Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • avogadro
    • By avogadro 6th Jul 17, 12:46 PM
    • 3,200Posts
    • 5,393Thanks
    avogadro
    traditional range products/Astral
    • 6th Jul 17, 12:46 PM
    traditional range products/Astral 6th Jul 17 at 12:46 PM
    It's a bit of a minority market but I've been using Boots traditional cold cream for many years, and was disappointed to see it's now been discontinued.

Somebody mentioned to me a product called Astral, which appears to be similar: an old-fashioned no-nonsense skin cream which can be used as a cleanser and make-up remover. I believe they sell it in Superdrug.

Has anybody used this? I would be interested to know what it's like.
Page 1
    • DollyDee
    • By DollyDee 6th Jul 17, 4:35 PM
    • 735 Posts
    • 831 Thanks
    DollyDee
    • 6th Jul 17, 4:35 PM
    • 6th Jul 17, 4:35 PM
    I used it years & years ago. From memory it's similar to the Nivea Creme in a tub.
    • Bathory
    • By Bathory 6th Jul 17, 5:40 PM
    • 183 Posts
    • 2,731 Thanks
    Bathory
    • 6th Jul 17, 5:40 PM
    • 6th Jul 17, 5:40 PM
    I sometimes use Astral at night (mostly in the Winter months) but not all the time as my skin is problematic. I have also used it to take makeup off. Superdrug often has it at half price and a little pot then is only around 60p so not much to lose if it doesn't suit you.

I always apply it lightly otherwise it can be greasy.
    A wise old owl lived in an oak. The more he saw the less he spoke. The less he spoke the more he heard. Why can't we be like that wise old bird?
    • Dclutterchique
    • By Dclutterchique 6th Jul 17, 7:38 PM
    • 98 Posts
    • 495 Thanks
    Dclutterchique
    • 6th Jul 17, 7:38 PM
    • 6th Jul 17, 7:38 PM
    When you say Boots Traditional Cold Cream has been discontinued, do you mean http://www.boots.com/boots-traditional-skin-care-moisturising-cream-with-vitamins-a-and-e-200ml-10002557 which has been discontinued or http://www.boots.com/boots-traditional-skin-care-skin-cream-200ml-10002554 which still appears to be available?
    • avogadro
    • By avogadro 6th Jul 17, 8:22 PM
    • 3,200 Posts
    • 5,393 Thanks
    avogadro
    • 6th Jul 17, 8:22 PM
    • 6th Jul 17, 8:22 PM
    Neither of those, Dclutterchique. This is the one I'm referring to

Possibly they are going to discontinue the whole range at some point. The products have (or had) a small but very loyal customer base.
    • Dclutterchique
    • By Dclutterchique 7th Jul 17, 1:16 PM
    • 98 Posts
    • 495 Thanks
    Dclutterchique
    • 7th Jul 17, 1:16 PM
    • 7th Jul 17, 1:16 PM
    Fair enough, the cold cream has definitely gone, hasn't it? Because the description and some reviews mentioned using the Skin Cream as a cleanser I didn't know if it was the Cold Cream under a different name. I'm sure there must be something out there to replace the cold cream without being a silly price.

ETA
    Just had a nose around and found http://www.pakcosmetics.com/brand/valley-of-the-sun/herbal-creams/hollywood-style-cleansing-cold-cream-with-vitamin-c.html Would this be any good? If you scroll to the bottom of the page and click on the 'Contact Us' link it will bring up a list of their branches. I admit they are very London centric, so may not be of any use if your in another part of the country
    Last edited by Dclutterchique; 07-07-2017 at 3:27 PM.
    • avogadro
    • By avogadro 10th Jul 17, 6:26 PM
    • 3,200 Posts
    • 5,393 Thanks
    avogadro
    • 10th Jul 17, 6:26 PM
    • 10th Jul 17, 6:26 PM
    I sometimes use Astral at night (mostly in the Winter months) but not all the time as my skin is problematic. I have also used it to take makeup off. Superdrug often has it at half price and a little pot then is only around 60p so not much to lose if it doesn't suit you.
    Originally posted by Bathory
    I got a small tub of it in Superdrug today for £1.20. It's quite strongly perfumed. I like the fragrance, but I used to use cold cream as an eye make up remover and I wonder if this product will be too perfumed for that.
    Last edited by avogadro; 10-07-2017 at 6:28 PM.
    • wmf
    • By wmf 14th Jul 17, 9:54 AM
    • 1,776 Posts
    • 21,353 Thanks
    wmf
    • 14th Jul 17, 9:54 AM
    • 14th Jul 17, 9:54 AM
    Should be fine. I have used Nivea for years and always go back to it even after Clinique etc eye make up remover. I think I'm a bit lazy and like using one thing for everything and also have used it so long I miss it if I change.
    • mrschaucer
    • By mrschaucer 15th Jul 17, 7:33 PM
    • 438 Posts
    • 452 Thanks
    mrschaucer
    • 15th Jul 17, 7:33 PM
    • 15th Jul 17, 7:33 PM
    Have you ever tried Ponds? An oldie but a goodie.
    http://www.boots.com/ponds-cold-cream-cleanser-50ml-10112469
    • avogadro
    • By avogadro 15th Jul 17, 8:21 PM
    • 3,200 Posts
    • 5,393 Thanks
    avogadro
    Yes, Ponds is ok. Not as good value for money as the Boots cold cream or the Astral, but it does the job
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,295Posts Today

10,828Users online

Martin's Twitter