Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • anniecave
    • By anniecave 6th Jul 17, 1:09 PM
    • 2,140Posts
    • 682Thanks
    anniecave
    switching broadband and landine question
    • 6th Jul 17, 1:09 PM
    switching broadband and landine question 6th Jul 17 at 1:09 PM
    When i moved into my current house a year ago, I signed up for 12 months to Sky broadband 17mb and line rental. The 12 month min. term is due to end later this month. I would ideally like to keep my landline number.

First, obvious question, do I need to wait until after the minimum term has actually ended to request a switch to another provider, or can I do it before, for just after the end date (I believe it should take around 2 weeks?)

Second question, I tried getting quotes with a couple of providers (BT and plus.net) and with both of them the "line check" software was saying that they would have to give me a new phone number. But then on the next screen with BT, it was then saying it would transfer my number.

Does anyone know whether the "line check" system knows that there's a minumum term, and for example that's why it's saying I would neeed a new number, but once I'm out of contract the number can be ported?

Or could it be that plus.net can't transfer my number, and BT maybe can?

I know it is definately an openreach line, and i thought that it should be possible to transfer my landine number beween the openreach based providers (talk talk, plus net, EE, BT etc) but do only some of them do the number porting maybe?

Anyone any experience please?
    Indecision is the key to flexibility.
Page 1
    • lee111s
    • By lee111s 6th Jul 17, 1:16 PM
    • 2,744 Posts
    • 1,891 Thanks
    lee111s
    • 6th Jul 17, 1:16 PM
    • 6th Jul 17, 1:16 PM
    The system won't know you're in term.

It usually takes a couple of weeks to transfer so when you place the order just set the date for the dat after the end of your minimum term.

There should be no reason your number can't be moved with you, although it's never guaranteed.
    • AndyPK
    • By AndyPK 6th Jul 17, 6:56 PM
    • 2,118 Posts
    • 545 Thanks
    AndyPK
    • 6th Jul 17, 6:56 PM
    • 6th Jul 17, 6:56 PM
    I believe the new supplier has to pay a line ceese to enable the number to be transfered. Therefore they will come up with all sorts of reasons why you can't have the number.

Just insist you need your number at the time of order if its that important to you
    • anniecave
    • By anniecave 6th Jul 17, 10:07 PM
    • 2,140 Posts
    • 682 Thanks
    anniecave
    • 6th Jul 17, 10:07 PM
    • 6th Jul 17, 10:07 PM
    Thank you for the replies. I was unaware the new supplier has to pay extra for a number transferring but that makes sense.
    • LazyTyper
    • By LazyTyper 6th Jul 17, 10:58 PM
    • 362 Posts
    • 139 Thanks
    LazyTyper
    • 6th Jul 17, 10:58 PM
    • 6th Jul 17, 10:58 PM
    It sounds like you spoke with some inexperienced agents at both BT and Plusnet.

Presumably the number you currently have is a number Sky have provided. As this has nothing to do with BT Group the Openreach systems won't have any record of this number, so when BT Retail and Plusnet checked their systems there won't be any data about what they can offer you. They both would need to rely on an address check and then check if they can port the number over.

Both BT Retail and Plusnet consume the same WLR3 product from Openreach so either can port your existing number across. You may need to be persistent with them.

It costs BT and Plusnet £12.50 to select a number to give to you, which also covers porting if required.
    • iniltous
    • By iniltous 6th Jul 17, 11:03 PM
    • 1,239 Posts
    • 427 Thanks
    iniltous
    • 6th Jul 17, 11:03 PM
    • 6th Jul 17, 11:03 PM
    You should be able to time the migration of service from Sky to whoever you want to use, to happen after the Sky 12 month minimum term expires, given that you have to give 30 days notice and the migration should take around 2 weeks, but personally I would err on the side of caution and not try to get moved on the exact anniversary of taking service from Sky, but at least a few days after, if you pay for month 13 with Sky, you would be refunded the part month when the new provider contract starts
    You should be able to port the number to your new provider , the chances are that if you used on line checker/ordering , the number you currently have is a number from Sky's own LLU/MPF number range, and won't be recognised by BT wholesale checker software, that doesn't mean you cannot port the number, you could try calling the 'new' provider rather than using on line tools.
    I don't think there is any extra charge to port numbers between providers, it's a reciprocal arrangement, if Sky want to be able to port numbers into their 'network', they have to provide porting of numbers from their network to other company's networks, it's a Ofcom regulation , to not offer number portability would be seem as anti competitive
    • anniecave
    • By anniecave 7th Jul 17, 11:00 PM
    • 2,140 Posts
    • 682 Thanks
    anniecave
    • 7th Jul 17, 11:00 PM
    • 7th Jul 17, 11:00 PM
    Thank you so much for your replies everyone, it was really helpful.

I have applied to switch to BT. The website initially gave me that same message about a new number but it then went through more detailed questions and it eventually confirmed that my number will be transferred.

I also thought I would have to pay £1.75 per month for caller display but it's actually free for the first 12 months!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,087Posts Today

4,629Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin