Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • 50Twuncle
    • By 50Twuncle 6th Jul 17, 1:09 PM
    • 7,734Posts
    • 1,783Thanks
    50Twuncle
    Internet of Things
    • 6th Jul 17, 1:09 PM
    Internet of Things 6th Jul 17 at 1:09 PM
    By the end of 2017, there will be 8.5 billion internet of things (IoT) devices, compared with just 7.5 billion people.
Page 2
    • 50Twuncle
    • By 50Twuncle 17th Jul 17, 11:32 AM
    • 7,734 Posts
    • 1,783 Thanks
    50Twuncle
    OH was telling me the other day a (possibly apocryphal) story heard about a couple who had an acrimonious breakup. The heating is/was connected to one of these hive gadgets, and the husband moved out, taking the controlling device and the knowledge of such for the CH with him.

Apparently, another male has moved in, and the ex-husband now exacts some form of revenge by remotely changing their central heating timing and temperature for them .....
    Originally posted by googler
    I don't understand HIVE - Why on earth would someone want to switch on/off their central heating remotely from the other end of the country ?
    Have they not heard of Timers ?
    • onomatopoeia99
    • By onomatopoeia99 17th Jul 17, 12:35 PM
    • 3,325 Posts
    • 7,345 Thanks
    onomatopoeia99
    There are occasions, albeit rare ones, when one finds oneself coming home unexpectedly to a cold house as it is some hours until or since the heating is on. Being able to remotely kick it into life before starting the return journey would be helpful in such circumstances.

I am not about to install one just for that reason, but may consider one should my current timer system, which varies the temperature at different times of the day / week, pack up.
    INTP, nerd, libertarian and scifi geek.
    Home is where my books are.
    • Doshwaster
    • By Doshwaster 17th Jul 17, 12:38 PM
    • 4,719 Posts
    • 3,847 Thanks
    Doshwaster
    I don't understand HIVE - Why on earth would someone want to switch on/off their central heating remotely from the other end of the country ?
    Have they not heard of Timers ?
    Originally posted by 50Twuncle
    I once went away on holiday for 2 weeks during the winter and forgot to turn the heating off while I was away. Being able to check and turn off the heating from the beach would have saved me money.

We are still in the very early days of the "smart home" and current applications may seem a little gimmicky but give it a few years and most devices will be smart by default.
    • GunJack
    • By GunJack 17th Jul 17, 1:17 PM
    • 9,693 Posts
    • 7,224 Thanks
    GunJack
    give it a few years and most devices will be smart by default.
    Originally posted by Doshwaster
    Not in my !!!!n house they won't be
    ......Gettin' There, Wherever There is......
    • RumRat
    • By RumRat 17th Jul 17, 1:25 PM
    • 2,473 Posts
    • 1,342 Thanks
    RumRat
    Not in my !!!!n house they won't be
    Originally posted by GunJack
    He said the devices would be smart...
    Drinking Rum before 10am makes you
    A PIRATE
    Not an Alcoholic...!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,746Posts Today

8,250Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin