Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Megan F
    • By MSE Megan F 6th Jul 17, 11:55 AM
    • 108Posts
    • 34Thanks
    MSE Megan F
    MSE News: Victory! Debt write-off for Vodafone customer who disputed a £10,500 bill
    • 6th Jul 17, 11:55 AM
    MSE News: Victory! Debt write-off for Vodafone customer who disputed a £10,500 bill 6th Jul 17 at 11:55 AM
    A Vodafone customer in dispute over a mobile bill has won a maximum £10,000 ombudsman pay-out and forced the telecoms giant to write off the rest of the debt...
    Read the full story:
    íVictory! Debt write-off for Vodafone customer who disputed a £10,500 bill'

Click reply below to discuss. If you havenít already, join the forum to reply.

Follow the Forum on Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest
    Join the MSE Forum
    New forum user? Watch our New to the Forum? Youtube guide
    Get the Free Martin's Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag up a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
Page 1
    • VT82
    • By VT82 6th Jul 17, 2:16 PM
    • 919 Posts
    • 735 Thanks
    VT82
    • 6th Jul 17, 2:16 PM
    • 6th Jul 17, 2:16 PM
    Yes, Vodafone ballsed up, but seriously... 200GB of data in one month!? According to Google, that's about 300 hours of iPlayer, or 10 hours a day, every day. What kind of idiot assumed that 10 hours a day of video streaming would be within any kind of contracted amount or cap he thought he had?!?! If you haven't got the app, or any other way to automatically check your usage, you would want to call their free customer services number to check your usage and allowance. Unless that is you are deliberately burying your head in the sand so you can later plead ignorance.

It's right that he's had a big chunk of it written off because of Vodafone's lax practices, but if I was proven to be as dumb as him, I wouldn't want to have my face plastered all over the coverage of this story. And by the way, when you describe yourself as 'loyal' for being with the same mobile company for 25 years, you're not engendering more sympathy with the reader, you're simply making people think all the more that you're plain gullible.
    • Ian011
    • By Ian011 6th Jul 17, 2:24 PM
    • 1,722 Posts
    • 965 Thanks
    Ian011
    • 6th Jul 17, 2:24 PM
    • 6th Jul 17, 2:24 PM
    How the heck did we get to the point where accessing the internet for a month costs more than a CAR?

When buying a car, you have the option of spreading the payments over many years. Vodafone wanted this in one month!
    • AR2012
    • By AR2012 6th Jul 17, 9:10 PM
    • 51 Posts
    • 1,805 Thanks
    AR2012
    • 6th Jul 17, 9:10 PM
    • 6th Jul 17, 9:10 PM
    They call it bill shock and if you want to compare it i had a person who racked up a £3.5k bill using 12gb of gprs somewhere in asia (on leave). thats the worst example of telcos i can think of.
    • mailmannz
    • By mailmannz 7th Jul 17, 9:39 AM
    • 190 Posts
    • 76 Thanks
    mailmannz
    • 7th Jul 17, 9:39 AM
    • 7th Jul 17, 9:39 AM
    It's right that he's had a big chunk of it written off because of Vodafone's lax practices, but if I was proven to be as dumb as him, I wouldn't want to have my face plastered all over the coverage of this story.
    Originally posted by VT82
    The whole issue here is that Vodafone had no controls in place to ensure issues like this would to happen. Thats it right there. No need to delve in to the "what a moron for letting this happen" path because that is neither here nor there.

HAD Vodafone had the appropriate controls in place and actually capped the users data, instead of increasing it which is NOT what he asked for, then this whole matter would not have occurred.

Mailman
    • phillw
    • By phillw 7th Jul 17, 11:57 PM
    • 611 Posts
    • 270 Thanks
    phillw
    • 7th Jul 17, 11:57 PM
    • 7th Jul 17, 11:57 PM
    The whole issue here is that Vodafone had no controls in place to ensure issues like this would to happen. Thats it right there. No need to delve in to the "what a moron for letting this happen" path because that is neither here nor there.
    Originally posted by mailmannz
    How can vodaphone prevent someone from sharing their dongle and use all that data, send someone round with every sim?

Sure he might want there to be a cap on his data usage, but the account didn't have a cap so he should have made other arrangements.
    • grumbler
    • By grumbler 8th Jul 17, 10:07 PM
    • 51,388 Posts
    • 21,755 Thanks
    grumbler
    • 8th Jul 17, 10:07 PM
    • 8th Jul 17, 10:07 PM
    If it's mobile broadband, why on earth the dongle is "WiFi"?
    It's simply unbelievable how the same error can spread unnoticed from one article to another...
    Last edited by grumbler; 08-07-2017 at 10:10 PM.
    We are born naked, wet and hungry...Then things get worse.

.withdrawal, NOT withdrawel ..bear with me, NOT bare with me
    .definitely, NOT definately ......separate, NOT seperate
    should have, NOT should of
    .....guaranteed, NOT guarenteed
    • phillw
    • By phillw 10th Jul 17, 7:39 AM
    • 611 Posts
    • 270 Thanks
    phillw
    • 10th Jul 17, 7:39 AM
    • 10th Jul 17, 7:39 AM
    If it's mobile broadband, why on earth the dongle is "WiFi"?
    It's simply unbelievable how the same error can spread unnoticed from one article to another...
    Originally posted by grumbler
    Is it one of those 3G powered Wi-Fi hotspots? He shared it with his friends, which seems more reasonable with a hotspot than one of the USB dongles.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,779Posts Today

8,193Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin