just buying the bits that you run out of?

When posters ask about moneysaving, the best tips are often on food shopping by downsizing or batchcooking or meal planning or other ideas. That way you could manage the budget and any savings could be split between you and OH which means you both win financially and he also saves time doing a shop.
    • betty77
    • By betty77 7th Jul 17, 5:00 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    betty77
    I am in charge of the shopping as in what we buy and I cook everything from scratch we just have a tiny freezer though so not a lot of room to store food. We also meal plan etc but there are always ways to cut back!
    • maman
    • By maman 7th Jul 17, 5:30 PM
    • 16,236 Posts
    • 96,927 Thanks
    maman
    I am in charge of the shopping as in what we buy and I cook everything from scratch we just have a tiny freezer though so not a lot of room to store food. We also meal plan etc but there are always ways to cut back!
    Originally posted by betty77

Shame about the tiny freezer, perhaps that could go on the list?

If you decide on what to buy and what to cook, it would only be a small step for you to have the food budget cash to manage yourself. How does it work now? Dies your DH do internet shopping or go alone and bring back what's on your list?

It's many, many years since I haven't had my own income but I know when DD was small back in the day I had 'housekeeping' and I could save on that to give me some spare cash of my own over and above our household budget. I felt I'd earned it by making savings. That's the sort of thing I was suggesting.
    • Chris25
    • By Chris25 7th Jul 17, 6:54 PM
    • 12,044 Posts
    • 11,443 Thanks
    Chris25
    Have you thought about putting a wanted ad on sites like Freecycle/Gumtree/Freegle/Preloved? - I've sometimes seen art materials on those for free.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,003Posts Today

8,777Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin