Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • catkins
    • By catkins 6th Jul 17, 3:08 PM
    • 5,417Posts
    • 11,451Thanks
    catkins
    Cold sores
    • 6th Jul 17, 3:08 PM
    Cold sores 6th Jul 17 at 3:08 PM
    Any cold sore treatments that actually work? I have tried most things and none of them have ever worked.

I am going on holiday on Saturday and I have really bad cold sores come up not only on my lip but also on my face between my lips and my nose.

They are sore but they also look horrible.
    The world is over 4 billion years old and yet you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie
Page 1
    • cattie
    • By cattie 6th Jul 17, 3:30 PM
    • 7,734 Posts
    • 5,261 Thanks
    cattie
    • 6th Jul 17, 3:30 PM
    • 6th Jul 17, 3:30 PM
    I used to buy Zovirax, which always worked for me, but then found that Wilkinsons do a aciclovir cold sore cream at around £1, so have switched over to that now.

Even when in hospital Aciclovir cream is what they give you for cold sores & think it's the main ingredient for cold sore treatment.

There are tablets that a gp can prescibe for a particularly bad cold sore flare up, so might be worth you looking into this if there's time before you go away.
    The bigger the bargain, the better I feel.

I should mention that there's only one of me, don't confuse me with others of the same name.
    • catkins
    • By catkins 6th Jul 17, 4:24 PM
    • 5,417 Posts
    • 11,451 Thanks
    catkins
    • 6th Jul 17, 4:24 PM
    • 6th Jul 17, 4:24 PM
    Zovirax didn't work for me. I have tried various over the counter things but none of them work. I usually don't bother putting anything on them because of that but as I am going away I would like them to clear up quickly.

No chance of getting a doctor's appointment tomorrow
    The world is over 4 billion years old and yet you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie
    • david39
    • By david39 6th Jul 17, 4:58 PM
    • 1,926 Posts
    • 1,555 Thanks
    david39
    • 6th Jul 17, 4:58 PM
    • 6th Jul 17, 4:58 PM
    I find I can usually stop a cold sore's further development by applying Germoline to it. It doesn't seem to get rid of it, but if you catch it early, the sore doesn't seem to spread or reach the scabby stage. It still hangs around for some days, though.
    The secret is to catch it at a very early stage, when it is just a tender dot on your skin. It then stays like that for a few days and subsides.
    • elsien
    • By elsien 6th Jul 17, 5:01 PM
    • 15,061 Posts
    • 37,723 Thanks
    elsien
    • 6th Jul 17, 5:01 PM
    • 6th Jul 17, 5:01 PM
    I didn't rate Zovirax so now just put some Vaseline on to stop them from cracking and bleeding.
    Do you know what triggers them for you, so you can get in early before they start?
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
    • Mojisola
    • By Mojisola 6th Jul 17, 5:06 PM
    • 28,226 Posts
    • 71,814 Thanks
    Mojisola
    • 6th Jul 17, 5:06 PM
    • 6th Jul 17, 5:06 PM
    http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-supplements/ingredientmono-237-lysine.aspx?activeingredientid=237&activeingredien tname=lysine
    • sstevo19
    • By sstevo19 6th Jul 17, 9:10 PM
    • 387 Posts
    • 2,730 Thanks
    sstevo19
    • 6th Jul 17, 9:10 PM
    • 6th Jul 17, 9:10 PM
    I know some people who recommend Lysine supplements as a treatment to prevent them and stop them.

Virasorb (Aciclovir) from the Pound shop works well.
    • Geoff1963
    • By Geoff1963 6th Jul 17, 9:45 PM
    • 1,058 Posts
    • 668 Thanks
    Geoff1963
    • 6th Jul 17, 9:45 PM
    • 6th Jul 17, 9:45 PM
    Zovirax, early. Cold sores are often triggered by stress ; or rather, stress prevents the body suppressing the virus which causes them.
    Think of running up a "down" escalator, and not being able to run fast enough.

Preparing for a holiday is stressful, perhaps they aren't worth it.
    I usually get ill once I'm on holiday. I'm not alone.
    http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20150216-the-truth-about-holiday-illnesses
    • BookWorm
    • By BookWorm 6th Jul 17, 9:53 PM
    • 2,279 Posts
    • 13,907 Thanks
    BookWorm
    • 6th Jul 17, 9:53 PM
    • 6th Jul 17, 9:53 PM
    Lysine Ointment... works like a charm...whereas the other over the counter stuff no longer does. The tablet version is also good for a boost to the system
    • AbbieCadabra
    • By AbbieCadabra 7th Jul 17, 11:36 AM
    • 1,567 Posts
    • 944 Thanks
    AbbieCadabra
    longtime sufferer so tried everything going!

I use generic aciclovir cream if I get the 'tingle' but mine usually appear overnight so don't always have the opportunity to stop them in their tracks.

I try to remember to take my lysine supplement daily, & increase the dose 3 times daily when I do have one. this has really helped cut the frequency of them down.

Lloyds chemist used to do this machine, absolutely speeds up recovery & can even stop if timed right. no longer available but similar gadgets with same tech are available.
    • catkins
    • By catkins 7th Jul 17, 12:09 PM
    • 5,417 Posts
    • 11,451 Thanks
    catkins
    Mine can be caused by stress, sun, being run down, having a cold!

I am stressed at the moment, not just because of all the holiday preparations so it could well be that.

I never seem to get an warning of them - no tingling or anything. They just suddenly appear
    • Jonee
    • By Jonee 7th Jul 17, 12:16 PM
    • 49 Posts
    • 132 Thanks
    Jonee
    Zovirax stopped working for me so now use FENISTIL....over the counter at the chemist.
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 8th Jul 17, 10:05 AM
    • 17,638 Posts
    • 44,916 Thanks
    Pollycat
    Zovirax, early.
    Originally posted by Geoff1963
    This ^^^^ if you can catch it.

I use a lip salve with F30 protection.

The best I've found is Malibu, you can get packs of 3 different flavours from B&M for about £2.
    I also noticed them in TKMaxx yesterday.

I hope you have a great, cold-sore-free holiday.
    • shandyclover
    • By shandyclover 8th Jul 17, 11:44 AM
    • 865 Posts
    • 3,498 Thanks
    shandyclover
    I think different things work for different stages. In the very beginning if I first feel that 'tingle' or even a suspect itch and I am at home I whack on a hot tea bag or an ice cube which can stop the cold sore developing. If I am out and about I will dab on alcohol gel, then virasorb. as a long term sufferer of cold sores I carry both with me all the time. One time I got caught on a camping weekend and I used a dab of honey and it did work - the cold sore never developed. Honey is supposed to have anti viral properties. If I haven't managed to catch it in time and it develops, I will alternatively use virasorb to stop the virus multiplying, and alcohol gel to dry it out. Once the itching/tingling has stopped, I just use alcohol gel as I feel drying it out helps it heal faster. My brother is hardcore and will actually remove any scabs and blisters with swabs and alcohol and I have to say it does seem to work for him, his are gone in about 2-3 days though he does attack them brutally. My daughter swears by Blistex cold sore cream with Docosonal, available at Boots. I tried it, didn't work any faster than Virasorb for me, and is £6.99 for 2 g so not cheap. I am learning to be a bit more proactive. I know sun is a trigger for me so I try to wear lip balm with SPF. I also got some lip balm from Holland and Barrett with Lysine in so tired/stressful times I put it on before bed to stop the virus from popping up over night.
    No buying unnecessary toiletries 2014. Epiphany on 4/4/14 - went into shop to buy 2 items, walked out with 17!

• bellanoisette
    • By bellanoisette 8th Jul 17, 4:41 PM
    • 19 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    bellanoisette
    Aciclovir tablets off your GP. Nothing else works for me. As soon as I feel a tingle I take a couple and it stops the blisters from forming. I get them on repeat prescription after I was left with a scar on my lipline from a huge coldsore infection
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 8th Jul 17, 6:06 PM
    • 12,715 Posts
    • 16,900 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    Mrs G often gets cold sores when on holiday. She goes to her GP beforehand and gets Aciclovir tablets.
    Advice; it rhymes with mice. Advise; it rhymes with wise.
    • waterbhoy
    • By waterbhoy 17th Jul 17, 9:48 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    waterbhoy
    Long time lurker on these forums but thought I would finally post and let others know what really works for me in treating cold sores. Like many I've suffered a lot wrt cold sores and tried the usual remedies from my GP, Zovirax cream, Aciclovir tablets, Liposene, electric zapping gadget etc but nothing really heals them fast.

A few years ago whilst holidaying in New Zealand I got a huge cold sore on my upper lip and went straight off to the nearest pharmacy. They gave me something called 'Famvir Once' which is basically 3 tablets of 500mg Famciclovir and you take them all at once....and that's it....no faffing around with messy creams or having to take pills 3 times a day for god knows how long. It wasn't cheap (i think it was £20) but it did the trick. Cold sore pain disappeared within hours and by the next morning there was just a minor scar left. So definitely the most effective medication I've used.

Upon my return to Blighty, I enquired at my local Boots the cost of Famciclovir. Was told its not available without a prescription but on a private prescription, 3 tablets of 500mg Famciclovir would cost £62

So I toddled off to my GP a few weeks later, asking her if she could prescribe Famciclovir 500mg on the NHS as I had used this before on holiday abroad down under and it worked wonders. She was reluctant at first but in the end agreed to give me a trial pack of 6 tablets free of charge (being in Scotland prescriptions are free). Again they did wonders, and provided I take them at the first feeling of tingling, they more or less stop full blown episodes of cold sores. So now i get them on the NHS for free, I usually get 14 tabs at a time which lasts me up to 2 years.

Famciclovir is not widely prescribed in UK due to exorbitant costs I guess but its widely available in many countries over the counter. Obviously its strengthens your case on getting it on the NHS if you can prove that you've used it before (eg on holiday) and it turned out to be the most effective treatment.
    Last edited by waterbhoy; 17-07-2017 at 9:54 AM.
    • tyllwyd
    • By tyllwyd 17th Jul 17, 10:41 AM
    • 5,350 Posts
    • 4,339 Thanks
    tyllwyd
    I use Zovirax for bad outbreaks, but on my lips if I can feel one coming then Vaseline seems to help stop it developing into a proper blister.

I did use a light therapy device for a couple of years and I felt it helped to cut down the severity of the attacks to the extent that I was able to stop using it because the cold sores weren't so bad. But I also wonder if it is hormone related, so it might have naturally got less severe as I went through my thirties to forties.
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 17th Jul 17, 3:02 PM
    • 12,715 Posts
    • 16,900 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    So now i get them on the NHS for free, I usually get 14 tabs at a time which lasts me up to 2 years.
    Originally posted by waterbhoy

Just Googled Famvir 500g and 30 tablets are available at a cool £999 from a UK online pharmacy.
    Advice; it rhymes with mice. Advise; it rhymes with wise.
    • waterbhoy
    • By waterbhoy 17th Jul 17, 4:39 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    waterbhoy
    Just Googled Famvir 500g and 30 tablets are available at a cool £999 from a UK online pharmacy.
    Originally posted by Gloomendoom
    LOL hence why I suggested getting them through a NHS prescription, because they ARE available via the NHS. Luckily I have a very sympathetic/understanding GP but I imagine not every GP in the country will prescribe these willy nilly for cold sores. But obviously it doesn't hurt to ask
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,178Posts Today

6,137Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @thismorning: 'Sometimes the best gift is releasing somebody else from the obligation of having to give to you' says @MartinSLewis. Do y?

• Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Follow Martin