MSE News: Victory! Debt write-off for Vodafone customer who disputed a £10,500 bill

A Vodafone customer in dispute over a mobile bill has won a maximum £10,000 ombudsman pay-out and forced the telecoms giant to write off the rest of the debt...
Read the full story:
’Victory! Debt write-off for Vodafone customer who disputed a £10,500 bill'
OfficialStamp.gif
Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.
Read the latest MSE News
Flag up a news story: [email protected]
Get the Free Martin's Money Tips E-mail

Comments

• VT82
    VT82 Posts: 1,079
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Yes, Vodafone ballsed up, but seriously... 200GB of data in one month!? According to Google, that's about 300 hours of iPlayer, or 10 hours a day, every day. What kind of idiot assumed that 10 hours a day of video streaming would be within any kind of contracted amount or cap he thought he had?!?! If you haven't got the app, or any other way to automatically check your usage, you would want to call their free customer services number to check your usage and allowance. Unless that is you are deliberately burying your head in the sand so you can later plead ignorance.

It's right that he's had a big chunk of it written off because of Vodafone's lax practices, but if I was proven to be as dumb as him, I wouldn't want to have my face plastered all over the coverage of this story. And by the way, when you describe yourself as 'loyal' for being with the same mobile company for 25 years, you're not engendering more sympathy with the reader, you're simply making people think all the more that you're plain gullible.
  • Ian011
    Ian011 Posts: 2,432
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    How the heck did we get to the point where accessing the internet for a month costs more than a CAR?

When buying a car, you have the option of spreading the payments over many years. Vodafone wanted this in one month!
  • AR2012
    AR2012 Posts: 1,044
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    They call it bill shock and if you want to compare it i had a person who racked up a £3.5k bill using 12gb of gprs somewhere in asia (on leave). thats the worst example of telcos i can think of.
  • mailmannz
    mailmannz Posts: 311
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    VT82 wrote: »
    It's right that he's had a big chunk of it written off because of Vodafone's lax practices, but if I was proven to be as dumb as him, I wouldn't want to have my face plastered all over the coverage of this story.

The whole issue here is that Vodafone had no controls in place to ensure issues like this would to happen. Thats it right there. No need to delve in to the "what a moron for letting this happen" path because that is neither here nor there.

HAD Vodafone had the appropriate controls in place and actually capped the users data, instead of increasing it which is NOT what he asked for, then this whole matter would not have occurred.

Mailman
  • phillw
    phillw Posts: 5,593
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    mailmannz wrote: »
    The whole issue here is that Vodafone had no controls in place to ensure issues like this would to happen. Thats it right there. No need to delve in to the "what a moron for letting this happen" path because that is neither here nor there.

How can vodaphone prevent someone from sharing their dongle and use all that data, send someone round with every sim?

Sure he might want there to be a cap on his data usage, but the account didn't have a cap so he should have made other arrangements.
  • grumbler
    grumbler Posts: 58,629
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 8 July 2017 at 9:10PM
    If it's mobile broadband, why on earth the dongle is "WiFi"?
    It's simply unbelievable how the same error can spread unnoticed from one article to another...
  • phillw
    phillw Posts: 5,593
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    grumbler wrote: »
    If it's mobile broadband, why on earth the dongle is "WiFi"?
    It's simply unbelievable how the same error can spread unnoticed from one article to another...

Is it one of those 3G powered Wi-Fi hotspots? He shared it with his friends, which seems more reasonable with a hotspot than one of the USB dongles.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure