Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • 50Twuncle
    • By 50Twuncle 6th Jul 17, 1:09 PM
    • 7,676Posts
    • 1,767Thanks
    50Twuncle
    Internet of Things
    • 6th Jul 17, 1:09 PM
    Internet of Things 6th Jul 17 at 1:09 PM
    By the end of 2017, there will be 8.5 billion internet of things (IoT) devices, compared with just 7.5 billion people.
Page 1
    • Inner Zone
    • By Inner Zone 6th Jul 17, 1:25 PM
    • 1,754 Posts
    • 958 Thanks
    Inner Zone
    • 6th Jul 17, 1:25 PM
    • 6th Jul 17, 1:25 PM
    Not money saving related is it? Should you have not posted this on Facebook or Twitter?.
    • 50Twuncle
    • By 50Twuncle 6th Jul 17, 1:36 PM
    • 7,676 Posts
    • 1,767 Thanks
    50Twuncle
    • 6th Jul 17, 1:36 PM
    • 6th Jul 17, 1:36 PM
    Not money saving related is it? Should you have not posted this on Facebook or Twitter?.
    Originally posted by Inner Zone
    No it's purely for interest !!!
    • Farway
    • By Farway 6th Jul 17, 2:36 PM
    • 5,361 Posts
    • 6,143 Thanks
    Farway
    • 6th Jul 17, 2:36 PM
    • 6th Jul 17, 2:36 PM
    By the end of 2017, there will be 8.5 billion internet of things (IoT) devices, compared with just 7.5 billion people.
    Originally posted by 50Twuncle
    And I bet half or more of them will be shoved in cupboard / drawer or just not working anyway
    • kwikbreaks
    • By kwikbreaks 6th Jul 17, 3:04 PM
    • 8,823 Posts
    • 4,411 Thanks
    kwikbreaks
    • 6th Jul 17, 3:04 PM
    • 6th Jul 17, 3:04 PM
    ... and the other half will be hacked and working as a monster botnet.

I've heard ads about Hive (remote control of your central heating) describing it as life changing. I suppose somebody hacking it and naffing up your heating beyond repair midwinter could well be life changing but I don't think that's what the advertisers had in mind - not that I can see how it could ever be life changing in any other way.
    • rhysadams
    • By rhysadams 6th Jul 17, 4:37 PM
    • 197 Posts
    • 47 Thanks
    rhysadams
    • 6th Jul 17, 4:37 PM
    • 6th Jul 17, 4:37 PM
    It amazes me how many devices we have in the home. I used IP Scanner Pro and I have 62 devices connected to the network, there is only two of us in the house!

In the office our IP range goes over 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.10.1 - I dread to think whats connected on that!
    • paddyrg
    • By paddyrg 6th Jul 17, 6:04 PM
    • 13,013 Posts
    • 11,081 Thanks
    paddyrg
    • 6th Jul 17, 6:04 PM
    • 6th Jul 17, 6:04 PM
    It amazes me how many devices we have in the home. I used IP Scanner Pro and I have 62 devices connected to the network, there is only two of us in the house!

In the office our IP range goes over 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.10.1 - I dread to think whats connected on that!
    Originally posted by rhysadams
    I'm a little concerned - 62 connections does sound an awful lot for your own home network, even if you have multiple laptops, phones, CCTV cameras, printers, an IPTV and internet fridge, it still sounds like a lot. You may wish to do a little checking to see if they all belong. Most domestic routers will also not issue that number of leases, so it may warrant a little attention
    • wealdroam
    • By wealdroam 6th Jul 17, 9:03 PM
    • 18,648 Posts
    • 15,548 Thanks
    wealdroam
    • 6th Jul 17, 9:03 PM
    • 6th Jul 17, 9:03 PM
    No it's purely for interest !!!
    Originally posted by 50Twuncle
    There's a board specially for that:

• kwikbreaks
    • By kwikbreaks 6th Jul 17, 9:38 PM
    • 8,823 Posts
    • 4,411 Thanks
    kwikbreaks
    • 6th Jul 17, 9:38 PM
    • 6th Jul 17, 9:38 PM
    It's a techie subject so what's wrong with posting about it here? If you aren't interested in the topic then don't read it.
    • 50Twuncle
    • By 50Twuncle 7th Jul 17, 6:49 AM
    • 7,676 Posts
    • 1,767 Thanks
    50Twuncle
    There's a board specially for that's:

Originally posted by wealdroam
    Go away and read that forum then....
    • GunJack
    • By GunJack 7th Jul 17, 8:04 AM
    • 9,641 Posts
    • 7,198 Thanks
    GunJack
    it's bl00dy stoopid overkill if you ask me....plus many things have already been hit by malware....
    ......Gettin' There, Wherever There is......
    • hans 2
    • By hans 2 7th Jul 17, 8:56 AM
    • 354 Posts
    • 204 Thanks
    hans 2
    ..plus many things have already been hit by malware....
    Originally posted by GunJack
    Check with Bitdefender Home Scanner
    • kwikbreaks
    • By kwikbreaks 7th Jul 17, 10:48 AM
    • 8,823 Posts
    • 4,411 Thanks
    kwikbreaks
    My home network with everything fired up would have maybe 20 devices. How anybody has 62 is a bit of a mystery to me.

Thanks for the network scanner link. I tried it but I'm less than impressed.
    I'm currently away from home so I checked my 4G MiFi. I haven't bothered to change the default admin password on it which is trivially easy to guess.
    Bitdefender Home Scanner looks for vulnerable devices and passwords, and offers detailed security recommendations for your home network
    Well despite easy access to the MiFi which is insecure from within the network it declared no security issues. It was pretty poor in identifying clients too and anybody trying to marry up its report with their devices is likely to be doing some head scratching.

Last edited by kwikbreaks; 07-07-2017 at 10:50 AM.
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 7th Jul 17, 10:55 AM
    • 3,003 Posts
    • 3,028 Thanks
    DoaM
    62 devices sounds like several visitors (e.g. their phones, tablets etc.) have had previous access to the network, and the network summary is also showing legacy (not currently connected) devices.
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
    • TadleyBaggie
    • By TadleyBaggie 7th Jul 17, 11:36 AM
    • 2,339 Posts
    • 1,693 Thanks
    TadleyBaggie
    Originally posted by hans 2
    They don't seem to support macOS users, which is a shame.
    • kwikbreaks
    • By kwikbreaks 7th Jul 17, 12:32 PM
    • 8,823 Posts
    • 4,411 Thanks
    kwikbreaks
    There are a number of similar scanners available for Android phones and tablets so maybe the iStore has something for an iphone (assuming you went the full Apple route).
    • kwikbreaks
    • By kwikbreaks 7th Jul 17, 12:34 PM
    • 8,823 Posts
    • 4,411 Thanks
    kwikbreaks
    62 devices sounds like several visitors (e.g. their phones, tablets etc.) have had previous access to the network, and the network summary is also showing legacy (not currently connected) devices.
    Originally posted by DoaM
    Yes probably correct. Mine only shows current leases but I suppose it could certainly be that,
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 7th Jul 17, 1:03 PM
    • 3,003 Posts
    • 3,028 Thanks
    DoaM
    On my HH4 legacy devices can be shown, but they also show as Not Connected.
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
    • almillar
    • By almillar 7th Jul 17, 1:10 PM
    • 6,979 Posts
    • 2,777 Thanks
    almillar
    Anybody wanting a (fictional) cautionary tale about IoT should watch the latest season of Silicon Valley...
    • googler
    • By googler 10th Jul 17, 12:48 PM
    • 14,372 Posts
    • 9,294 Thanks
    googler
    I've heard ads about Hive (remote control of your central heating) describing it as life changing. I suppose somebody hacking it and naffing up your heating beyond repair midwinter could well be life changing ....
    Originally posted by kwikbreaks
    OH was telling me the other day a (possibly apocryphal) story heard about a couple who had an acrimonious breakup. The heating is/was connected to one of these hive gadgets, and the husband moved out, taking the controlling device and the knowledge of such for the CH with him.

Apparently, another male has moved in, and the ex-husband now exacts some form of revenge by remotely changing their central heating timing and temperature for them .....
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,646Posts Today

7,710Users online

Martin's Twitter