Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • BMS8765
    • By BMS8765 6th Jul 17, 3:20 PM
    • 4Posts
    • 0Thanks
    BMS8765
    Braking Taxi rear door hits my mirror.
    • 6th Jul 17, 3:20 PM
    Braking Taxi rear door hits my mirror. 6th Jul 17 at 3:20 PM
    Hello! Hoping to pick a few brains.

On the 1st June 2017 i was driving down a narrow road (Narrow due to cars being parked either side) and a car is coming towards me, as he pulls up into the space on his left his rear door swings open and hits my drivers side mirror causing a dent in his door and my mirror and fitting to be completely demolished as well as my window being scratched by the mirror glass. I actually thought he was letting me pass.

I had just turned onto the road 50m earlier in my 1.4L 20 year old car so i can confirm i was not exceeding 20mph.

The driver of the 3rd party car has claimed that he was parked and his door was shut and has not taken liability. This is my first ever accident so i'm obviously quite worried as to how it will all plan out.

Anyone have any advice please?
Page 1
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 6th Jul 17, 3:58 PM
    • 32,109 Posts
    • 16,203 Thanks
    Quentin
    • 6th Jul 17, 3:58 PM
    • 6th Jul 17, 3:58 PM
    If this has gone to insurers just make sure yours has your side of the story and leave it to them to sort out
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 6th Jul 17, 3:59 PM
    • 17,903 Posts
    • 13,580 Thanks
    agrinnall
    • 6th Jul 17, 3:59 PM
    • 6th Jul 17, 3:59 PM
    I think you'll be fortunate to get 50:50 on this, but don't be surprised if it's determined that you were at fault. You've said "I actually thought he was letting me pass", which suggests to me that wasn't what he was doing and you just made an assumption that turned out to be incorrect.
    • ThePants999
    • By ThePants999 6th Jul 17, 4:50 PM
    • 710 Posts
    • 791 Thanks
    ThePants999
    • 6th Jul 17, 4:50 PM
    • 6th Jul 17, 4:50 PM
    If he's claiming his door was shut, how is he claiming it got dented!?
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 6th Jul 17, 6:00 PM
    • 25,299 Posts
    • 10,041 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    • 6th Jul 17, 6:00 PM
    • 6th Jul 17, 6:00 PM
    Your version of events just needs to sound more convincing that their version.
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • BMS8765
    • By BMS8765 7th Jul 17, 3:59 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    BMS8765
    • 7th Jul 17, 3:59 PM
    More detailed description - preparing to send to insurers.
    • 7th Jul 17, 3:59 PM
    Hello, Thank you for your responses. I have now written up the below explanation, could you please advise

I have made diagrams online showing what happened.

Inline image 3
    Blue car belongs to third part - Approaches me at approx 15 MPH and I in silver car (Policy Holder) brake from approx 15mph.

Inline image 4Inline image 5Inline image 7
    3rd Party begins to turn into space on his side of road. Due to lack of signals i.e indicators and his attention (looking at his taxi GPS on his left -hand was raised to it) I also slowed to attempt to make eye contact, by this point he is in his space but still rolling forward. Due to no further indications of him moving out of the space i continued to my now clear path.

As i pass his drivers door myself and one of my passengers noticed him braking very sharply causing his rear passenger door to be flung open into the path of my car hitting my drivers side mirror approximately 3 inches in. Please see indentation on my mirror casing below. I must of been travelling at 15mph max at this point.

A second loud bang followed the 3rd parties door hitting my car and this was the door itself slamming shut.

Inline image 8Inline image 9

3rd party has now exited his vehicle and picks up his mirror glass thinking it is his. I first ask if everyone is ok (As far as I know a passenger opened the rear door) and then inform the 3rd party it was his rear door swinging open and hitting my mirror, the mirror glass does not belong to his vehicles.

He argues this as he heard 2 loud bangs so looked up and down the whole right side of his vehicle claiming I drove into the side of his car. Given the dent on the edge of the door and absolutely no other damage to any other panel on his car or mine I obviously then argued back informing him that the first loud bang was the impact of his door swinging into my mirror and the second loud bang was his door slamming shut. Image of his door below, open and closed.Inline image 10Inline image 11

3rd party has now exited his vehicle and picks up his mirror glass thinking it is his. I first ask if everyone is ok (As far as I know a passenger opened the rear door) and then inform the 3rd party it was his rear door swinging open and hitting my mirror, the mirror glass does not belong to his vehicles.

He argues this as he heard 2 loud bangs so looked up and down the whole right side of his vehicle claiming I drove into the side of his car. Given the dent on the edge of the door and absolutely no other damage to any other panel on his car or mine I obviously then argued back informing him that the first loud bang was the impact of his door swinging into my mirror and the second loud bang was his door slamming shut. Image of his door below, open and closed.

3rd party is still adamant that I collided with the corner of his rear passenger door (somehow) and suggest I pay for the damage privately, I inform him that I am in no way at fault in this matter as I did everything possible to assess the situation in passing his car and having a door fling open quite aggressively is not something that happens every day!

Following my explanation as to what happened he then suggested that if I were to go through insurance and say he was in his vehicle he could claim for injuries ‘’It would be in your best interest not to say I was in the vehicle as I will claim for injuries’’.

My overall conclusion is the 3rd party didn’t realise that he was still rolling forward due to releasing his boot as I was just passing the front of his car, whoever his previous passenger was had not shut the door properly/the latch pin had got jammed and the 3rd party didn’t notice his warning light. Due to realising he was rolling forward he slammed on his brakes to stop causing the rear passenger door to be aggressively opened due to nothing holding it shut.

I would like to note the below:
    3rd Party’s vehicle was rolling forward with his eyes off the road and on his GPS – His boot had also been opened from inside the vehicle.
    3rd party had absolutely no idea as to what had happened making it very frustrating for myself and my passengers (During discussion with 3rd party driver I asked my passengers to go and sit in my car)
    3rd party instantly insisted I pay for damaged privately and was quite unreasonable and confrontational when I relayed what I saw happen.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,433Posts Today

9,281Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin