Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • misswoosie
    • By misswoosie 6th Jul 17, 12:16 PM
    • 71Posts
    • 33Thanks
    misswoosie
    0 WOW
    Ryanair cabin baggage fine
    • 6th Jul 17, 12:16 PM
    0 WOW
    Ryanair cabin baggage fine 6th Jul 17 at 12:16 PM
    We travelled from NCL to AGP in June. Paid for 1 checked bag. At NCL, both at the check in desk and on entering the boarding gate lounge my husband was asked to put his cabin bag into the bag sizer frame. No problem.No warning re return flight. Nothing. Outgoing the plane was about 80% full and the overhead lockers so full that we had to put his bag about 6 rows in front of us.
    On return, he wasn't asked to put his bag into the gauge at check in, and in fact I don't know if there was one there. As we approached the gate there were 2 women working there. One seated behind a desk and the other taking boarding cards. The woman seated peered out from behind her desk and then said something to the other woman. As we got to her she asked my husband to put his bag into the sizer, which was a completely different size and style from the one at Newcastle. This one was yellow and the bag had to be pushed into the frame from the front. The woman seated said something to her and she shrugged, but then the other woman again spoke to her and she then told us the bag was too big to go in the cabin. We replied that the bag had been fine coming out and that this sizer was completely different from the one at Newcastle. She didn't care. I stated that if a bag came out in the cabin surely you can't say it can't go back . She replied "I can do what I want". I was getting a little upset by this point so my husband asked what the solution was? Was it possible for her to put the bag in the hold ? She shrugged her shoulders and said that wasn't possible because they didn't have the ability to tag the bad for the hold so ....... " and another shrug. My husband asked how we could get the bag home to which she replied that we would have to pay the Euro50 fine and then the bag could go in the cabin. My husband told her that he wasn't paying for the bag to go in the cabin when she'd just said it was too big! Eventually she proceeded to tag the bag and it went in the hold after we'd paid the fine. When we got onto the plane it was about 60% full and the overhead cabin above us was completely empty. As we were going through all of this carry on there was a lady and her daughter sitting waiting for a wheelchair to board the plane and they both had bags that exceeded the depth measurement, however we watched and they boarded the plane and their bags went on the overhead locker. Similarly, when we landed and the lockers were opened, lots of bags were over the depth measurement. We've filled in the online form (not really a complaint form but no other way of contacting them which I never like as you have no record on an online form) and (very briefly due to the 1000 character limit!) explained the use of different sizers, said that if we had been told at NCL that the sizer was different at Malaga then we could have checked the bag in online coming back for £30 and asked why the policy wasn't applied consistently. Ryanair replied via a "no reply" email and reiterated their cabin bag dimensions but failed to answer regarding the use of different bag sizers or the inconsistency of the application of their policies. We've written a letter to them addressing this. Doubt we'll get very far, but wondered if others had had the same problem and wanted to give people a "heads up". Oh, and by the way we were allocated seats 15 rows apart even on the 60% full return flight and paid for one seat that was free next to one of the allocated ones. We only booked out flights about 2 weeks before we flew and at some point I received an email from them saying "Check your cabin bags into the hold for £10". When I clicked on the link it took me to my booking , but no sign of any option to pay £10 to check a cabin bag into the hold. They say online that their policy is that only the first 90 cabin bags will be allowed into the cabin and then the rest will go in the hold for free, but not sure if this is actually happening and instead they're randomly selecting some oversize bags and charging to put them in the hold. We were one of the last to board the plane at Malaga.
Page 2
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 9th Jul 17, 8:06 AM
    • 18,291 Posts
    • 46,813 Thanks
    Pollycat
    It would be interesting to hear about all other very recent summer 2017 Ryanair baggage size experiences - from all departure points, good and bad.

Here's how I see it:

Fact is, for a solid few years, Ryanair had an appalling reputation for their "baggage police" tactics where they seemed to incentivise their mostly outsourced gate staff to be ruthless.

Until Always Getting Better was fully inculcated to the outsourced staff, I witnessed a number of instances of what I interpreted as "easy prey targeting" by baggage police - often against those who simply looked anxious or stressed and inexperienced and particular if dress or demeanour signalled they were foreign to the country of departure ... style of dress or demeanour sometimes being a giveaway tell-tale.

"Always Getting Better" policy had of course formally added the second bag plus airport purchases at all their destinations, but many passengers perhaps still do not know much about how big a difference it can make or how to exploit it. It also seemed to do away with baggage police inspections in 99% of gate queues.

Anyway, now I am not so sure that Always Getting Better is the current intention - recent experience and reports suggest there may be some reversals in civility as deliberate policy, so as a very regular customer over many years of changes, I think it only fair to warn MSEers that I think it is the weakest, less focussed, unwitting and less experienced customers who suffer most from such reversals. I do not like to see it practiced that way.
    Originally posted by agarnett
    So you see the OP and her partner as "the weakest, less focussed, unwitting and less experienced customers"?

Reading her later 2 posts I wouldn't make that assumption.

Personally, I think the post below has it spot-on.
    Here's how I see it:

The OP has been asked several times about the actual size of the bag. She has not provided the information. I suspect she knows that bags dimensions were greater than the permitted size.

On the outbound flight she got away with it and got to take her bag into the cabin.

On the return she was caught out and made to pay the gate fee to check it.

She's bitter about not getting away with it a second time.
    Originally posted by Westin
    • agarnett
    • By agarnett 9th Jul 17, 9:55 AM
    • 1,282 Posts
    • 536 Thanks
    agarnett
    I wasn't making any rash generalisation about the OP. You seem quite right, the OP was focussed enough to come here to share experience. I don't detect bitterness, just plain accurate observation of inconsistency between outbound and inbound treatment, an observation of power trip gate staff perhaps, and a desire to tell people about it.

Just as a matter of curiosity, what Ryanair experiences can you share, Pollycat, which we might take onboard next trip?
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 9th Jul 17, 10:04 AM
    • 18,291 Posts
    • 46,813 Thanks
    Pollycat
    I wasn't making any rash generalisation about the OP. You seem quite right, the OP was focussed enough to come here to share experience. I don't detect bitterness, just plain accurate observation of inconsistency between outbound and inbound treatment, an observation of power trip gate staff perhaps, and a desire to tell people about it.

Just as a matter of curiosity, what Ryanair experiences can you share, Pollycat, which we might take onboard next trip?
    Or perhaps more lax gate staff on the outbound flight and a person who expects passengers to adhere to the rules on the inbound....?

As Westin points out: "the OP has been asked several times about the actual size of the bag. She has not provided the information." so we do not know if her partner's bag was actually oversized or not.
    • leylandsunaddict
    • By leylandsunaddict 9th Jul 17, 10:10 AM
    • 1,503 Posts
    • 1,020 Thanks
    leylandsunaddict

As Westin points out: "the OP has been asked several times about the actual size of the bag. She has not provided the information." so we do not know if her partner's bag was actually oversized or not.
    Originally posted by Pollycat
    She posted on TA and was asked about her bag size there too, but never provided the information.
    • pocketslint
    • By pocketslint 9th Jul 17, 10:22 AM
    • 56 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    pocketslint
    leylandsunaddict, please excuse my ignorance, but what does TA relate to?

I am genuinely interested in this thread as I travel regularly with Ryanair. Never any problems, but I do always follow the 'rules' and from personal experience, if staff had an inclination to refuse any baggage they would never need to target baggage of the correct dimensions/weight.
    • agarnett
    • By agarnett 9th Jul 17, 10:35 AM
    • 1,282 Posts
    • 536 Thanks
    agarnett
    TA I presume is Trip Advisor.

I have to admit to being slightly amused by the phenomenon of holier than thou posters who wouldn't dream of trying to pass through a gate with a centimetre or ten oversized anything

As a different kind of fish entirely, I am constantly thrashing about here trying to think of a good analogy for the behaviour, and the best I have come up with is sardines who willingly will trim themselves to size before laying down quietly in the can and taking the sauce

We are all surely allowed to live a little? Or do we have to squeeze ourselves tightly into a regulation sized cocoon of our real selves until we are free to blossom out in the destination sun like the beautiful butterflies we really are?

Sorry - that turned out as two weird analogies

Ryanair bends rules barefacedly big time to suit its agenda - that's one culture. But we can't - even a little bit quietly?
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 9th Jul 17, 10:44 AM
    • 18,291 Posts
    • 46,813 Thanks
    Pollycat
    TA I presume is Trip Advisor.

I have to admit to being slightly amused by the phenomenon of holier than thou posters who wouldn't dream of trying to pass through a gate with a centimetre or ten oversized anything

As a different kind of fish entirely, I am constantly thrashing about here trying to think of a good analogy for the behaviour, and the best I have come up with is sardines who willingly will trim themselves to size before laying down quietly in the can and taking the sauce

We are all surely allowed to live a little? Or do we have to squeeze ourselves tightly into a regulation sized cocoon of our real selves until we are free to blossom out in the destination sun like the beautiful butterflies we really are?

Sorry - that turned out as two weird analogies

Ryanair bends rules barefacedly big time to suit its agenda - that's one culture. But we can't - even a little bit quietly?
    Laugh on.

I make sure my hand luggage is the right size.
    I make sure I have the right # of items of hand luggage (usually less) be it one item or 1 item plus small bag.
    I make sure that my hand luggage is under the maximum weight allowance.
    I make sure my hold luggage is under the maximum weight allowance.

I pass through check-in and board the plane without any problems whatsoever.

I've never experienced anything like what the OP (and countless other posters on this and other fora) says happened to her.

So really - who is the laugh on?
    • agarnett
    • By agarnett 9th Jul 17, 11:23 AM
    • 1,282 Posts
    • 536 Thanks
    agarnett
    So really - who is the laugh on?
    I am not sure it's on anyone - does their have to be a laugh on someone to keep the world spinning?

My record in one cabin bag is 19kg when baggage police were at their busiest a few years back. I knew the risk. I regularly carry on 2 bags that are 55x40x20 with 55x40x35 tendencies which I keep in check, but I don't stuff the second one - it is a very lightweight G-Star one with a zip top along one of the long sides and when I am not using it my Samsonite regulation sized more substantial main bag fits exactly inside the G-Star if I want to make it one bag.

Generally I carry soft stuff in the second bag and of course could squash it into a small space if it got tested.

You do realise that Martin Lewis himself was recommending poachers/fishermens type pocketed jackets during the height of the nastier baggage police activity of a few years back?

Most of us on this site are moneysavers, yet a whole bunch of us will admit to even having been caught speeding at sometime in our lives. We try not to get caught 'cos it costs, but we generally get to where we plan to go in swiftsure fashion and before the best bargains are gone, and as we get older, maybe we get craftier and caught less

Maybe that applies to airlines too. Laugh Off.
    Last edited by agarnett; 09-07-2017 at 11:27 AM.
    • IAmWales
    • By IAmWales 9th Jul 17, 11:26 AM
    • 1,625 Posts
    • 3,348 Thanks
    IAmWales
    What "rules" do Ryanair barefacedly bend?

I'm assuming you're referring to regulation and other statutory instruments, not just something you've made up.
    • agarnett
    • By agarnett 9th Jul 17, 11:45 AM
    • 1,282 Posts
    • 536 Thanks
    agarnett
    What "rules" do Ryanair barefacedly bend?

I'm assuming you're referring to regulation and other statutory instruments, not just something you've made up.
    Originally posted by IAmWales
    Well you could try Googling Ryanair ASA OFT CAA to remind yourself for starters, and Ryanair unfair financial aid Strasbourg, Ryanair Germany Credit Card Charge, Ryanair Denmark Unions, Ryanair secret subsidies, Ryanair self employed pilot tax. Those few just off the top of my Ryanair pretty fluent head - you just couldn't make it up!

But don't get me wrong - I do enjoy my Ryanair flights once I am settled onboard and maybe blagged a good seat too if it isn't too busy
    Last edited by agarnett; 09-07-2017 at 11:47 AM.
    • richardw
    • By richardw 9th Jul 17, 12:20 PM
    • 18,292 Posts
    • 7,565 Thanks
    richardw
    Get yourself a hard sided compliant 20cm 4 wheel case in a dark colour https://www.johnlewis.com/american-tourister-bon-air-4-wheel-55cm-cabin-suitcase-black/p2581087 and you'll look like a smart traveller and you will generally be ignored.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
    • Doc N
    • By Doc N 9th Jul 17, 12:44 PM
    • 6,379 Posts
    • 19,282 Thanks
    Doc N
    This might help: http://www.customessayhelp.com/blog/writing-skills/paragraph-writing-importance-and-structure-of-paragraph/
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 9th Jul 17, 1:14 PM
    • 18,291 Posts
    • 46,813 Thanks
    Pollycat
    I am not sure it's on anyone - does their have to be a laugh on someone to keep the world spinning?
    Based on your 'amused' comment.
    You do realise that Martin Lewis himself was recommending poachers/fishermens type pocketed jackets during the height of the nastier baggage police activity of a few years back?
    Yes I do realise.
    Do airline rules mention you can't carry stuff in a coat you wear?
    That'll be 'no' then.
    So that recommendation is totally irrelevant to the discussion about over sized hand luggage.
    Most of us on this site are moneysavers, yet a whole bunch of us will admit to even having been caught speeding at sometime in our lives. We try not to get caught 'cos it costs, but we generally get to where we plan to go in swiftsure fashion and before the best bargains are gone, and as we get older, maybe we get craftier and caught less
    I won't admit to being caught speeding because I never have.
    TBH, I'm really not that desperate to secure a bargain.
    Maybe that applies to airlines too. Laugh Off.
    So you're no longer 'slightly amused'....
    • agarnett
    • By agarnett 9th Jul 17, 3:00 PM
    • 1,282 Posts
    • 536 Thanks
    agarnett
    Do airline rules mention you can't carry stuff in a coat you wear?
    That'll be 'no' then.
    So that recommendation is totally irrelevant to the discussion about over sized hand luggage.
    Says you! I suppose the relevance or otherwise actually depends whether you are genuinely interested in the reactive behaviour and lot of Ryanair passengers or just content to categorise passenger behaviours as one side or other of the airline's rules as set and reviewed from time to time.

Since I consider you to be somewhat splitting hairs - 'cos I reckon perhaps less than half of Ryanair's passengers use regulation sized cabin bags - and since the bins (and underseat floorspaces too) are often quite a hotchpotch of stuffed loose items, airport purchases, heavy coats, light coats, laundry bags etc, all usually encouraged to fit the bins with that extra bit of umph that only the latecomers know how to administer, I wonder how this next example of my winter dress behaviour more than once in the nastier days of the past fits your black and white judgements:

If I carry an extra bag under my coat as opposed to in a pocket of my coat, is that a breach of the airline's rules? And if I take the coat off in the plane, must I keep the extra bag wrapped in the coat? And if a member of the cabin crew sees exactly what I have done as I transfer it all into the bin, do you expect them to
    1. smile
    2. frown
    3. tell me not to do it again
    4. tell their #1
    5. note my allocated seat and report what they saw on a special form to head office
    6. tell the captain?
    7. try to sell me some scratchcards later based on the special rapport already built when I got on

I won't admit to being caught speeding because I never have.
    TBH, I'm really not that desperate to secure a bargain.
    Fair enough.
    Last edited by agarnett; 09-07-2017 at 3:04 PM.
    • Jonmenzies
    • By Jonmenzies 9th Jul 17, 9:49 PM
    • 48 Posts
    • 20 Thanks
    Jonmenzies
    I am not sure if we need any links on grammar or on paragraphs. And we don't need any comments about it either. People come here looking for help. Not advice on how it shows on the screen. If you can't read what the OP wrote, move on.

It seems to me, that whatever the OP had written, they were not going to get much help. First the spacing of the question gets commented on and too many people are happy to log in here and even bother to reply and say "tried to read it and got bored".

Then we get the other replies saying to measure the bag.

The Op said the sizers are different depending on where you are boarding a Ryanair flight.

So it's not about the size of the bag. It's about the sizers being different.

So maybe if we can deal with the sizers being different, then we are done.

That way it would be a place for advice and not a place where you are knocked for not having the same level of education, grammar etc etc
    Last edited by Jonmenzies; 09-07-2017 at 9:59 PM. Reason: spelling
    • EssexExile
    • By EssexExile 9th Jul 17, 10:15 PM
    • 2,423 Posts
    • 1,607 Thanks
    EssexExile
    So maybe if we can deal with the sizers being different, then we are done.
    Originally posted by Jonmenzies
    That's the gist of a lot of the replies. Is one over large or the other over small? That's why many have asked the OP to say whether the bags were oversized or not. Are they sticking to the rules on the way out & cheating on the way back or being over-generous on the way out & strict on the way back?
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
    • warehouse
    • By warehouse 9th Jul 17, 10:29 PM
    • 3,010 Posts
    • 5,637 Thanks
    warehouse
    Good lord if you want to see how to stop people visiting the site then this thread is the classic example. Bullying and cliques at it's finest.
    Pants
    • Doc N
    • By Doc N 9th Jul 17, 10:38 PM
    • 6,379 Posts
    • 19,282 Thanks
    Doc N
    Good lord if you want to see how to stop people visiting the site then this thread is the classic example. Bullying and cliques at it's finest.
    Originally posted by warehouse
    Or, put another way, advice on how best to make a long post easily readable so that people respond to it rather than avoiding it. It's a useful lesson in life, and goes far beyond forum postings.
    • Jonmenzies
    • By Jonmenzies 9th Jul 17, 11:19 PM
    • 48 Posts
    • 20 Thanks
    Jonmenzies
    Don N. Not the best comparison.
    • Jonmenzies
    • By Jonmenzies 9th Jul 17, 11:23 PM
    • 48 Posts
    • 20 Thanks
    Jonmenzies
    Edited this post because the post I was replying to has been deleted. So my post makes no sense now. Sorry.
    Last edited by Jonmenzies; 10-07-2017 at 1:48 AM. Reason: other
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

322Posts Today

1,824Users online

Martin's Twitter