Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • The_Bloodster
    • By The_Bloodster 6th Jul 17, 12:41 PM
    • 284Posts
    • 264Thanks
    The_Bloodster
    MSE Credit Club v Credit Card Eligibility tool
    • 6th Jul 17, 12:41 PM
    MSE Credit Club v Credit Card Eligibility tool 6th Jul 17 at 12:41 PM
    I'm confused.

I am looking at a new balance transfer card and I've discovered something strange.

Today I joined the MSE Credit Club out of interest and looked at the cards and it says I have a 100% chance of being accepted for the Virgin Cards (woohoo). However when I checked the Credit Card Eligibility tool on this site yesterday it said my highest rating of acceptance was MBNA at 95%.

So out of interest I checked the tool again and its says I'm not eligible for the Virgin Cards and its 0% acceptance!! I'm confused whats going on really, has anyone had this before and which should I trust?

I think the MSE Credit Club could be right as its powered by Experian.

Not sure, does anyone have any thoughts

Page 1
    • bengalknights
    • By bengalknights 6th Jul 17, 3:00 PM
    • 4,067 Posts
    • 1,485 Thanks
    bengalknights
    • 6th Jul 17, 3:00 PM
    • 6th Jul 17, 3:00 PM
    The eligibility will be more accurate as it runs a soft check
    • The_Bloodster
    • By The_Bloodster 6th Jul 17, 3:08 PM
    • 284 Posts
    • 264 Thanks
    The_Bloodster
    • 6th Jul 17, 3:08 PM
    • 6th Jul 17, 3:08 PM
    I think the MSE Credit Club does too. Also I checked my Clearscore and it also says 100% for the Virgin Card. Strange

• Candyapple
    • By Candyapple 6th Jul 17, 3:10 PM
    • 2,239 Posts
    • 1,700 Thanks
    Candyapple
    • 6th Jul 17, 3:10 PM
    • 6th Jul 17, 3:10 PM
    The best way to check is on Virgin's site directly as they have their own eligibility checker.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Credit Cards, Loans, Credit Files & Ratings boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com
    • The_Bloodster
    • By The_Bloodster 6th Jul 17, 3:18 PM
    • 284 Posts
    • 264 Thanks
    The_Bloodster
    • 6th Jul 17, 3:18 PM
    • 6th Jul 17, 3:18 PM
    Thanks CandyApple

I checked on Virgin and it says I'm pre-approved so will be accepted.

I wonder why the Credit Card Eligibility says not with the same info.

• MSE Chris
    • By MSE Chris 7th Jul 17, 11:23 AM
    • 56 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    MSE Chris
    • 7th Jul 17, 11:23 AM
    • 7th Jul 17, 11:23 AM
    I'm confused.

I am looking at a new balance transfer card and I've discovered something strange.

Today I joined the MSE Credit Club out of interest and looked at the cards and it says I have a 100% chance of being accepted for the Virgin Cards (woohoo). However when I checked the Credit Card Eligibility tool on this site yesterday it said my highest rating of acceptance was MBNA at 95%.

So out of interest I checked the tool again and its says I'm not eligible for the Virgin Cards and its 0% acceptance!! I'm confused whats going on really, has anyone had this before and which should I trust?

I think the MSE Credit Club could be right as its powered by Experian.

Not sure, does anyone have any thoughts
    Originally posted by The_Bloodster
    Hi The_Bloodster,

Both the Credit Club eligibility and our independant eligibility tool are powered by Experian. There's a nifty system in place that means that lenders can't offer pre-approved on both services in quick succession. This prevents users for potentially applying for 2 pre-approved offers at the same time.

Both tools use soft searches to calculate your eligibility so using them won't impact your score
    I hope that helps explain.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

301Posts Today

2,563Users online

Martin's Twitter